Swype on MIUI

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
A video of this process is at the bottom.

For those that use MIUI and Swype here is how I managed to get Swype to install. I've added a few steps to help others from before since a new version of Swype has been released. An initial direction I found online can be referenced at Get Swype Keyboard working on MIUI ROM | Android Peek

It wasn't completely clear what to do after you uninstalled Swype with TI Backup. The main difference is in red below which is that you must re-download Swype during the key generation process before restoring it to fool the installer. Here are the steps taken to help others in case the link isn't available at some point.

What a hassle.

The steps below were done with Swype 3.6.84.26668 and Swype Installer 1.5 using a valid beta account.

NOTE: This won't fix expired versions of Swype and you must use a current version.

1. Uninstall both Swype and Swype Installer
  2. Download installer from Swype | Text Input for Screens
  3. Run Swype Installer
  4. Login using your Swype beta account
  5. Choose the version of Swype you wish to download.
  6. Install the downloaded Swype.
  7. You should now be at a screen with 4 buttons, one of which says Generate License
  8. Click Generate License
  9. You will be at another screen with 3 buttons.
  10. Click Select Android Keyboard and switch to the Android Keyboard
  11. Your next step is to Disable Swype but DO NOT click Disable Swype since you currently can't do this in MIUI
  12. Press Home button, open TI Backup, find Swype, back it up and then uninstall it from TI Backup
  13. Long press Home and switch back to Swype Installer
  14. This will cause it to go back to login.
  15. Login to the installer again when it prompts for your credentials
  16. Select the version of Swype you are already trying to install and actually download it again
  17. After it downloads, DO NOT install it
  18. Long press Home again and go back to TI Backup
  19. Restore the Swype backup in TI Backup (App + Data), which will prompt you to install. Do the installation
  20. Long press Home and go back to Swype Installer and cancel installation
  21. This Will take you back to the screen saying it is trying to get a license but ignore it and go back to the home screen
  22. Go to a text box such as a text message and click in the text box
  23. Long press text field, click Input Method and select Android Keyboard*
  24. Long press text field, click Input Method and select Swype*

* Added steps from Upstreammiami

Let me know if you have any confusion or need any help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6t3p7A5oM

Last edited:

oddoreven

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Could you clarify steps 3 - 8. I'm On Miui 1.3.5

After installing swype and clicking done after the install it switches to the choose android keyboard. After clicking and choosing android it returns to being told to disable swype.

Leaving swype and unistalling swype through Ti Backup and then long pressing home and choosing swype from the recent apps, swype never gets to the generate license button. Instead it restarts with the checking installer verrsion and takes me back to the log in button.

Even if I just relog in and redownload and cancel and then reinstall from TiB it won't get me to the generate license.

oddoreven

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Found an alternate way that worked for me after many frustrating attempts with the above instructions.

I had my last version of the swype beta pop up with the expired message.
After following the above I also had a backup of the downloaded new version as a result of step 6 as well as my last beta version in TiB

I uninstalled the new version through TiB and reinstalled my old version. Then I ran the current installer 1.4. It said congrats and sucessfully installed and ready to use message. But when I used it, as expected the expired message was still there in this old version. So I then went to TiB and installed the new version backup over the top of the old version (didn't uninstall first) and app only not app + data.

Upon returning to the installer I still had the successfully installed and ready to use message. Tried it and its swyping with the updated version.

Hope this helps someone...

oddoreven

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it depended on having a previously licensed, but expired, swype on my phone. But from memory:

Follow steps 1 - 6
7. Reinstall the expired version swype from TiB
8. Run the current swype installer 1.4 at this time.
9. With the old version, you should see the congratulations and swype sucessfully installed and licensed.
10. This screen has generate license button. Not sure but I think I pressed this.
11. Next I used swype in a text and up popped up the expired message and no swyping worked.
12. I then uninstalled the expired version and reinstalled the backup of the new downloaded (but previously unsuccessfully licensed) made in TiB as part of step 6.
13. Running the installer again then showed the same congratulation message, and this time swype worked and continues to work.

Not sure why this worked... Not even sure if will work for someone else, and considering the time I spent trying to get my swype back, I'm not sure I'd try and restore an old ROM image just to try it again... ;^)

sptorrent

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Great,
Thank you for this - precious - tip. I've been going round and round... and I love Swype.
So, following your instruction works fine.

wallaby311

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the installer today from the swype website and it says my installer version is 1.1.26483. Also I have followed your steps twice with no luck. Any ideas?

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the installer today from the swype website and it says my installer version is 1.1.26483. Also I have followed your steps twice with no luck. Any ideas?

I think they forgot to update the version number in the app itself, but it's 1.5.

Where do you get stuck at? One spot that may come up odd is that you must click Disable Swype and then go in to TI backup. I actually forgot to do that part correctly myself today.

Any more details in what might bot seem exactly what's happening in the process for you?

wallaby311

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I think they forgot to update the version number in the app itself, but it's 1.5.

Where do you get stuck at? One spot that may come up odd is that you must click Disable Swype and then go in to TI backup. I actually forgot to do that part correctly myself today.

Any more details in what might bot seem exactly what's happening in the process for you?
I have followed every step to a T, but it never gets to a place where it says it is trying to generate license. when I switch from android keyboard back to swype (the last two steps) a popup comes up and says "This version of Swype has an invalid license and will operate with limited functionality. Beta users please run the installer again. All others contact Swype about this issue."

I have no idea what's going on. I have tried multiple times uninstalling and installing again.

When restoring in TI Backup should I choose APP only or APP and DATA?

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have followed every step to a T, but it never gets to a place where it says it is trying to generate license. when I switch from android keyboard back to swype (the last two steps) a popup comes up and says "This version of Swype has an invalid license and will operate with limited functionality. Beta users please run the installer again. All others contact Swype about this issue."

I have no idea what's going on. I have tried multiple times uninstalling and installing again.

When restoring in TI Backup should I choose APP only or APP and DATA?

Hmm, try App and Data. If that works, let me know and I'll add the detail since I believe that is what I did. If you can't get it to work, let me know and I'll try again myself to see if I can find a spot to clarify.

wallaby311

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, try App and Data. If that works, let me know and I'll add the detail since I believe that is what I did. If you can't get it to work, let me know and I'll try again myself to see if I can find a spot to clarify.
I've tried both ways and it never goes back to say anything about generating license. Thanks for looking into it.

oddoreven

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I've tried both ways and it never goes back to say anything about generating license. Thanks for looking into it.
Had to come back today to remember how to install the new swype beta xxxxxxxxx68. The download the new and then uninstall followed by reinstalling app and data for the old then task switch to the installer and generate license with the old version worked. When it says disable swype just go to the keyboard settins check swype then recheck android and exit out. Then just install the new version (data only) over the old with Ti backup. I don't have to return to the installer after this step. See my prior posts.

Kam_El

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi - tried doing this just now, its the new version of Swype - version 3.0 - my previous version expired, and I followed the above steps, however after downloading beta/full swype it said the application has not been installed. tried again with spanish/english beta and got the same thing...some help would be great - find typing impossible without swype now :'( !!

Thanks

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I followed the directions and made it install twice to make sure.

I tweaked the directions a bit to say NOT to click Disable Swype.

See if this is any better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay