[GUIDE] How to root, un-root and rom your Droid Incredible.

bigd199022

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
ok im trying to downgrade using the RUU but wen the update starts it does the reboot into bootloader but then it just stays on waiting for bootloader and then eventually gives me error 171 which is the same as error 170, says it cant connect to my phone, for some reason my phone hates me! has anybody had the same problem as me or know what i am doin wrong or something i should try?!?!

Last edited:

bigd199022

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
ok im trying to downgrade using the RUU but wen the update starts it does the reboot into bootloader but then it just stays on waiting for bootloader and then eventually gives me error 171 which is the same as error 170, says it cant connect to my phone, for some reason my phone hates me! has anybody had the same problem? PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO BE ABLE TO ROOT MY PHONE. THX

Last edited:

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Finally did it...have root now. Debating on the downgrade for s-off, may play with this a little before i do it. Now to just get rid of the bloatware

RoFu

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
What ROM did you decide on?
I'm thinking about going this route to refresh my as-yet-unrooted DInc instead of upgrading to a 4G (still can't stomach the loss of unlimited data).

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking about going this route to refresh my as-yet-unrooted DInc instead of upgrading to a 4G (still can't stomach the loss of unlimited data).

If you already have an unlimited data plan, you shouldn't lose it when you upgrade to 4G. You'll be grandfathered in so that you can keep your unlimited data plan.

I settled on the Cyanogenmod ROM just before I bought the Rezound. Honestly, I haven't touched my DInc much since getting the Rezound, though. Too many nice improvements in the Rezound, and I LOVE the bigger, sharper screen.

Reactions: RoFu

fyrfytr24

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

CM7 currently...although I am shopping around. LOL I dont settle quickly

RoFu

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
If you already have an unlimited data plan, you shouldn't lose it when you upgrade to 4G. You'll be grandfathered in so that you can keep your unlimited data plan.

Seriously?! Who do you have to know to make that happen? :)

Everywhere I've asked (and everywhere online where you can try to upgrade), you're pushed to switch data plans.

Or is it just an issue of paying full price for the newer phone and not starting a "new" 2-year contract?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Seriously?! Who do you have to know to make that happen? :)

Everywhere I've asked (and everywhere online where you can try to upgrade), you're pushed to switch data plans.

Or is it just an issue of paying full price for the newer phone and not starting a "new" 2-year contract?

You don't have to know anyone! I just upgraded to the Rezound, and I still have my unlimited data plan. I renewed my 2-yr commitment, too. I have a regular consumer account - nothing special.

I don't know if there is something oddball about your existing Verizon Wireless account. Discuss it with customer service (*611 on your phone) -- they ought to let you keep your unlimited plan, just as all of their other customers did.

RoFu

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to know anyone! I just upgraded to the Rezound, and I still have my unlimited data plan. I renewed my 2-yr commitment, too. I have a regular consumer account - nothing special.

I don't know if there is something oddball about your existing Verizon Wireless account. Discuss it with customer service (*611 on your phone) -- they ought to let you keep your unlimited plan, just as all of their other customers did.

Wow! That's good to know... If I try to upgrade online, the ordering system barfs when I try to keep the existing data plan. My last "New Every Two" isn't up 'til May, but a local Verizon rep last night offered to go ahead and front me the bonus now... but they again, they price the Nexus at $299... and vzw.com prices it at $249.

CM7 on my DInc sounds pretty good for now... :)

Thanks for the info.

mcguirej

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it in a decent amount of time searching. Instructions or a link to some would be much appreciated.

I am trying to root my Droid Incredible (running 2.3.4) with Mac OSX.

I have tried unRevoked 3 and kept getting an error (firmware too new?).

I'm not a complete noob, but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but do I have to downgrade to 2.2? If so, how do I do that on a Mac?

Thanks in advance.

mcguirej

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else, but I wasn't able to find it in a decent amount of time searching. Instructions or a link to some would be much appreciated.

I'm not a complete noob, but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but do I have to downgrade to 2.2? If so, how do I do that on a Mac?

Thanks in advance.

Never mind, I figured it out.

mcguirej

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
im getting the error firmware too new? and cant figure it out, what did you do? I just have stock apps etc not sure whats holding it up:eek:

Sorry for the delayed reply, but its been a few months since I went through this I can't remember exactly what I did. From what I remember, there are two reasons you will get that error: 1) certain installed apps 2) trying to root from Gingerbread.

If I remember right, I was trying to root from Gingerbread and got that error. So, you first have to downgrade to Froyo and then root. Once I did that, everything was fine. All of the information you need can be found in this thread/forum and other online forums. If you need anymore help, let me know.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
On the very first step of the rooting process, when trying to install the HBoot drivers, I am not given the option for HBoot USB as the instructions indicate. The fourth option down is Factory Reset. What should I do?

Edit: nevermind, it seems my phone was somehow one step ahead.

Last edited:

moparphoenix

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, I'm new here & have been searching the forums w/ no luck. I'm in this person's situation, however, unlike him/her I have yet to figure out a fix. Please help!

siddmeister

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I followed till step 3 and was so far so good. On step 3, when I tried to run unrevoked 3, it said device vivo not supported. I am using HTC incredible S. Any help is appreciated.

mrboost05

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
hello guys i am in the process of rooting my incredible and i am following the guide step by step when i get to step 5 and i am using unrevoked 3 it always works for a bit then says error: failed to get root is your firmware to new ? ive tried twice any ideas thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007