Newly Rooted, What ROM?

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey all. I finally took the plunge and rooted my Incredible. One of the main reasons I did this was because I was sick of waiting on VZW for Froyo. So obviously, I would like a Froyo based build, with Sense. Now as far as I can tell, I want the latest leak based off the OTA that was released on 8/1(I think). And to get this, I need to first install the first leak. I believe the first leak updates the radio on my Incredible correct? My question is about this updated radio. Somehow I came to assume that this is not really the "norm" when it comes to flashing ROMs.

Either way, what I would like to now is there any down sides to updating the radio? Is it particularly dangerous or hard? Also can it be reverted back to the original? So basically:

1. Is the best Sense based Froyo build the leak, released on 8/1, based off the OTA?
2. I need to get the first leak, to install the latest leak right?
3. Anything to worry about with updating the radio and can I revert back to original radio?
4. I heard that with the OTA, it might make rooting a lot more difficult. So I want to manually install Froyo so I can keep root. After the OTA is released, will I be able to download that exact one? Or will that mess up rooting options? Think someone will make a ROM based off the OTA with this latest one so close to the OTA now?

Ok, sorry to bombard you all, but just like to be certain, and rooting/hacking/ROMs are a new thing for me as far as Android goes. Thanks for any help you can offer.

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey all. I finally took the plunge and rooted my Incredible. One of the main reasons I did this was because I was sick of waiting on VZW for Froyo. So obviously, I would like a Froyo based build, with Sense. Now as far as I can tell, I want the latest leak based off the OTA that was released on 8/1(I think). And to get this, I need to first install the first leak. I believe the first leak updates the radio on my Incredible correct? My question is about this updated radio. Somehow I came to assume that this is not really the "norm" when it comes to flashing ROMs.

Either way, what I would like to now is there any down sides to updating the radio? Is it particularly dangerous or hard? Also can it be reverted back to the original? So basically:

1. Is the best Sense based Froyo build the leak, released on 8/1, based off the OTA?
2. I need to get the first leak, to install the latest leak right?
3. Anything to worry about with updating the radio and can I revert back to original radio?
4. I heard that with the OTA, it might make rooting a lot more difficult. So I want to manually install Froyo so I can keep root. After the OTA is released, will I be able to download that exact one? Or will that mess up rooting options? Think someone will make a ROM based off the OTA with this latest one so close to the OTA now?

Ok, sorry to bombard you all, but just like to be certain, and rooting/hacking/ROMs are a new thing for me as far as Android goes. Thanks for any help you can offer.

The easiest way to tell you is to send you to the source: XDA Developers.

1. There's a thread there that has the 8-1 leak. Read the thread carefully, as they have two downloads...the complete download and one that's got some of the guts stripped out of it. No matter which one you go with, there are bugs, so beware.

2. You do not have to have the first leak to install the second. A Titanium Backup is strongly suggested, as you should do a wipe before you install any ROM that's not an update.

3. With all of the leaks I'm aware of, they warn to install the OTA-dinc first.

4. Yes...one of the unrEVOked team has warned that all of the exploits they've used to root are cut off in the Verizon OTA. That doesn't mean there won't be root in the new update, but rather it might take a while before they can pull it off. They are a persistent bunch. And no...from what I've read, you do not want to install the Verizon OTA over the leaked version.

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thank Douger. After I rooted, I did both a nandroid backup, and a Titanium backup. I have been reading up on xda, among other sites, just still trying to process all the info. Thinking I may give Cyanogen a shot. As long as it's easy enough to revert back to the stock ROM so I can flash a different one, I wouldn't mind trying a few of them out to see what suits me best. Thanks again.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Using ROM manager makes it easy to bounce back and forth between ROM's. I've also found that paying for Titanium Backup is worthwhile too. When performing a batch restore there is no user input required...great for letting me work on something else while the phone recovers.

I've been using the PMF ROM as my daily, I quite like it. I've also used Jager ROM, Sky Raider, and Cyanogen. Jager and Sky Raider performed fine, Cyanogen seemed a bit slower in transition and scrolling. In any event - it's fun trying them all out!

Steve in CT

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have only used Cyanogen so far. I really want to try Sky Raider, but was a little thrown off about the radio update. Hearing that may lead to trouble in the future, specifically in regards to being able to get any future updates. However, I don't really see why I would want to break root for an OTA when someone makes one before the OTAs are released anyway lol.

Sere81

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the leaked ota since it came out, patched with the bugg fixes since that came out and am getting fed up. The browser is a pos now it seems. it seems laggy as heck, very non responsive to any movements. Maybe it's because full flash is running now?

I've got to try something else. Maybe sky raider.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have run both PMF and Sky Raider without any issues. I prefer the VanillaSense experience of PMF to Sky Raider's pure sense, but I have found they both perform well.

AndrOid - The radio was easy to update and a method to restore to the old radio has already been identified.

Steve in CT

jland22

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Does he have the camera issue resolved? I hadn't seen any updates in a couple of weeks...and I'm not quite steely enough to use one of the nightlies..

It appears the reason the camcorder and other issues were present was because the OTA roms did not update the systems radio 2.x. There is a fix to this that you can update using a zip that updates the radio from 1.x to 2.x over at the XDA site.

[ROM]*07/27 Leaked OTA* Stock 2.2 with Sense [SOME BUGS!!] - xda-developers

So i found this out after I rooted and installed the leaked OTA and the only issue I have was the camcorder not working and causing the phone to reboot after hitting the record button.

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey thanks for the responses all. I might have mentioned in the OP, but I am proficient enough in computers, tho I didn't have any experience with coding/hacking/modding. However with such an awesome community around Android, some really intuitive tools and ROMs by some great devs, and a couple helpful people, I was able to root my Incredible and flash a ROM on my Incredible. First of all, I should have done that way earlier! It's like having a brand new phone all over again. A brand new better phone! I'll be rooted for life now.

Anyway, I firstly loaded CyanogenMod 6. I have always been a Sesne fan(tho I've always admitted every Android phone I've had was from HTC so I didn't have anything to compare it to), but CM quickly had me feelin' Vanilla for sure. I really like that ROM. Was really missing my camcorder, but definitely liked it. Tonight, however, I grabbed Sky Raider 2.2 which has kept me busy tonight. I actually chose the Vanilla version too :p Yea I'm really loving this ROM as well. Has some cool elements to it and it seems a bit faster. I like em both so probably will go back and forth a little bit until I decide which one will be my daily ROM. Or until a new one comes out lol.

So to sum it up: Rooting and Flashing ROMs is damn addicting! I was so sick of waiting for updates, dealing with bloatware, and not being able to use my phone howI wanted too. Android is great, the community is great, and what some of these dev's do is barely short of amazing on a bad day. I'm new so don't know everyone who is involved and where, but a big thanks to Koush, the UnrEVOked team, ROM Manager, Cyanogen, Ihtfp69, Android Central, My DroidWorld, and all the Android Lovers that are willing to help make Android what it is--be it by giving some advice in a post, walking a stranger through rooting of flashing a rom on skype or IRC, or helping however/whenever they can. Also to all the devs making the great apps on the market. I gladly pay for apps that I love and use, and love to see ads if it supports the devs work and helps build a solid Android development community. I'd love to see some more Apple-crushing numbers :p Well, looks like my excitement for my new love and addiction, hacking and modding Android devices, has got me carrying on, so I'll leave it at that. Sorry for rambling and thanks again everyone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol