Phone in boot loop - please help

jdub679

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys. Need some help.

This afternoon my phone began force closing random applications (widget locker, sms stuff, etc). When I got home, I attempted a restore using ROM manager and using my last (and only) saved restore.

Now when the phone attempts to reboot, it just goes back to ClockwordMod Recovery.

I've tried to use the "backup and restore" option in there as well, but aside from it saying sd-ext.img missing at the end of the process, the restore seems to go as planned.

I know this seems general, but I'm kind of at wit's end trying to figure this out.

Thanks in advance.

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site

What caused it? Mine seems to be rebooting when the wifi is off.something about the cellular only connection appears to be the problem.

I've loaded cyanogen and still it does it.

My radio is x.x.7.28

Any ideas?
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Some additional information....

Once the continous reboots start, if I can get the phone into airplane mode... the reboots will stop.

Then after a period of time, I can turn the airplane mode off.. and the reboots will stop. I have just noticed this effect, I have not yet figured out how much time is required.

Baseband

Its happens on both Rooted Stock Froyo / and Cyanogen 7.03.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
First thing that comes to mind: are you absolutely sure you are using ROMs, kernals, and radios for the HTC Incredible?

The only reason I mention this is because just recently we saw someone who was trying to use something specifically for a Sprint phone (NOT something modded for the DI).

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been on the " Rooted froyo"
For a while now. I has downloaded it from this forum in one of the incredible posts.It has been working for at least 7 months and this is a recent development.

Wondering if it was just time for a hard reset, I just went ahead and downloaded cyanogen using rom manager.

If I had to take a stab at it, I would guess this weirdness started right around when verizon had their lte outage.

Twice so far I've had to call support to get the phone "re authenticated" and manually enter some access key. 228 will not work for this.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from Tapatalk

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree that would be the next step. But it's weird that the system can't authenticate you in the normal fashion.

FWIW, I don't know that going with Cyanogen is going to help. You might want to just flash back to stock, including the stock kernal, and get things working normally before doing a nandroid backup and then test-driving other ROMs.

...my $.02

Good luck!

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ok,

I've gone back and forth between the rooted froyo that I have and cyangen a few times.

Always selecting wipe cache and dalvik.

Isn't loading Cyanogen "equivalent" to essentially doing a "hard reset" and then loading another ROM?

--

I had to run all the setups over... thats why i'm thinking its considered a hard reset.

Thanks in advance guys.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok,

I've gone back and forth between the rooted froyo that I have and cyangen a few times.

Always selecting wipe cache and dalvik.

Isn't loading Cyanogen "equivalent" to essentially doing a "hard reset" and then loading another ROM?

--

I had to run all the setups over... thats why i'm thinking its considered a hard reset.

Thanks in advance guys.

It depends upon how it's cooked, but unless you do the factory reset (completely wiping data), you are essentially installing the ROM over the other ROM. That's why it is important to wipe the data before switching ROMs. Many people suggest that you perform the wipe 3 times, along with wiping cache and dalvik, before loading the next ROM.

This could indeed be the cause of your problems.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the post above. When you install a new ROM, whether it be sense based or AOSP, you ALWAYS need to perform a factory reset. Just wiping the cache partition and the Dalvic cache are not enough.

If you are using ROM manager to install the ROM then I would say that is where the problem is. Do it manually through recovery and do the data/factory reset, cache partition, and Dalvic. If your still boot looping you may have a bad download.

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the post above. When you install a new ROM, whether it be sense based or AOSP, you ALWAYS need to perform a factory reset. Just wiping the cache partition and the Dalvic cache are not enough.

If you are using ROM manager to install the ROM then I would say that is where the problem is. Do it manually through recovery and do the data/factory reset, cache partition, and Dalvic. If your still boot looping you may have a bad download.

(*&(&$(*&(#*&$)(#*&$

I hit the wrong button(s) and partioned my sd card... i hit the back button and it went ahaed and partitioned and now i've lost all my nandroids...

any idea where i can get the 2.2 froyo image?

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
(*&(&$(*&(#*&$)(#*&$

I hit the wrong button(s) and partioned my sd card... i hit the back button and it went ahaed and partitioned and now i've lost all my nandroids...

any idea where i can get the 2.2 froyo image?

Do you mean the stock Froyo ROM? If that is what you want then you have a couple options. Install a ROM that is based off the stock ROM like Virtuous, or you can unroot, which takes you back to stock, and then root again if you want.

[ROM] Virtuous v3.2.0 (12/19/10): Stock Sense *3.26.605.1* w/Fixes & Enhancements - xda-developers

http://forum.androidcentral.com/inc...oot-rom-your-droid-incredible.html#post552570

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Check in the ROM's and Mod's HQ Post. There are links to the Stock 2.2 as well as Rooted Stocks ROM's like Virtuous and Nothing Special.

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Happy to help. Let us know how it turns out.

Ok, well i'm in a "bit" of luck..

I found the "original" rooted froyo that i'd used those long months ago.

I've also re-partitioned the sd card.. since it was already empty. NOw i'm re-downloading the images, and getting ready to do several hard resets and then loading up that original image.

I'm kinda wondering if the phone is borked... as it does seem to happen when it does any type of cellular data for any extended period. It also happens after I've been on a call for a bit and then hang up.

we'll see!!!

otherwise... thunderbolt/inc 2 etc etc...

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ok its still resetting.

I've hard reset multiple times before loading cyanogen and still it resets.

I tried to load the froyo that I have and clockwork tells me its not a gingerbread version that I got to downgrade or something, anybody know the right version?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The really simple solution would be to flash a temporary version of Clockworkmod 2.5.1.2. Just drop it onto the root of your SD card, flash, then go ahead and flashCM7. Once you've got that up and running you can downgrade permanently if you need to (many thanks to Wanda for originally pointing this out to me). Good luck. :)

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The really simple solution would be to flash a temporary version of Clockworkmod 2.5.1.2. Just drop it onto the root of your SD card, flash, then go ahead and flashCM7. Once you've got that up and running you can downgrade permanently if you need to (many thanks to Wanda for originally pointing this out to me). Good luck. :)

Let's make sure I understand you correctly.

Boot to recovery
Flash this version of clockwork
Reboot to recovery
Flash cm7 (or my Rooted froyo? )

I would think it's the froyo version but I'm not sure.

Also, if someone could tell me if I'm on the right radio. (see first post).

Thanks again guys you are great!

Sent from Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci