'Warning about up and coming OTA' from Shadowmite, Member of Unrevoked

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Shadowmite, from the famed Unrevoked team (those responsible for the easy rooting of the Droid Incredible, EVO 4G, and more) has released a 'warning' to any root users looking to upgrade to the impending Froyo OTA. The OTA was confirmed to be coming in late July or early August. However, according to Shadowmite:

Shadowmite said:
While the leaked OTA 2.2 is fine, and rooted, you might want to consider using it or sitting and waiting when the offical one hits. It's looking pretty likely that the official one will be unrootable for the near future. The almost released and then removed EVO update is extremely secure and removed ALL our exploits. Even the ones we weren't announcing. Just wanted to get this warning out. If you run it, you may be giving up root. I highly advise waiting for safe ways to update.

As soon as we finish s_off (we're getting really close) you won't have to worry about complex flashes to keep a valid signature on zip files as you'll be able to flash anything. Please be patient and wait if you care to be rooted.

So for those of you holding off because you want the official release, this may cause some problems. Shadowmite is basically assuming that the Incredible version of the OTA will be tightly locked down, very similar to the the leaked Evo 4G build.

[XDA-Developers]

Sere81

May 2, 2010
Visit site
hmm, do I let my wife download the official OTA froyo, or root hers and have her run either the leaked version or one of the new froyo roms sure to come out?

I just got to talk her into letting me root first, lol

izzyncade

Master of the Universe
May 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really seeing the benefits of root just yet... I do like launcher pro though... I do like the idea of having a real OTA update on the phone also... to many storm updates and firmware debacles... oh those were the days....

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm not really seeing the benefits of root just yet... I do like launcher pro though... I do like the idea of having a real OTA update on the phone also... to many storm updates and firmware debacles... oh those were the days....

For me benefits of root are being able to change how my phone looks. I like the ability to theme and flash different roms with different options. Its nice to use the some applications that only work for root users like root explorer, set CPU, and Rom manager. And the best part is being able to remove stock applications that I don't use to keep my app drawer clean.

ncsttsccr#AC

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
For me benefits of root are being able to change how my phone looks. I like the ability to theme and flash different roms with different options. Its nice to use the some applications that only work for root users like root explorer, set CPU, and Rom manager. And the best part is being able to remove stock applications that I don't use to keep my app drawer clean.

Same here, I'm rooted so that I have MANY more options as far as the aesthetics and performance of the phone. I'll see if i can get some pics up later.

As an example on the UI part;

I have a vanilla lockscreen and google desclock, which I prefer. I use fancy widget to get the same sense looking clock while tapping launches the google desk clock instead of the htc clock. I have the option to wake the phone using the trackpad instead of just the power button,

An example on the performance side;

I use SkyRaider 2.0.1 which includes autokiller, which I have set to pretty aggressively clear empy appss/content providers/hidden apps...i also use autostarts to help with keeping unused apps from starting unless i specifically open them.

pmdied

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I like wifi tether and would not want to give that up for 2.2; I'll wait until the Devs crack it and make it rootable.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I really want to use set cpu. Maybe I'll install the leak tomorrow. I need to read the while xda thread to make sure i get all the fixes.

jland22

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
lol this thread is so funny

I went ahead and rooted my phone and installed 2.2. Everything runs well so far and my benchmark scores more than doubled! Does setCPU work for incredibles? It appears from reading the user comments from the app that there was not support as of now but in the near future.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and rooted my phone and installed 2.2. Everything runs well so far and my benchmark scores more than doubled! Does setCPU work for incredibles? It appears from reading the user comments from the app that there was not support as of now but in the near future.

well i would not suggest using it with this phone. it seems that it does not mix well with our proc. but you can go into the market and get an app that does do the same thing and works just fine with it. the app is called "overclock widget". but, if you are on one of the new 2.2 leaks then there is no use for something of this nature unless you wanted to underclock

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn