Update to 2.2 Froyo and Have ROOT the easy way!

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have one questions (im sorry if its been answered and i just missed it). I know there has been a problem with clockwork recovery and the new slcd screens on the incredible. I just got mine yesterday (exchanged for my fascinate) and wish to root it. However since clockwork will not show anything except white lines on a black screen on the new slcd screens, how do i go about making a nandroid backup. I do not want to root if i can't back up the stock 2.2 os that it came with. Does anyone know how i will be able to go about doing this.

I did my research and i know that clockwork was fixed to work with the new screens, but the only way ive been able to find out how to get to that newer version is through rom manager which is a root app.

Any help is appreciated.

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I have one questions (im sorry if its been answered and i just missed it). I know there has been a problem with clockwork recovery and the new slcd screens on the incredible. I just got mine yesterday (exchanged for my fascinate) and wish to root it. However since clockwork will not show anything except white lines on a black screen on the new slcd screens, how do i go about making a nandroid backup. I do not want to root if i can't back up the stock 2.2 os that it came with. Does anyone know how i will be able to go about doing this.

I did my research and i know that clockwork was fixed to work with the new screens, but the only way ive been able to find out how to get to that newer version is through rom manager which is a root app.

Any help is appreciated.

Interesting. I wasnt aware of that issue. Have you checked the xda for info?

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
yeah what i could find it said that amon ra (i think that's it) worked, as well as other custom recoveries. But the only rooting directions i can find are using unrevoked and it uses clockwork. Clockwork has been fixed but i can't find anywhere if that fix was incorporated into unrevoked or not. Which leaves me stuck.

*Edit the old clockwork technically works, it will do what it has to do, you just cant see or read anything. This being my first time, i don't know by heart where to navigate to in order to make a back up

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Ok, here we go. It is a known issue with the new SLCD that Clockwork Mod recovery won't SHOW. Like hockeyplayr said, it will technically work, you just won't see it work. If you are already rooted and need to make a backup and you do so through Rom Manager. Now, if you are trying to do it manually through recovery here's the temp fix:

Just rooted - Recovery has BLACK SCREEN w 2 white bars? - xda-developers

Check out the entire thread particularly posts 5 & 13.

It is said that Koush is working on a new recovery for SLCD screens but no ETA is set. The reason why Clockwork Recovery doesn't work for SLCD screens is because it was coded for AMOLED screens.

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, here we go. It is a known issue with the new SLCD that Clockwork Mod recovery won't SHOW. Like hockeyplayr said, it will technically work, you just won't see it work. If you are already rooted and need to make a backup and you do so through Rom Manager. Now, if you are trying to do it manually through recovery here's the temp fix:

Just rooted - Recovery has BLACK SCREEN w 2 white bars? - xda-developers

Check out the entire thread particularly posts 5 & 13.

It is said that Koush is working on a new recovery for SLCD screens but no ETA is set. The reason why Clockwork Recovery doesn't work for SLCD screens is because it was coded for AMOLED screens.

according to koush's twitter the clockwork fix is done and available through rom manager. Maybe im just missing something but i've read that thread already, how am i suppose to make a back up of the stock system if i cant do it with clockwork prior to booting up rooted for the first time?

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I was trying to stick to just posting on one forumn but I'm becoming desperate. I feel like I can't be the first one to run into this problem

GooTz66

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, thats the hard part. Don't know about that one.

And I knew I saw your screen name somewhere else. You posted on XDA too.

What about backing up in ROM Manager? Have you tried that? The new CWMod is 2.5.1.1 and it is in ROM Manager however I was reading in xda that some people were having issues with it.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Yup, really need to figure this one out now cause I downloaded a bad MM theme that threw me in a bootloop and now I cant get to recovery to flash backup image. Any suggestions?

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Problem solved. Here's the solution.

I rooted and now I only see a black screen with white bars in recovery.

Gbhil to the rescue again. I cannot thank this man enough for everything that he has helped me out with. This isn't the first time he's got me out of a jam. Thank you for the late night help and everything that you contribute to these forums. If I was getting married I'd definitely invite you. In fact, my wife and I are expecting, the baby shower is at the end of this month and I know sometimes you are in the MD, DC, VA area. If you're going to be in Baltimore around that time let me know. I can buy you a cold one or something lol.

If anyone needs help please do not hesitate. I told gbhil that I would help the next guy and I intend on doing that.

Edit: Oh and the time this all started I was using the Recovery that everyone said should fix this problem. No. Clockwork Recovery 2.5.0.5 still doesn't work for SLCD screens. Back to the drawing board Koush.

Last edited:
Reactions: thechemE#CB

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
finally! so if i just root with unrevoked, does it automatically boot into clockwork? or can i skip that. or do i flash that new recovery before i root with unrevoked

Last edited:

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just so everyone knows, i took the plunge and rooted. When you root with unrevoked and it initially boots into clockwork on its own. Just let it sit there. It will reboot the phone on its own. From there you can flash a custom recovery

phillydog#CB

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
So how long will this take me

I have been lurking on this thread for a while. I am ready to join the rooted, just concerned about the time it will take me to recover a working unit. I am basically interested in just rooting for now and getting back to Froyo or a Froyo like ROM, then adding tethering. So much going on, the Droid is my means of communication; so how time must I set aside to do this and how long will I be incognito?

cyberweez

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Cannot install PB31IMG.zip....receive following message in HBOOT....any advice?

HBOOT

Main Version is older!
Update Fail!
Do you want to reboot device?
<vol up> YES
<vol down> NO