Apps safe to remove after rooting?

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I just helped a co-worker root his AMOLED Incredible with Unrevoked. He's really excited to start removing some of the bloat apps etc. Only thing is I dont know which ones are safe to remove and what method is best to remove them.

We have installed TitaniumBackup and done a full back up. We will also take a Nandroid backup also. Im not sure if he wants to go to custom ROMs right now though.

I liked how the Fascinate forum has a list of items that can be removed but there some people just renamed them .old. Not sure if that works here or not. Does having the apps missing stop the OTA as on the Fascinate?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Have him load Virtuous ROM, there is a link in the ROM's and Mods sticky. It's full stock with the bloatware removed and it's been optimized. Plus, there is an alternate kernel for battery life available. Make a nandroid of his current ROM, because if he ever wants an OTA update from Verizon he's going to need to restore that to get it.

Virtuous is also available in ROM Manager.

Last edited:

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Have him load Virtuous ROM, there is a link in the ROM's and Mods sticky. It's full stock with the bloatware removed and it's been optimized. Plus, there is an alternate kernel for battery life available. Make a nandroid of his current ROM, because if he ever wants an OTA update from Verizon he's going to need to restore that to get it.

Virtuous is also available in ROM Manager.

I was thinking the same thing. Does he need S-off for this?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
No - but he already has it if necessary - to confirm, just boot into HBOOT. Turn the phone off and start it with the power button and the down volume button at the same time. You'll come to the HBOOT screen with the dancing sakteboarders and at the top it will tell you if you are s-off or not.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I know how to check for S-Off just did not know if it was needed to flash a new ROM. I loaded the latest Virtuous in my Incredible and will let him take a look at it.

Thanks for the info though!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12