Upcoming Software Enhancement

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have an idea on how/what this may do to phones that are rooted but are not running a custom rom?

I few weeks ago I rooted my phone, and used TiBackup to remove unwanted bloatware like skype, flickr, facebook, cityid, etc...the basic crap they give you and then subsequently removed TiBackup as well. Before all of this I made a nandroid backup of course.

Now my phone is running just fine, is actually working faster then it ever has and I am happy. I may or may not try a custom rom, but that doesn't matter. What I am worried is that this update may end up hosing my phone. I can just remove all the stuff again or run the backup I made, but should I do something to somehow block the update? Or should I run the backup, remove the s-off status, update and then do it all over again?

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Lol upstream, I'm not trying to get on you here, but what part of "I am not running a custom rom" don't you understand?

I just want to know if I should expect problems and not upgrade, or if I need to block the update somehow before it happens. Or if it would make more sense to roll back to s-on, upgrade, and then root and remove all the crapware again.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't accept the update. Wait for a happy chef to incorporate said updates into a custom rom and flash it, that is if you feel like you need it. If not, nothing on the update is crucial to a great experience with this phone. It's all windowdressing....

load97

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to tell you that if you run a rom it would be better for you. So you can stay up to date. That was my point

But that's not his question...Nor mine.

To be rooted, using factory unmolested rom, and if applying the update will screw anything up is the question.:)

Flavy

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'll throw my question into the hat.

I'm still new to root so any help would be appreciated. I have a rooted Incredible using unrevoked with s-off. I'm still running the stock ROM, so will I get prompted for the update? If I do get prompted, should I accept the update or will it brick my phone? Ideally I would like to get this update without having to wipe my phone. Thanks for the help.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't think if your rooted using any ROM you will be prompted to update your phone. If you do get asked to update I would not accept it just to be safe, I'm not sure what would happen if you did update so better to be safe then sorry I guess.

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Maybe this will answer the OP's question.

Yes...you can accept the update. You will get the bloatware back. You will also get whatever minor enhancements are built in. If you have S-off, you will not lose root.

Once it's done updating, remove the bloatware the way you did before.

Or, don't accept the update. It's not like the Froyo update. I think the big thing is a bit of enhancement to both battery life and a shortened charging cycle.

Flavy

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Great, Thanks for the help. The main reason why I want the update is to allow attachments greater than 5mb. Every since Froyo, I noticed I could not attach videos to emails when I try to upload them to facebook. I hope this will fix the issue.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Good point. But like rugby said... this update has been baked in to some custom roms for a while now. My question is why do you not have a youtube account? You can upload to youtube straight from your phone and share it on Facebook without having to worry about any of that crap. That was my work around and it worked so well I stuck with it.

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have an idea on how/what this may do to phones that are rooted but are not running a custom rom?

I few weeks ago I rooted my phone, and used TiBackup to remove unwanted bloatware like skype, flickr, facebook, cityid, etc...the basic crap they give you and then subsequently removed TiBackup as well. Before all of this I made a nandroid backup of course.

Now my phone is running just fine, is actually working faster then it ever has and I am happy. I may or may not try a custom rom, but that doesn't matter. What I am worried is that this update may end up hosing my phone. I can just remove all the stuff again or run the backup I made, but should I do something to somehow block the update? Or should I run the backup, remove the s-off status, update and then do it all over again?

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

This is supposedly the latest 100% stock RUU. It might have in it what you're looking for.

According to the thread, it will wipe everything once you install it. A good Titanium backup would be a smart thing to have.

I also wouldn't flash it without a nandroid backup.

Flavy

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Good point. But like rugby said... this update has been baked in to some custom roms for a while now. My question is why do you not have a youtube account? You can upload to youtube straight from your phone and share it on Facebook without having to worry about any of that crap. That was my work around and it worked so well I stuck with it.

Sicking them on youtube means anyone can see it whereas on facebook I can control who has access.

dharr18

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Before applying the update, I would run a nandroid backup just to be safe. It never hurts to have something to fall back to.

If you are running stock, but only rooted, you should still receive the update. Before I started tasting ROMs, they are cooked in a kitchen right, I received the OTA to 2.2. I lost root for a few days until one of the xda guru's worked around the issue and updated UnrEVOked.

If you do lose root, check out the xda developers forum for any fixes if you don't find one here. Since this is a minor release, I would not expect you to lose root. That won't happen until Gingerbread comes into our lives.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay