How to unroot after doing unrEVOked3?

aspen1284

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
About to go ahead with unrEVOked3 on my phone but wanted to go ahead and plan for the future! Running Froyo 2.2 right now and just wanting to know how to get rid of root if the need should ever come up. Not worried about losing apps/data or anything... Cant seem to find anything on here about getting rid of root from 2.2. Thanks in advance!

aspen1284

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Nothing? Im thinking I just need the stock 2.2 rom or something...I dont know. Even if that were the case, where would I find that? Any help please?

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I just did this to exchange my phone for a new one...

First - I just downgraded to the Android 2.2 update 1
Second - Followed the link in the forum to manually upgrade to Froyo, which included a small update to get the base version right. Then did the Froyo manual update. This worked well and wasnt to bad. Later after work I will post some links and some better instructions.

Matt

aspen1284

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I just did this to exchange my phone for a new one...

First - I just downgraded to the Android 2.2 update 1
Second - Followed the link in the forum to manually upgrade to Froyo, which included a small update to get the base version right. Then did the Froyo manual update. This worked well and wasnt to bad. Later after work I will post some links and some better instructions.

Matt

That would be much appreciated, thanks!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Easy, get the PB31IMG.zip file for the stock 2.1 install. Place it on the root of your SD card, reboot your phone into hboot. Install it, stock 2.1.

Then get the 2.2 update.zip and update to Froyo via hboot.

Stock unrooted Froyo phone. You will need to be s-off'd for this to work.

Reactions: StayFly

aspen1284

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Aha! Just did the unrEVOked Forever successfully now time try try for the stock 2.1 and then Froyo... Lets hope all goes well! Thanks a ton for the help guys. My Incredible just randomly started doing random reboots here and there the other day...then eventually went into a reboot loop that even a battery pull wouldnt stop. Replacement should be here tomorrow and I gotta send this crazy thing back in.

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok this is what I just did to get go from rooted froyo to unrooted S-ON froyo. The S-ON was the most time consuming part.

1- download and place into the root of you micro SD card reboot into hboot and and volume up to run update.

2- Root again so you can S-On. This is needed so you can use the Clockworkmod recover in the next step.

3- Rename PB31IMG.zip that you downloaded in step one to update.zip and place in the root of your micro SD card. And reboot into hboot again.

4- Now in 'hboot' select 'recovery', goto 'run update.zip' and select and run. Now you are S-On and no longer have clockworkmod installed.

5- Download this, rename to 'update.zip'.

5a- Reboot into hboot, select recovery. Now the screen will have a funny picture, pretty the volume up key and power button. Now select 'run update.zip'. This will put you at 2.1 update 1 which is where you want to be to upgrade to Froyo.

6- Download and rename this to update.zip. Follow step 5a, and you are done.

All of this info was found on the xda-developer site, and of course the fantastic Android central site!

Matt

jdazzr

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Easy, get the PB31IMG.zip file for the stock 2.1 install. Place it on the root of your SD card, reboot your phone into hboot. Install it, stock 2.1.

Then get the 2.2 update.zip and update to Froyo via hboot.

Stock unrooted Froyo phone. You will need to be s-off'd for this to work.
just an fyi to everyone whos wondering. i followed these instructions today and my phone is unrooted and has all bloatware restored. back to the day i got it. worked perfect, thanks Qazme.

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I had a rooted Dinc with no custom rom, just gave me SU access to my phone. I have tried unrooting my device and rooting it again following the steps on this forum, but am unable to root it again. When I load up Unrevoked3 it just says pushing clockworkmod, then stays there.
What am I doing wrong?

Update: Gets to pushing root and stays there. Had to load Unrevoked like 20 times before I got this far. Will not root. Formatted my SD card and did a factory reset and still nothing.

Last edited:

DrDew

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Make sure I'm reading right. You do currently have S-off?

I had the same problem with unrevoked stopping at pushing root.

public:forever [RootWiki]

That helped me get back to root. Granted I did an ota update and then relashed the recovery image like it said. I didn't unroot myself. But I would check that out and read the section about reinstalling after an offical recovery. That should work. Hope that helps

mattchew86

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
@DrDew yes, I currently am s-off. I looked into this, but I was skeptical about it since I am currently unrooted. Now it stops at "pushing recovery". Should I use this on my device without rooting first, or is that (probably) a bad idea? I have to return it soon because the OTA update messed my phone up, and I'm worried this'll bit me in the butt.

Edit: I downloaded and installed the official OTA update yesterday, so I'm not sure how that would play into this.

Last edited:

DrDew

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
It may or may not be a bad idea. You technically still have "root" i lost mine when i did the update yesterday night but with s-off I then used the method posted on that wiki and it worked fine for me. But since your going to return it soon I wouldn't bother and just wait. Get the new phone and then go from there. That way you don't get nipped in the butt.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Probably a dumb question, but how do you know if you have S on or S off? I used unrevoked a while back, but I'm not sure if it was forever or just unrevoked 3. I am running the Virtuos ROM, and I like it, but I might be switching phones and giving this one to my wife. I wanted to unroot and put it back to Stock for her, but I figured I would need to know if I am S- on or S- off before I start.

Nevermind, found it in Hboot. I'm S-off.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton