Stock DInc want to root and receive OTA

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Question about rooting my phone and wanting to receive OTA update. I plan to use these steps: [Q] Want root AND want OTA - xda-developers.

My questions are:

1. Under properties, my SDCard is already formatted Fat32, so I don't need to do anything to that, right?

2. I already backed up the current content on the card, so should I wipe it first, or does it matter?

3. My card is 8GB, and I understand that the Dinc can take a 32GB card, but is the 8GB card fine to get started, or should I wait until I get a bigger card before I try anything? Can I just move the root files to new card later with no problem?

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
1. Should be ok.

2. Don't know why you need to format your card, or delete anything for that matter.

3. I use a 2GB card, so your 8GB card is more than adequate.

Good luck!

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay...so...to check my math as it were:

1. Download unrevoked3 and open it.
2. In Settings>Applications>Development select USB debugging and plug phone into computer. It will ask for the drivers, which is what the Unrevoked3 files are...install drivers if you need to available at public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]
3. Use Unrevokedforever to set s-off (Back up files with Titanium Backup and store on PC for later use.)
4. Flash pb31IMG.zip to put your phone in stock recovery.
5. wait for OTA, or install the leak. (what if you want to install another rom?) I read that you need to install htc sync to be able to run this. the RUU will load the stock 2.2 rom 2.15 radio that is needed.
6. Upon receiving OTA, flash Clockwork Mod to the phone via HBOOT (using a PB31IMG.zip containing it--available at http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/recovery/clockworkmod/PB31IMG.ZIP
7. Put the following files on your sdcard: xda-developers and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6408470/su-releases/su-2.3.4-ef-signed.zip using clockwork mod to extract them in hboot.

You should now have a rooted phone that has Froyo...I hope I have all the steps right...someone tell me if I don't. I have been searching the web and have about 3 different versions of how to root your DInc...there seems to be a point of information overload and confusion. This is mostly taken from the forum at XDA-developers.com.

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
The update downloaded, and I clicked install because I wasn't sure if it would screw stuff up or not to try to root with the OTA files just sitting there.

What are the rooted people feeling about having root and ota? I am less than impressed with the battery life of Froyo.

browns1

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

This might be very noobish, but I've tried doing this several ways. Then I get the same result...NOTHING. There was a video that I saw where you just load this file on the root of your sd card, and the bootloader automatically recognizes it and updates your phone. That doesn't work. And I also tried flashing it through clockwork (which I figured it wouldn't work, but I tried it anyway.) Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I even tried completely formatting the card and only having that file on there. I cannot get this thing to unroot. :(

trock70

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Okay...so...to check my math as it were:

1. Download unrevoked3 and open it.
2. In Settings>Applications>Development select USB debugging and plug phone into computer. It will ask for the drivers, which is what the Unrevoked3 files are...install drivers if you need to available at public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]
3. Use Unrevokedforever to set s-off (Back up files with Titanium Backup and store on PC for later use.)
5. wait for OTA, or install the leak. (what if you want to install another rom?) I read that you need to install htc sync to be able to run this. the RUU will load the stock 2.2 rom 2.15 radio that is needed.
6. Upon receiving OTA, flash Clockwork Mod to the phone via HBOOT (using a PB31IMG.zip containing it--available at http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/recovery/clockworkmod/PB31IMG.ZIP
7. Put the following files on your sdcard: xda-developers and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6408470/su-releases/su-2.3.4-ef-signed.zip using clockwork mod to extract them in hboot.

You should now have a rooted phone that has Froyo...I hope I have all the steps right...someone tell me if I don't. I have been searching the web and have about 3 different versions of how to root your DInc...there seems to be a point of information overload and confusion. This is mostly taken from the forum at XDA-developers.com.

I have tested this and it works.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
This might be very noobish, but I've tried doing this several ways. Then I get the same result...NOTHING. There was a video that I saw where you just load this file on the root of your sd card, and the bootloader automatically recognizes it and updates your phone. That doesn't work. And I also tried flashing it through clockwork (which I figured it wouldn't work, but I tried it anyway.) Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I even tried completely formatting the card and only having that file on there. I cannot get this thing to unroot. :(

im in the same boat... it says image not found when it gets to that one in the list... then just stares at me...