Confused as to how portals/locations populate the map.

Cretz

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I just started playing and am confused on how the game world is generated. Portals appear on what is basically a Google map, correct? Why are there only a few portals currently downtown where I am? How are more portals added? Are they based on locations already present in Google maps? Or does taking a picture with your camera and submitting it via share>selecting Ingress accomplish this? If this is how new portals are added, does this mean every single portal that currently exists and will exist was/will be added in this fashion?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just started playing and am confused on how the game world is generated. Portals appear on what is basically a Google map, correct? Why are there only a few portals currently downtown where I am? How are more portals added? Are they based on locations already present in Google maps? Or does taking a picture with your camera and submitting it via share>selecting Ingress accomplish this? If this is how new portals are added, does this mean every single portal that currently exists and will exist was/will be added in this fashion?

- Portals appear on what is basically a map view, yes.
- The portals Ingress started out with are significant landmarks and civil buildings like fire departments, post offices, etc. You share a geotagged photo (GPS/Location ON) to "NIS Super Ops" on your phone to submit a new portal for consideration, it supposedly takes about a month or two to publish a new portal between the approval and publishing process.