Commuter Case vs. Defender Case

CommonerChaos

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey guy. I just recently bought a HTC Inspire 4G, and I need a case, ASAP. I've heard a lot about Otterbox Cases, so I decided to get an Otterbox, but I don't know which one. I'm torn between the Commuter case and the Defender Case. I like the size of the Commuter Case, but I'm not quite sure how good the screen protector is. I really like how the Defender case has a screen protector include (so I don't have to apply a screen portector myself) But the case is quite bulky. Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback about either cases? That would be great. Thanx.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i have both, i almost prefer the defender for the protection. commutter screen protector is very good! i hate the built in one of the defender and took it out. i use my defender more than the commutter which is surprising to me. just feels good, and not as bulky as it seems really.

CommonerChaos

May 11, 2011
Visit site
How well is the protection on the Commuter? Also, I'm very curious about the comparison of the thickness of both the phone cases. How much more thicker is the Defender case than the Commuter? Would you happen to have any side by side photos? lol

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
ok, here are the pics, not the best quality, but i had to use my captivate to take them as my wife has hidden the digital camera! LOL

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i did have the one off the commutter, but i took it off. if i get another i'll put it back on though. i was trying out another that didnt work :(

CommonerChaos

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Alrite, cool. I just placed an order for the Otterbox Commuter case. Hearing you say how great the screen protector is, made me confident in buying it. It looks like a really, all-around great case.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I carry them both in my pocket. Unless I'm "dressed " up for something then i use the holster that came with the defender. The defender is actually not too bad in my front pocket. I wear a lot of cargo shorts so it goes in the side most of the time.

Sent from my Inspire 4G

mattee28

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I find the on button, at the top, is difficult to press with the commuter case on than without it on, imo. It's sorta slants with the curve making my finger have to reach more and press harder. -_-.. other wise it's a nice looking case with minimal protection.

I was looking on ebay for inspires with cracked screens and one guy said his fell from his lap to a tile floor with the commuter case on. u_u Makes me want to buy the defender.

JohnPaulHutch

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I have both the Otterbox Defender and the Commuter, not to mention a plethora of other cases, and there is just no comparison, the defender is great if you want the best possible protection and don't care about the bulkiness, The commuter is great also, if you don't want a gigantic phone, but want very good protection.

Right now I have an evo 4g and have a gigantic battery, so I had to buy a gigantic case(Seidio Innocase Rugged Extended). Now that case is HUGE.

raver_returns

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I find the on button, at the top, is difficult to press with the commuter case on than without it on, imo. It's sorta slants with the curve making my finger have to reach more and press harder. -_-.. other wise it's a nice looking case with minimal protection.

I was looking on ebay for inspires with cracked screens and one guy said his fell from his lap to a tile floor with the commuter case on. u_u Makes me want to buy the defender.

I had problems with that button on the first case that I tried. (speck candyshell) So I took that one back and ordered the Seidio Active X case. It's VERY similar to the commuter, but looks a hell of a lot better imo. Plus you can get it in an assortment of colors. Best of all, the top button is even easier to push than with no case at all. They've apparently compensated for that with a little extra piece of rubber at that spot.

08BlackWRX

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I've got a otterbox defender case i'm looking to get rid for the inspire/ desire....its case only, no screen protector. Looking to get $20 for it, pm me if interested.