Rooting for a Rook

megamef

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I want to try something new, so im going to try to root my d inc. But first i need to know where to start... i know i go to unrevoked and follow those steps, but what else am i supposed to get? i keep seeing stuff about roms, kernals, etc. i wanna go with cyanogen mod 7. where and how do i get that? please help.

Reactions: anthony_t86

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
after you have rooted, you need rom manager, you flash recovery with it, and make a backup.
Cm7 links can be found in op of nightlies thread by crondable. Cm7 comes with a kernel baked into it so you won't need to flash one.
You will also want to look into titanium backup.
And make sure you read alot before you do anything.

Last edited:

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I want to try something new, so im going to try to root my d inc. But first i need to know where to start... i know i go to unrevoked and follow those steps, but what else am i supposed to get? i keep seeing stuff about roms, kernals, etc. i wanna go with cyanogen mod 7. where and how do i get that? please help.

PLEEEAAAASSSEEEE!!! After you root before you ANYTHING, make a Nandroid backup first!!! If you don't know what that is you need to read some more. If you do know what that is take my advice and DO IT. It will one day save your bacon after you've goofed your phone and don't know what else to do you can always revert to your back up and its like nothing ever happened.

ROMs, kernels, CM7, all take a back seat to making your nandroid backup.

megamef

May 2, 2010
Visit site
2 more questions.. #1. Is the unrevoked forever required, or an option (turn s-on to s-off)? #2. Can I get custom roms directly from my phone or do I have to get them off computer first, hen put them on phone?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
#1 No. The current version of Unrevoked does S-Off by default.

#2 Either or both. ;) You can use ROM Manager to download ROM's, but I would flash them manually. Also you can go direct to the website on the phone to download, or you can download on PC and copy over. It all depends on how reliable your downloads are on 3G. If thay are good your OK, If not use Wi-Fi on the phone or the PC.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

megamef

May 2, 2010
Visit site
umm ok, so i downloaded and installed cyanogenmod from their site. the file i downloaded is "update-cm-7.0.3-Inc-signed.zip". I backed up everything, and switched to cm7 and now i am stuck at what appears to be a black loading screen with an arrow circling droid on skateboard. i tried rebooting and battery pull but it jus keeps looping. i let it run its course but it stays like this for a while... uhhh can anyone assist me please!!!!!