Rooting Dinc?

jvilly92

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
hey guys i just got the Dinc coming from a palm pixi plus. i had that phone for 4 months and was tired of it. it was so boring. i was just wondering what does rooting do for your phone? will it affect my phone (like brick it or damage) and should i wait to have the phone longer? thanks guys and sorry if anyone has ask this question before me

TBarnhardt

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Rooting won't damage the phone, and allows you to make changes to the phone that you can't make otherwise, like removing bloatware or installing custom ROMs.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is just breaking the protections or locks (however you want to view it) that the carrier puts on it. If you owned a bb previously, custom ROMS are like putting a leaked OS on it. Unlike a leaked OS, which was built by RIM, and leaked out for unofficial testing, Custom ROMS are built by users in the android community. It is cool to try out a few and see if you like them better than what the stock OS is. Also, when your phone becomes older and will no longer get official updates from the carrier, you can count on ROM builders to build you a rom with the lastest versions of Android.

The biggest reason for rooting, IMHO, is the ability to backup my data. Since Android doesn't have anything like Desktop Manager for BB, titanium backup is perfect for me to back up my data once a week in case something happens. You can only do this with Root access as far as I know.

TBarnhardt

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You can also do "nandroid" backups that take a snapshot of your phone and let you restore it to the exact state it's in when you take the snapshot (emails, contacts, everything). That way you can play with custom ROM's and if you don't like them, you just restore the system and you're back where you started.

There's an app called ROM Manager that lets you download and install various ROM's and makes it pretty painless to swap between them whenever you want.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Why has nobody mentioned Wi-Fi teathering yet? Is that fad over and I missed the memo? That's the whole reason I rooted in the first place, but now if I go a week with the same ROM I start to get the shakes...

jason821

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted with z4 and installed busybox, titanium and then removed all the crappy crappy. Oh yeah I also tested WiFi tether. Working perfectly.