CID missing error

Stookesd

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So I tried rooting, and every time I get this error that says "validity error: CID backup missing". I have done rather extensive research on this problem and it seems like no one has a good answer for fixing this. Is there anything you guys might know about this and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

dougpiston

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
The CID error is safe guard Unrevoked put into the tool to prevent bricking of the device on some bunk Incredibles that HTC had put out. I know of one way around it but it involves using a older version of Unrevoked, to do this though need an older version of the OS. This is doable but requires z4 root and some ADB(Minimal) to trick the hboot into being downgraded then you can use an older version of the root tool that does not check the CID.

This can be especially risky depending on the screen type of the device. If Slcd you DO NOT want to downgrade to 2.1.

Last edited:

dougpiston

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I highly do not recommend this

Directions:

1.Get a copy of Z4 root and temp flash root.
2. Follow this thread to allow downgrading of Hboot and OS. <-- Double check and make sure that RUU in that thread isn't to 2.1 if your phone is Slcd
3. Use old RUU to downgrade.
4. Find old version of Unrevoked(I have it somewhere, would have to look)
5. Run root tool.

The safe guard was put in due to a crappy misc partition straight out of the box(If I remember correctly) from HTC and VZW, so be warned you brick it its on you.

I repeat, be very careful how far you downgrade.

Reactions: Stookesd

Stookesd

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
doug piston,
thanks for all your advice! I went ahead and had verizon send me another phone (my external speaker was blown anyways, been meaning to get a new one). So once I get this one, I'll see if it is rootable!

Thanks!