Will rooting fix my rebooting loop problem?

scubahiker

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I somehow hosed my wifes Dinc and it now just is in a reboot loop (moved d/l'd app to sd card then battery pull). The phone is not rooted and has never been backed up. There are pictures in the internal memory, not sd card, that she does NOT want to lose. I cannot get to the phone's main screen as its in a rebooting loop. When connected via USB it does not show on Win7.

Reading through this forum sounds like I may be able to root this phone and get it bootable, while "possibly" saving the pictures.

I have talked w/ Verizon and HTC Tech and they only gave me option for factory reset. Please tell me that rooting is the answer to save these pics!!

scubahiker

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Here is some additional info:

HBOOT-0.92
Radio-2.15.00.07.28

SD Checking...
Loading...[PB31DIAG.zip]
No Image!
Loading... [PB31DIAG.nbh]
No Image or wrong image!
Loading... [PB31IMG.zip]
No Image!
Loading... [PB31IMG.nbh]

Sounds like SD card is bad (but I can read it on the computer fine).

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So sounds like you can view the pictures when your phone is plugged into your computer.

Ok i missread and now see that your in a constant bootloop .I thought you was able to view your pictuers when phone plugged in.

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Rooting won't help - the phone needs to be able to boot in order to successfully root. Loading a new ROM won't help either since that will wipe the internal memory.

If you can't get the phone to stay on long enough for the pc to see the drives, you may be hosed. You might indeed need to do a factory reset to get out of the bootloop. I can’t think of any other way to get data off the internal memory.

Sorry man, I feel your pain.

EDIT - UPADTE - I just read your second post more carevully. Put your SD Card into a PC and remove the PB31DIAG.zip file, then try rebooting.

Last edited:

scubahiker

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, cannot access it via computer b/c of the bootloop.

I've checked the sd card and there are NO *.zip files on it. If I were to get a new PB31DIAG.zip and put it on the root of the SD card would that do something? If so where would I get that file?

ct2344

May 16, 2011
Visit site
My phone's been rebooting for the past 4 months...death loop back in March where I lost everything after hard resent and I've since rooted it...now running skyraider. Still having same reboot problem but no death loop yet. Have to soft reset with taking out battery for about 10 mins and cooling it down before it gets out of loop. Going to try and flash new rom tonight because a lot of force closes now after running present rom for about a month.

Concerning your pics I also lost a bunch of pics that were stored on my internal memory. After rooting the phone and wiping everything (then crying over the lost pics/movies) I treated my internal memory like a hard drive that crashed and found a file recovery utility software (file recover...look for a torrent) to basically try and recover the images. I got about 75% of the pictures back but the rest were corrupted after the wipe....so if you can deal with only getting 75% back that may be the way to go...Verizon was of no help in terms of recovering anything since you really can't read the internal memory during a death re-boot loop and their only options was a hard reset which would wipe everything on the internal memory.

Hope that helps...good luck.

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I find that putting the phone in airplane mode quickly will stop the rebooting. Then I turn on wifi and manipulate the sd card as necessary.

I've not totally solved the reboot issue yet, it returns whenever I put load on the cellular data.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

scubahiker

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
After rooting the phone and wiping everything (then crying over the lost pics/movies) I treated my internal memory like a hard drive that crashed and found a file recovery utility software (file recover...look for a torrent) to basically try and recover the images. I got about 75% of the pictures back but the rest were corrupted after the wipe....so if you can deal with only getting 75% back that may be the way to go

Thanks, I'll keep that in my back pocket if I can't figure another way.

scubahiker

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
The farthest the phone gets in booting is two passes of the red dots over the eye, then its starts over. Its around a 20 sec loop between 'Droid' sound.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking you are going to have to do the reset. I was hoping that HBOOT was getting hung up on a PB31 file but obviously that's not the case.

Try the file recovery software mentioned earlier after your reset. Do it right after you get the phone stable. The less you write to the internal storage the better your chances will be of recovering the files.

TheIxchell

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with my Droid incredible and I just read that there was recently an update to fix this.... How can I update the phone if it's no longer activated and has anyone successfully fixed their via the update?
I have photos I need to submit as evidence of domestic violence on my Droid incredible and I sincerely hope someone can help me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy