After a couple days of playing I can't help to wonder, "What is the point?"

robamacaf

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Let me start by saying I love the idea behind Ingress and I think it has a lot of potential but as it currently stands you pretty much do the same actions at all the locations you go to and you do them over and over every day. For instance there is a Post Office near by so I captured the portal by building resonators and then the next day someone destroyed the whole thing. So the next day I went back and destroyed his and reclaimed it and the next day they destroyed mine, etc. Depending on how many your side captures you get points for your side but they don't mean anything or do anything. After a couple days I have stopped "playing" because it turned to be more of a chore than anything.

On the first day I drove around and captured all of the points in a good 3-4 mile radius of my house. This was pretty fun. But once captured there wasn't anything else to do really. I either wait until someone attacks them or I do nothing because it only takes a second to fill your bar with energy so it's not like I could even drive around and fill that up. It is pretty much always full.

I know this sounds like I'm bashing the game but I do really love the idea behind it. I played Parallel Kingdoms (which is kinda like this) for years. Maybe it gets better in Ingress, I don't know.

What's your opinion? Have any tips/advice for me to make it more fun?

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Once I've fallen into the "I have everything routine" I just made a daily habit of hacking whatever portals I come across. That way, when someone does get wise and tries to undo me I'm stacked and ready for it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Let me start by saying I love the idea behind Ingress and I think it has a lot of potential but as it currently stands you pretty much do the same actions at all the locations you go to and you do them over and over every day. For instance there is a Post Office near by so I captured the portal by building resonators and then the next day someone destroyed the whole thing. So the next day I went back and destroyed his and reclaimed it and the next day they destroyed mine, etc. Depending on how many your side captures you get points for your side but they don't mean anything or do anything. After a couple days I have stopped "playing" because it turned to be more of a chore than anything.

On the first day I drove around and captured all of the points in a good 3-4 mile radius of my house. This was pretty fun. But once captured there wasn't anything else to do really. I either wait until someone attacks them or I do nothing because it only takes a second to fill your bar with energy so it's not like I could even drive around and fill that up. It is pretty much always full.

I know this sounds like I'm bashing the game but I do really love the idea behind it. I played Parallel Kingdoms (which is kinda like this) for years. Maybe it gets better in Ingress, I don't know.

What's your opinion? Have any tips/advice for me to make it more fun?

The point of the game is that their is no point

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
My problem with the game is there are very few portals around my house/work. I have to drive around to build them or attack them. It seems like one guy right now runs the town. It also runs like crap on my older phone but that's to be expected and it will be better in a few weeks when I get a new one.

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
After capturing a portal. Did you upgrade the resonators? Did you place shields on the portal? The point is not to capture a portal but to triangulate the area between 3 portals creating a control field. Unless you live in a rather large city this means traveling a bit. After playing for about 2 weeks I am working with over 30 portals. Did you attempt to coordinate with other players? There is strategy to this game. If you let this opposing player have this portal and create a field encompassing the portal. You have essentially blocked any potential link the player can make and the portal becomes less valuable.

bryanc28

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I found last night that you can remotely recharge the portals. I live 5 - 10 miles from most of my portals but I can bring them up in the Inventory screen, target one and recharge it. That keeps you from having to travel so much.

munsterrr

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Only been playing for 2 days now and at first I was in the same boat. "What in the hell am I capturing these little dots for?!". After a quick run through of the instructions located HERE (a def must read). I wondered my happy ass outside and started wrecking shop. Now I can not stop thinking about my babies and making sure they are ok. It is admittedly quite fun walking around and wondering who is playing along with you.

Living/working in DC also helps quite a bit with maintaining interest. I work 2 blocks from the White House and there is absolutely no shortage of portals too.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The problem I'm having is that there are 3 guys in my area that pretty much "own" the city. I see the same three names on all of the portals I'm found, and these guys are very well entrenched. Most of the portals are fully stocked by L3 and L4 resonators with two or three portals shields. To make things worse, as a level 1 player, I seem to only be able to use the L1 XMP Busters. Even though I have several L2 and an L3, the "Fire" button is grayed out, and three L1's only took the weakest portal I've found from 8K energy to 7.7K. Meaning I would need 80 of them to actually *do* anything. I was really excited when I first got my invite about two weeks ago, but I have to admit, the game is already becoming a bit tedious. I've spent two days (on a weekend) driving around to access different portals in the south east suburbs where I live, even driving over 30 minutes away from my apartment, and I've spent most of my lunch breaks walking around downtown, but it's starting to feel a bit pointless.

colortheorydeveloper

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I am in the crowds of people that end up coming across a portal that is well defended without any weapons available or only LVL 1 weapons to attack with. The individual who works at the local post office even is in the game, and ... really ... how could I expect to compete with that. Someone who works and defends a portal in his vacinity just wouldn't be worth fighting.

I noticed the capability of taking a picture and sharing it through the Ingress Special Ops feature when using the camera. But I haven't even gotten a hold of exactly what this does for me. Perhaps it is linked with Google Goggles and lets you create portals around something that would trigger off of an important location that could be found off of geo-tagged imagery. Potentially keeping users from creating portals anywhere, like in their bedrooms, etc. Not sure though. I don't quite understand the concept of it yet entirely.

It could be enticing and I did drive around a little bit to experiment with it, but probably will not be doing much of anything with it after a couple hours of playing around and having a bit of fun.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The point? have fun while collecting info for Google! :)

I have found it to be a great means of discovering things that I otherwise have ignored (HMDb, for example).

Emicfate

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I cant help but wonder wich of you lives in my city. I currently control most of the south east half of a rather large city. And two other players control most of the rest and we work hard at keeping it that way. I find this game to be a blast and have lots of fun playing it. I to have been to places in my city that I never even knew existed and have learned quite a bit from it. I should invest in oil companies though as Ive spent quite a bit on gas in the past two weeks.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: After a couple days of playing I can't help to wonder, "What is the point?"

The point of the game is to collect data for Google, but nicely hidden in a fun way that people who just want to play a nice fun game wouldn't know, while people who likes to investigate stuff knows that Google is using data collected from players in the game to improve their maps app.

ServingSara

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The point of the game is to collect data for Google, but nicely hidden in a fun way that people who just want to play a nice fun game wouldn't know, while people who likes to investigate stuff knows that Google is using data collected from players in the game to improve their maps app.

Love it! And maybe to increase gas sales.:-( ingress is becoming expensive.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Point 1: It got me out for a 3-mile walk in the drizzle where I'd normally sit at my desk wondering what kind of idiot would go walking in this weather. My first 7 portal hacks were a nice incentive for a solid stroll.

Point 2: I see a lot more of this in my future. I tend to walk more often when my walks have a purpose, even if it's a pointless purpose.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney