Remove City ID Bloatware

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Im not gonna root my phone to get rid of this, but maybe if we send a email to Cequint, the developer of City ID, we could get the bloatware removed from the phone once the trial period is up. I am sick of the popup wanting me to subscribe all the time, though my trial period has been up for months.

email them: support@cequint.com

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I only got the nag once then never again. It only bugs me when I see it in the app list with the other bloatware. It's been a while but isn't there a "Don't ask again" setting?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Yep, once you opt out of it you loose the info on the incoming calls. I thought it was cool at first, but it was more "free market app" cool then $ per month extra cool.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention it doesn't really give you there location. It reads the caller id info and just tells you where the number is from. If they have a New York Cell number and are in LA it will tell you they are calling from NY. There are some free apps that do the same thing. My gripe was even after you tell it you don't want it, it still runs in the background. Needless to say it was the first app I removed once rooted.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I never used my free trial ,always just kinda by passed it .I dont get that many calls that makes this feature popup anyhoo,. So with me its a non issue :)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
1. Root your phone.
2. Install Android SDK.
3. Boot phone into recovery.
4. Mount /system partition.
5. Use ADB to CD to your /system/app directory.
6. Use rm command or mv command to either delete or rename CityID.apk
7. Reboot phone.

As far as HTC sync I don't believe you can. That would be part of sense ui and the only way I think you can remove it is flashing a "vanilla" or de-Sensitized ROM.

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
OK, now that I have my froyo goodness and managed to keep root, I wanted to remove some of the crap that came with 2.2 - like CityID, Skype, Peep, My Verizon etc. I am pretty new to all this stuff but can follow instructions... is there a more detailed guide on how to do this easily? Thanks to all the members on this forum that are such a big help to us rookies :)

Last edited:

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
OK, now that I have my froyo goodness and managed to keep root, I wanted to remove some of the crap that came with 2.2 - like CityID, Skype, Peep, My Verizon etc. I am pretty new to all this stuff but can follow instructions... is there a more detailed guide on how to do this easily? Thanks to all the members on this forum that are such a big help to us rookies :)

This guide is pretty good and it's what I used when I first rooted and needed to learn about using adb to remove bloatware.

How 2 - ADB, Rooting(reflash), Unrooting, Nandroid, Remove/Install App, roms, kernels - xda-developers

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
How do you uninstall apps in the /system/app directory with Titanium? All I see is an option to view the market page, this only lets you uninstall any updates not the actual apps. Not to mention even with root you still have to mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /block/mtdblock4 /system with the phone booted to delete anything, or boot into recovery to bypass the system mount. This is even with adb and terminal? So please enlighten me if there is an easier way I would love to know about it.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The easiest way is to get root explorer from the market. Open it and go to system>apps>then select r/w on the top of the screen and long press and select delete on any app you want to get rid of.

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
How do you uninstall apps in the /system/app directory with Titanium? All I see is an option to view the market page, this only lets you uninstall any updates not the actual apps. Not to mention even with root you still have to mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /block/mtdblock4 /system with the phone booted to delete anything, or boot into recovery to bypass the system mount. This is even with adb and terminal? So please enlighten me if there is an easier way I would love to know about it.

Power in device>wait for it to boot up>wait a little longer for sense to start up>go into app drawer>find titanium>tap on titanium to start>wait for titanium to start up>go to the backup/restore tab>find the app you want to uninstall>click on that app>select "uninstall">Google for the titanium support page to find out how it works, I don't care. I just know it works.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Power in device>wait for it to boot up>wait a little longer for sense to start up>go into app drawer>find titanium>tap on titanium to start>wait for titanium to start up>go to the backup/restore tab>find the app you want to uninstall>click on that app>select "uninstall">Google for the titanium support page to find out how it works, I don't care. I just know it works.

Why the hostility I'm asking a legitimate question....sheit.

I see now how to do it, I've never noticed that function 3G Hotspot is gone pretty easy! Now was that so hard, you didn't have to be like that.......this should make my life a bit easier no more needing adb or terminal to remove things!

Thanks for the backhanded help anyways.

*Edit*
Found out from doing a bit of reading that it does indeed mount rw in the /system directory like root explorer does and like you do manually through adb / terminal! NICE best news all day.

Last edited:

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
Why the hostility I'm asking a legitimate question....sheit.

I see now how to do it, I've never noticed that function 3G Hotspot is gone pretty easy! Now was that so hard, you didn't have to be like that.......this should make my life a bit easier no more needing adb or terminal to remove things!

Thanks for the backhanded help anyways.

*Edit*
Found out from doing a bit of reading that it does indeed mount rw in the /system directory like root explorer does and like you do manually through adb / terminal! NICE best news all day.

No hostility, just being a smartass as usual. You'll get used to my style of humor eventually. Or block my posts from showing up, LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay