Reminder for Rooted Phones - Unroot Prior to OTA AT&T Update

JakeRoux

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
With AT&T having just released the Samsung Captivate Gingerbread update, and Samsung having just released a Kies download for the Infuse, (both as noted elsewhere in this forum), anticipation is building that the official AT&T GB update for the Infuse may actually be arriving sometime soon.

Just a reminder for you fairly new ?Rooters? like myself, be sure and unroot your phone before doing an over the air firmware update from AT&T. And, if you are using SuperOneClick to root and unroot your Infuse, the following may be helpful since I spent a couple of hours muddling through the unroot process myself last night:

Prior to connecting your phone to your PC via USB and launching SuperOneClick do the following:
1. In Settings>SD card, unmount your SD card.
2. In Applications>Development , check USB Debugging
Once you?ve taken those steps, then connect to PC via USB, launch SuperOneClick and click on ?Unroot?. Once the unrooting process has finished remount your SD card.

If something goes awry and you end up ?bricked?, Google how to unbrick with GTG/Odin. A warning though, good luck on being able to find a site where you can download GTG/Odin without also having to deal with a lot of BS download subscription services. Fortunately, I was able to get SuperOneClick to work before having to resort to GTG/Odin.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I haven't had to unroot for any of the previous OTA updates, however. With each update though, I'd lose root access (and have to re-root after the install.

But perhaps since this is an update to an entirely new version of the OS then we'll have to unroot prior to the install.

Now we just gotta wait. :-\ But we're used to that I guess! ;)

With AT&T having just released the Samsung Captivate Gingerbread update, and Samsung having just released a Kies download for the Infuse, (both as noted elsewhere in this forum), anticipation is building that the official AT&T GB update for the Infuse may actually be arriving sometime soon.

Just a reminder for you fairly new ?Rooters? like myself, be sure and unroot your phone before doing an over the air firmware update from AT&T. And, if you are using SuperOneClick to root and unroot your Infuse, the following may be helpful since I spent a couple of hours muddling through the unroot process myself last night:

Prior to connecting your phone to your PC via USB and launching SuperOneClick do the following:
1. In Settings>SD card, unmount your SD card.
2. In Applications>Development , check USB Debugging
Once you?ve taken those steps, then connect to PC via USB, launch SuperOneClick and click on ?Unroot?. Once the unrooting process has finished remount your SD card.

If something goes awry and you end up ?bricked?, Google how to unbrick with GTG/Odin. A warning though, good luck on being able to find a site where you can download GTG/Odin without also having to deal with a lot of BS download subscription services. Fortunately, I was able to get SuperOneClick to work before having to resort to GTG/Odin.

Egidio

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm taking my chances and will leave my Infuse rooted. I still have the original ROM.

Thanks for the good news about Kies. I had an old version that worked well until they updated it. Hopefully this version will restore usability.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm taking my chances and will leave my Infuse rooted. I still have the original ROM.

Thanks for the good news about Kies. I had an old version that worked well until they updated it. Hopefully this version will restore usability.

Hey Egidio,

Just out of curiosity, what do you use Kies for? I think I remember having to download it to root my phone, but am wondering if there's any good use for it beyond that.

Thanks,
Adam

Egidio

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Adam,

I never needed it for rooting. I used it only to sync stuff. The reality, though, is that it's not really needed if all you want to do is copy a few photos here and there. Now I actually use DoubleTwist for that.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Adam,

I never needed it for rooting. I used it only to sync stuff. The reality, though, is that it's not really needed if all you want to do is copy a few photos here and there. Now I actually use DoubleTwist for that.

Gotcha! Yeah, I use Dropbox for that... and/or Google + Instant Upload.

westshotgun

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a quick question. How do you check if your phone is still rooted or not?

I recently unrooted infuse using superoneclick(same way as above) and only way I know it is not rooted is that there is no superuser app on application (funny thing is that superuser is listed as 'installed' in google market but i cannot find it on my phone) I didn't install any custom roms. Only reason I rooted is to erase some unnecessary apps to make infuse more efficient

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site

I recently unrooted infuse using superoneclick(same way as above) and only way I know it is not rooted is that there is no superuser app on application (funny thing is that superuser is listed as 'installed' in google market but i cannot find it on my phone) I didn't install any custom roms. Only reason I rooted is to erase some unnecessary apps to make infuse more efficient

Root Checker app in the Market. It's free and will do what you want. And only what you want. ;)

https://market.android.com/details?...GwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5qb2V5a3JpbS5yb290Y2hlY2siXQ..

Reactions: westshotgun

Egidio

May 24, 2011
Visit site

I don't mean to alarm you, but one thing I've read here before is that deleting some bloatware that AT&T adds to the Infuse can cause havoc in an update. As the OTA update looks for those apps, things could go wrong. Does anyone know for a fact whether that is true. My experience was with an Apple computer that once I deleted "unnecessary" apps. Then when there was a system update, I kept getting an error message.

c00l0ne

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Thats why Im leaving mine unrooted and just wait for GB update or get a new phone. Don`t wanna deal with more complications.

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I am new to these forums and don't exactly know the rules of posting the same information that I have posted elsewhere or to just link to it, but I thought it fit better in this form, so Here goes:

Just in case anybody was wondering how it unbrick your Samsung Infuse phone or return it back to stock so you can receive an update, it is really simple and easy to do! Here is a link to the youtube video that shows you the steps.
How To Get Back To Stock\Unbrick Your Samsung Infuse 4G - YouTube

But the basic steps are:
1. download the files listed below (make sure your samsung drivers are installed)
3. install odin
4. open odin
5. power off phone
a. don't connect to computer yet
6. hold down both volume buttons and plug in cord (a warning screen may come up, just click the volume up button), you are now in download mode
7. odin should now recognize your device, select the downloaded PIT, PDA and PHONE files
8. press start and when the process is complete it should boot back to factory settings

I have done this multiple times and has worked everytime! Hope this helps give you peace of mind!

Downloads:
1. Drivers
Download drivers.zip for free on Filesonic.com

2. GTG
Download GTG_'s_Ultimate_Unbrick.zip for free on Filesonic.com

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean to alarm you, but one thing I've read here before is that deleting some bloatware that AT&T adds to the Infuse can cause havoc in an update. As the OTA update looks for those apps, things could go wrong. Does anyone know for a fact whether that is true. My experience was with an Apple computer that once I deleted "unnecessary" apps. Then when there was a system update, I kept getting an error message.

Yup, removal of bloatware can cause problems when attempting to install updates.
Better to either hide or freeze the apps you don't want to deal with. Out of sight out of mind. Unless you have 500 apps or so, storage space shouldn't be a problem.