Default Browser goes to Ads and other non-requested pages automatically

Jesterjim

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I am using the default browser since I purchased the device (non-rooted). I recently DL'd several Live Wallpapers and things went sideways from there.

* home page would not load or be reset to something else not of my choosing
* only would load ad pages when browser was launched instead of home page or defined search engine
* can load other pages but don't want to do anything for fear of getting data stolen.
* lots of entries in my App section that cannot be uninstalled and they suspicious as hell. i.e "Buddies Now'

I am not sure if i am hosed or not. I've uninstalled all the apps I thought I installed, no joy. I tried several AV's and they don't find anything and the problem still persists.

Do I need to flatten this phone or is there a way to pull this crud off? I sure would like some closer on this.

Thanks in advance!
-J

Cranky

Professional
May 27, 2011
Visit site
Go into settings, manage apps, all, and clear the defaults on the browser. It may be listed as Internet or Browser.

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I am using the default browser since I purchased the device (non-rooted). I recently DL'd several Live Wallpapers and things went sideways from there.

* home page would not load or be reset to something else not of my choosing
* only would load ad pages when browser was launched instead of home page or defined search engine
* can load other pages but don't want to do anything for fear of getting data stolen.
* lots of entries in my App section that cannot be uninstalled and they suspicious as hell. i.e "Buddies Now'

I am not sure if i am hosed or not. I've uninstalled all the apps I thought I installed, no joy. I tried several AV's and they don't find anything and the problem still persists.

Do I need to flatten this phone or is there a way to pull this crud off? I sure would like some closer on this.

Thanks in advance!
-J
Buddies now is bloatware from AT&T or Samsung.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
My last four phones from at&t have all been Samsung phones. None of them had an app called Buddies anything.

Phones were:

Galaxy Note 2 (present)
Galaxy S3
Galaxy Note
Galaxy S2

To the OP, most people don't believe in antivirus apps, but download one and try it. It couldn't hurt to try. I have AVG on my phone, but there are others like Avast in the marketplace. They are free and offer a small piece of mind if anything.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
last four phones from at&t have all been Samsung phones. None of them had an app called Buddies anything.

Phones were:

Galaxy Note 2 (present)
Galaxy S3
Galaxy Note
Galaxy S2
My Samsung Infuse came with it.
Buddies now - from Samsung. Google it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy