Looks like Unrevoked3 got the 2.2 Root

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
From the Wiki:

unrevoked3 is a tool to flash a custom recovery image to your Android phone. A custom recovery image allows you to perform advanced tasks on the system partition, such as flashing custom ROMs and taking a full backup of your phone (a ?nandroid? backup). We recommend installing the custom recovery image for all users who want rooted phones.

It can be obtained from unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.2.

At this time, unrevoked3 works on all versions of the supported phones, thanks to the exploit discovered by Sebastian Krahmer.

Windows users, please download and install these HBOOT drivers.

Supported Devices
unrevoked3 currently supports the following Android phones:

■Sprint EVO 4G (HTC Supersonic)
■Droid Incredible (HTC Incredible)
■HTC Desire GSM
■HTC Desire CDMA (HTC BravoC)
■HTC Aria
■Droid Eris (HTC DesireC)
■HTC Wildfire (HTC Buzz)
unrevoked3 will permanently unlock NAND write protection by default on the following phones:

■Sprint EVO 4G
■Droid Incredible (HTC Incredible)
■HTC Desire CDMA (HTC BravoC)
We have noticed that the core mechanisms behind unrevoked3 may apply to other rooted current-generation HTC phones running Android 2.2. At this time, the tool does not support other phones; if you have an unsupported phone of that description, please get in contact with us.

Changelog
unrevoked3 has been through the following versions:

■v3.2:
■Added support for Froyo builds on all supported devices (thanks to Sebastian Krahmer)
■Added support for the CDMA Desire
■Optionally disables security on supported CDMA devices

I'm going to try this tomorrow! :)

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
OK - Couldn't wait. It works! 2.2 root with OTA!

W/ Root explorer I was able to move a lot of bloatware to a storage dir!

EDIT: I did this before Unrevoked pulled the update due to 2 EVO owners. I updated on a Stock DInc with update.zip Froyo. No S-Off prior to Root. When Unrevoked Re-Publishes this works on a non-Rooted, Non S-Off, Stock Install.

FOLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!!!

Windows users need to install the HBOOT Drivers!

I did have issues updating with Visa. Windows XP worked like a champ.

Last edited:

Todd M

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

EDIT: I did this before Unrevoked pulled the update due to 2 EVO owners. I updated on a Stock DInc with update.zip Froyo. No S-Off prior to Root. When Unrevoked Re-Publishes this works on a non-Rooted, Non S-Off, Stock Install.

Good. Can't wait for them to bring it back up again. I am a stock Inc with 2.2 update.zip as well, so I am looking forward to this without having to downgrade.

My main purpose for this (initially) is to move/remove bloatware. Hopefully mine will go as flawlessly as you did (since I will be using XP).

ssilver385

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site

Anyway you could post the install file? Seems like the only issues were with the EVO

Berzerker

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Please don't post it...they took it down for a reason. What if the bug could extend to other phones? Just wait a couple days for it to come back up.

galactor

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Please don't post it...they took it down for a reason. What if the bug could extend to other phones? Just wait a couple days for it to come back up.
+1. If it works great for the "Dinc" awesome, but we should wait for the final official release. That way we reduce the flooding of new threads titled "unrevoked 3.2 is not working for me" or something like that.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
When unrevoked 3.21 comes back, there will be a link to the HBOOT drivers that it needs to see the phone during the recovery boot cycle. They need to be installed for it to work.

It should be back soon.

DINC INC

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I just used Unrevoked3 to root my unrooted stock Froyo... and it was sooo easy! Just install the hboot windows drivers... then run unrevoked... wait 5 minutes... and you are done! Then another 5 minutes to add free wifi tether and remove all of the VZW & HTC bloatware.

I'm new to the Droid family so this was my first "root" job, and its so easy a cave man with half a brain could do it. It is still not up on unrevoked's site (as they are working out bugs for the Evo, but Incredible's root is working perfect)... however if you go to unrevoked's IRC chat room you can get a link to download it.

jdazzr

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It is still not up on unrevoked's site (as they are working out bugs for the Evo, but Incredible's root is working perfect)... however if you go to unrevoked's IRC chat room you can get a link to download it.
can you guys please post links when you say stuff like that. i cant find what our sayin. all i can find is this --> public:unrevoked2 [RootWiki]. but it clearly says "At this time, unrevoked3 does NOT work on stock Froyo (Android 2.2) phones"

thanks in advance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995