How to fix Swype issues and Froyo ROMs.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
For myself and a few others who have installed a Froyo ROM and the newest Swype beta you may have an issue. When trying to Swype in a word the keyboard just "dings" at you and nothing is entered leaving you having to enter in each letter like a normal keyboard. Well I found a fix and it's pretty simple.

Before doing these steps you will need to snag 'Android Mate' from the market. It's free and extremely easy to use if you are used to using Astro.

1. If you've attempted any Swype installation, uninstall Swype and Swype Installed using Manage Applications. Also delete any downloaded files related to Swype from downloads folder (using Android Mate).

2. Reboot into recover and wipe cache.

3. Reboot and let phone settle. Reopen Swype email with Installer link. Click link and download.

4. Using Android Mate, open swype_installer.apk in downloads.

5. Run install, but don't open when finished. Just click Done.

6. In Android Mate, navigate to /data/app and confirm that com.swype.apk is in there, and not in /mnt/sdcard/data/app. You may have to hit the backup button once to get to the right spot to find your /data/app folder.

7. Run Swype Installer from Apps Manager in Android Mate. Follow instructions.

8. Should be working now!

You should now have a working Swype installation. Seems sometime during the registration / installation of the keyboard something gets mucked up so this solves that issue. Happy Swyping!

DonDallas71

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have had similar issues that seem to come back every so often after reboots and such and only messes up in some apps and not others. I was originally installing and reinstalling from the email link when that happened. What I have found, is that if while in the app giving me the issue I switch back to the stock keyboard and then immediately back to swype again, it will fix the issue. It will occasionally revert back to not working, but now that I know how to fix it, it doesn't bother me so much. You can usually tell there is an issue if there is a red icon in the upper right corner of the space bar. Not sure what that means exactly within swype, but translates to "not working". When it won't let me swype, it still lets me use the keyboard in the normal fashion.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I've been running the themed swype posted over at xda. I haven't had any problems with the red theme - which fits nicely with JagerRom 3.2 theming.

Here's the thread.

Steve in CT

XideXL

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Just tried this and seems to be working so far, hopefully it doesn't freeze up any more in the future. As for the red icon on the spacebar in Swype, that means auto-space is disabled. I know at least within Dolphin HD browser, the URL text field sets this option off and that icon appears so there's no spaces when you swype out a URL.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Swype has also came out and said that sometime it will quit working, so just long press select a different keyboard then reactivate the swype keyboard. I assume they are working on a fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome