getting ready for first flash...gulp...

omg_vtec

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
well im about to root and flash a rom to my incredible but im really nervous about the process...not sure i really understand the lingo enough...right now im torn between incredibly re engineered, skyraider4 and cyanogen mod stable.
most of my concerns fall to the kernel and radio mentions i have read about...are there extra steps for those or will they come in the zip file and be done automatically?
lastly, is the process for flashing a new rom the same everytime with the only change being what rom you pick?
i spent hours reading threads and cant seem to find my own answer to these questions...
sorry if i missed it and thanks in advance

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
well im about to root and flash a rom to my incredible but im really nervous about the process...not sure i really understand the lingo enough...right now im torn between incredibly re engineered, skyraider4 and cyanogen mod stable.

So you've decided to say "hell with the warranty I'm rooting"...good for you and welcome to the club!!!!

First off, take a breath...it's just a phone. If you can read and follow directions you'll be fine. If you've read about making a Nandroid backup and have done so successfully your biggest problem/fear has been conquered as 99% of problems can be solved by reverting to your nandroid backup...if you can make and restore a backup, you can flash...the process is very similar, just be prepared to re-download all your apps and re-set up your phone every time you flash a new ROM. Titanium backup can be a big timesaver but it won't restore your settings like ringtones, screen time outs, stuff like that.

If your coming straight from stock 2.2, I think I'd recommend SkyRaider 4.0. Its the newest "sense" based ROM in your list and the "culture shock" won't be as bad. It may be a bit much to go from having no clue about rooting and flashing then going straight to Cyanogen Mod 7. I've been using Skyraider 4.0 for a few days now after having been away from using Sense for almost a month and I have to say this ROM is enjoyable and fast...all the benefits of Sense without Verizon's clutter and garbage to bog it down, plus it's based on the Sense 2.0 rather than HTC's 1.0 which is what the Inc runs currently.

most of my concerns fall to the kernel and radio mentions i have read about...are there extra steps for those or will they come in the zip file and be done automatically?

Most Rom's come with the custom kernel packaged up into the ROM itself so no need to sweat that. If you want to flash a new kernel its the same process as flashing a ROM, boot into recovery, wipe data (not the factory reset data, just data cache) go to advanced and wipe the dalvic, install from sd, choose zip from sd, install...it really is just that easy. Don't worry about the radio's for now...if your new to flashing messing with the radios is not something you should really be worried about. As far as I know, its really the only way to brick the phone, as in even trying to get back to your nandroid backup is hard...bottom line, unless you really know what your doing, just leave the radio alone. I haven't flashed a ROM yet where I had to mess with the radio and I've flashed alot of ROM's.

lastly, is the process for flashing a new rom the same everytime with the only change being what rom you pick?

Exactly the same process for every ROM. Occasionally you'll come across a ROM that makes you work for it like Warm Z 2.2 which requires certain Clockwork versions to work right and even then if you don't hold your tongue just right it doesn't flash properly but then you get to go dig deeper into the Android Central site and see just how much info there is out there and how many people are willing to help.

To wind up a long point, don't sweat it, unless you screw with the radios you really can't do any damage that can't be undone by restoring your nandroid backup, and flashing ROM's is by and large the same for every ROM which is why its so easy and fun.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
@WANDA i couldn't have said it better myself :)

I completely recommend skyraider 4.0 for a firstimer. it is simple, you don't have to mess with kernels (if you choose) and it is a perfect mix of CM7 and Sense.... I really think you will like it... I have been diehard CM7 fan since it was announce on this site... but after flashing SkyRaider, I am reminded why i do like sense again...
CM7 has absolutly no Sense built into it what so ever.... Word of advice my friend.... READ READ READ... i usually read through a whole entire thread about the ROM before I flash... I don't recommend Incredibly Re-enginnered for your first time... but tis up to you... welcome to the Fam.... any questions , just ask... we all started from the beginning once...
Good luck... MAKE SURE YOU MAKE YOUR FIRST BACKUP BEFORE YOU FLASH ANYTHING (just like wanda said)

Reactions: zero neck

omg_vtec

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
2 things, how is cm7 different? like you said sense, i know thats the stock stuff but whats so different?
and 2 ones the roms is flashed can it be removed from the memory card?

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
2 things, how is cm7 different? like you said sense, i know thats the stock stuff but whats so different?

The look and feel of stock Android is completely different then Sense. A lot of people prefer sense, but I love stock Android. Also with CM7 (and any AOSP ROM for that matter) you can't use Sense widgets, though there are widgets in the market that can replace the sense widgets quite nicely. Do your research, don't be afraid to ask questions, and enjoy which ever ROM you decide to flash.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Think of what you know of as Android (sense) as an over simplified version of Android. It works really well and makes it easy. Android however is much more customizable than sense is and a lot of the Widgets you know won't work without it. Like was said before there are options to replace most but not all. Make a nandroid backup of how your phone is now and try an asop rom. You may like it you will find there is alot you can do. Remember to get the Google apps when you do flash asop though. As far as when you are done, yes the zip files can be deleted. Ask away here if you have questions because we were all there once.

omg_vtec

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
went great. never backed up my apps though so that was a little bit annoying...think im still missing a few but o well. prolly gonna flash another one tonight to see how it is...

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
went great. never backed up my apps though so that was a little bit annoying...think im still missing a few but o well. prolly gonna flash another one tonight to see how it is...

That is where Titanium comes in. There's a free version and a paid version, personally I use the free.

I'd highly recommend it, especially if your going to be jumping ROM to ROM it will be a neccessity.

Once you've downloaded you can do a batch operation to backup every app on the phone, when you go to restore ONLY RESTORE APP, NO DATA! Yes you may have to re-input stuff but this is where the majority of peoples force close issues come in. The only app I restore with data is oddly enough "Cardstar" cause I can't find most of the cards I've input into since I've lost them after I took them out of my wallet...so far no problems with that one app but it's a risk every time. Even if you don't restore from Titanium you will at least have a list of every app you have (or had when you did the backup) and you can go into the market and re-download a fresh copy.