ROM-free Root?

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There are a lot of smart people working on the hacking of this phone, and I have no doubt of their abilities. If something -can- be done, it will be, eventually. What I want to know from these smarter-than-me people is will this phone ever have a root method that does not require the flashing of a ROM and the loss of all apps and data?

I understand that it's a relatively low price to pay for what you get from rooting, but I'm REALLY OCD and having to go through the process of getting my phone back just the way I want it would frustrate the crap out of me. I really don't see myself rooting until I can do it without losing everything.

If you're so inclined, I'm also probably smart enough to understand the reason behind this if the answer is no.

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, clearly no one has an answer for me, lol. How about this one - I've found an app on the Market that seems as if it ought to be able to basically take a snapshot of what my phone is like right now and put it back the way it was after I root. If I use this app, and I root, is it possible for me to get my phone back to the way it is right now, just rooted?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro

mrro82

Mr. Ro.
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
You're going to lose everything. There is really no way around it. Now, once you root, you can use Titanium Backup and backup all your apps and data. That will help you when you start over with a new ROM. In the long run, the ends justify the means once you get rid of all that crappy bloatware and can actually use your phone that YOU paid for the way YOU want to use it. That was my biggest reason to root. Screw the Death Star. This is my phone. :D

Silas0220

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
While I'm right there with you in theory, in practice it's simply not worth it to me to lose everything. Not to mention that the simplest root methods have already made my head spin. I'm sure I could manage it if I needed to, but when even a line like "Ensure you have unzipped the SDK, then open a command prompt to the extract location. Change to the 'tools directory," has me asking myself "How??" three times, it worries me. I'd rather not ruin my phone at this point - it -is- working, if not quite the way I'd want it to.

I've heard of something called a temp-root. Is this a method for me to get temporary root access to install something like SetCPU and then lose the root later? Or am I just smoking dreams and leprechaun hair?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Smoking dreams....
Rooting is easier then I thought I it would be.
Upstreamiami had a BIG hand in it.

I still don't understand roms and themes (unless they mean using go launcher, etc. with a theme) so I am rooted with the original rom and just got rid of the excess software.