Noob Time: I had my phone rooted...now I can't upgrade?

recondoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Howdy Folks,
I'm a relative noob to Android as a whole. I wanted to get around the ATT insane extra charge to turn my phone into a hotspot so I had it rooted and it's been running great. Not a problem one.

Current Situation: I received notice the other day that ATT had the HTC Gingerbread Upgrade available. I downloaded the upgrade, waited until I wouldn't need my phone for a few hours and then ran the install. The phone started through it's paces and then I go to a blank screen. It's not blacked out as I can still see that it is powered up but the screen is just blank. The phone then stay's that way until I do a battery pull. Once I do the battery pull and restart it, the phone works fine again but has not had the install. It still gives me the notice that the upgrade is ready to install.

Questions: Is the Gingerbread upgrade even worth the headaches of trying to do this?
Is the failure to upgrade directly related to the rooting?
Do I even want to mess with this or just blow it off?
Is there a way to get Gbread if I don't want to use the HTC upgrade?
Should I just hold out for Icecream Sandwich?

Any help to resolve some of my ignorance is highly appreciated.
Damn being an old guy sucks in the tech age.

Thanks,
Doc

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Once you root, you can no longer upgrade thru AT&T or HTC. You would need to flash the official rooted Gingerbread rom, which can be had over at XDA. A word of caution however, Gingerbread breaks the free hotspot hack.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

flappjaxxx

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Not being able to upgrade to the official Gingerbread release is a good thing. It's screwed up. Plenty of better Gingerbread ROMs available.

Agreed tons of great gingerbread roms floating around with something for everyone. CM7 is always a great start.

Sent from A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20