Final questions before I root

tigerchant

May 26, 2010
Visit site
So my first attempt at rooting a device went....ok. I had a spare D1 and rooted it with 2.1 running on it. I have yet to be able to install any custom ROMs on there but that is probably from user error. This is the real thing now, my daily device DInc. is up next. I have a few questions about rooting/ROMs before I make the plunge (again).

1. I understand unrEVOked is the way to go for HTC devices, is there a difference in unrevoked forever vs. unrevoked 3.22? (current software specs listed below for help on this question)

2. After I install this...what next? Clockwork Mod? What exactly is this and this step?

3. What are some custom ROMs that y'all like out there? I'm a newbie, so lead me where ever. What are the differences in ROMS?

4. How can I switch between ROMs?

5. Most importantly, can I revert back to "stock" if I want to after I root?

Version
Kernal 2.6.32 17-g9a2fc16
Release Keys 3.26.605.1 CL264707
Software # 3.26.605.1

Thanks in advance to all that answer! Y'all are what make me suggest this site to every Android user I know!

stellarforce

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Answers

Howdy,

1)Unrevoked 3.x is to root your phone and it also installs clockwork mod recovery (to make backups/flash other roms), and then Unrevoked Forever is to make your phone S-off (So you can flash themes and change the radio)

2)Clockwork will be installed with Unrevoked 3.x, and can be reached by holding the volume down button and power when the phone is turned off. (Choose recovery from the hboot menu) Side Note: You don't use the touchscreen in the recovery menu. use the volume up/volume down keys to navigate, click the optical mouse button to confirm, power button to go back a screen.

3)For a sense based Rom, I use Sky Raider. It is fast, updated often, and is hacked so you can watch hulu. If you prefer a vanilla type rom (Like on your D1), then I go with Cynogenmod. One deciding factor is that if you play emulators, you can not use a wiimote with Sense based roms.

4)To switch roms (after running unrevoked 3.x and unrevoked forever), move the zipped rom file to the root of your SD card, shut down the phone, hold volume down+power until you get a menu with a white background (Hboot), choose recovery, wipe data and wipe cache, then choose install zip from SD card. After about 5 minutes, your phone should boot up with the new rom running.

5)Yes, you would flash a stock rom, and then use the unrevoked forever tool to make your phone go back to S-on.

Also, once you have clockwork mod recovery installed, you can make backups of roms and then switch back and forth as your needs change. Just clear data and cache, and then choose restore. If you use the app Rom Manager, you can even name the backups to keep better track of them.

Good luck and happy modding!

Reactions: tigerchant

dimebagdan65

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Clarification

Please take note, neither of the unrevoked methods automatically installs a recovery for you, they simply allow you to do so. You still have to flash a recovery via HBOOT or ROM Manager. Thanks for the kind words Joe, hope that guide helps people through the process!

Reactions: tigerchant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol