Thinking about rooting my phone...

IanAck123

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
hello everyone. before i begin, i know there are tons of threads on how to root your phone. but all of it is just so confusing. i recently just moved onto android from a blackberry (love it!). the reason why i want to root my phone is because the battery life on the dinc is just horrible. while doing some research on rooting i see a lot of people using the setcpu app to conserve battery life. that is basically all i want to do (for now). i want to be able to use setcpu to under clock my cpu while the screen is off.

so here are my questions:
1) is unrevoked 3 the only thing i need to use to root my phone?
2) what if i want to restore my phone to stock and unroot it? will i need to do anything else to my phone to do so?
3) do i need to load a different kernel to under clock my cpu speed?
4) will i be able to root my phone after updating my phone with verizons most recent OTA update?

thanks a lot. :D

anotherxyz

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
You have to root and use unrevoked forever before applying the update. Then you have to manually re-root your phone.

Unrevoked is the best way to painlessly root your phone.

I'm applied the update prior to rooting my phone and now I'm stuck waiting until someone develops a work around.

linwiz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
my guess is nothing is going to root.. unrevoked said give them a couple days, and that they had a fix in the works.. but no update.. thinking vzw put a stop to rooting..

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Yep then install a custom ROM that has both root and the OTA update already in it (like virtuous 3.1.0). That's what I did.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

linwiz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
you can always downgrade then root

I haven't found out how to do that without having rooted before or having S-OFF or a custom recovery..etc.. i didnt think it was possible i guess.. is there a link for this process.

edit: blasted. yeah i found it now.. ive been looking for a couple days.. found a tut at android-zei.com for any interested people

Last edited:

linwiz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
can anyone verify that rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin still works? i cant get the # prompt (i assume that is a root terminal..) i cant get adb to reconnect to the phone after running rageagainstthecage and IF it does its a standard $ prompt with no permission to run ./flash_image

maybe my problem is that i am on ubuntu? i dont have any windows computers here to try this on

Last edited:

IanAck123

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
when unrevoked 3 does find a way around the patch from the new OTA will i have to do anything else other than just using unrevoked 3 to root my phone? i dont understand the whole recovery thing. for example, when i root my phone and i have to send my phone in for repair or something i will want to unroot my phone and have no trace that i rooted my phone. how will i be able to do that? i have been reading around and a lot of people use clockworkmod as a recovery. does unrevoked 3 put clockwork on my phone or do i have to install that separately. if so how can i do that?

linwiz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
can i make the phone think that PB31IMG.zip is actually newer than what it already has by modifying the files inside? android-info.txt is in plain text reading:
ModelID: PB3120000
CIDNUM: VZW__001
MainVer: 1.22.605.2
HbootPreUpdate: 13

linwiz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
and now that the new unrevoked release has been announced, i feel like an ass. i guess im not good at having patience. my apologies to the dev. team working on this.

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
There are instructions on how to re root your Inc after manually installing the Nov 17th OTA. I was rooted, manually installed the update, reinstalled clockwork and then reinstaled Superuser. I checked and double checked and I am def rooted. The whole process took about 15 minutes including phone reboots. UnRevoked just released the new version to root after the OTA.

Reactions: IanAck123

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan