Root with 2.2 OTA update help !!

nygbrad

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Incredible yesterday and love it. I have been installing apps and playing with it non stop. I would like to root my phone to get rid of the annoying apps and use the tether option.

My question is does anyone know if there are step by step instructions for rooting my phone with froyo already installed? I find all these threads but they seem to merge 2.1 and 2.2 in the same forum. I am not the best computer person so i would like some clear instructions (with non tech person terms).

I installed the HBOOT files and I believe the correct Unrevoked version for froyo. Got it from here:
unrevoked

i am guessing I just need the unrevoked forever zip file and I am ready to go right? Do I unzip this file on the computer or leave it so the phone will unzip it once installed.

I would appreciate any help because without instructions I am sure I can understand I will not root because I love my phone haha.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!!

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You don't need unrevoked forever to root ... If you upgraded to froyo all you need is to install the unrevoked usb drivers then open unrevoked 3.2 and that's it let it do its thing..... The phone will reboot alot in thee progress.don't panic

nygbrad

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I rooted the phone ( i had the OTA Froyo update). Now how do I remove bloatware and work the wireless tethering?

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I rooted the phone ( i had the OTA Froyo update). Now how do I remove bloatware and work the wireless tethering?

I don't wireless so not my part lol sorry . I'm sure someone will answer theres a lot of helpful people in here..... "cough" qazme "cough"

theguy386

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
the wireless tether application you can download straight from the market

as for the bloatware there are a couple ways of doing it
A) using ADB you would move those apps from system/app/ to system/app.disabled
or
B) from the market download System App Remover ($1.00), which will let you go through all your apps and uninstall

personally I think the easiest way is B., but if you're tech savvy and dont feel like coughing up that dollar then go for method A.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
A very easy and safe way to do it is spend a couple bucks on an app called "root explorer" go to system>app and start searching for the bloatware apk's. make sure at the top you mount r/w and not ro. (read/write and read only) Long press on the undesired apk and add .bak to the end. The phone will no longer recognize the file as an app so it won't run it as one. very easy to take off the .bak if for whatever reason you need it again...

nygbrad

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Besides the app removal and potential free tethering, what are some more advantages to rooting? The phone seems normal with a little more speed which is a good thing!

Sorry for all the questions......noob here!

Psycomantix

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Besides the app removal and potential free tethering, what are some more advantages to rooting? The phone seems normal with a little more speed which is a good thing!

Sorry for all the questions......noob here!

you can flash any rom that you want, change your radio, kernal, pretty much allow you to customize however you see fit

Knightslugger

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site

First, do a nandroid backup.

then:

Install the Hydra Stock speed Undervolt Kernel

Install Wireless Tether pre9 (make sure the handset allows for 3rd party apps not downloaded from the Market. in your settings).

approve SUDO requests and 'ur dun.

lots of GOOD vids on Youtube. do a search for it. there's a real good one that's mac based. rat something

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Custom ROM's!!!! That is by far the best advantage. Don't like Sense, go Vanilla... just do a google search for "Droid Incredible ROMs" and tell me you aren't a little curious....

nygbrad

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Haha...now you've got my interest up! I will do some digging. As long as I did the Unrevoked 3.21 w/ HBOOT I didn't need to do Unrevoked forever because on the boot screen it already read S-off. Correct?

So now I can just look for custom ROMs to install.

Knightslugger - Already did nandroid backup, so i will check out the apps you suggested. Thanks!!

nygbrad

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes I got the tethering to work and deleted all the apps I wanted to. I want to thank you all for your help!! Now I just need to see what these different ROMs are all about.

wkupike2000

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes I got the tethering to work and deleted all the apps I wanted to. I want to thank you all for your help!! Now I just need to see what these different ROMs are all about.

nygbrad, what method and programs did you use to remove the bloatware apps? And what apps did you remove? About to root using the methods in this thread and want to be prepared. Thanks!

mfj

Banned
Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I am also trying this. I already installed the drivers in the phone. Attempt #1 is fail, I THINK... How can you tell if your phone is successfully rooted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol