help

keana

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello I have a HTC inspire I used the simple one click root I found on this forum by bobby 323 it worked great everything went as planned I have Rom manager,superuser. But when I click the tethering widget or go to the menu and select tendering I get the same message as if my phone wasn't rooted it says tethering is not set up for this sim contact ATT please help me (please excuse misspelled words I'm.using my phone )

bmolloy

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
When you use the simple root you still have a stock version of the ROM on there so it will still give you the tethering notification because it is an AT&T branded ROM on your phone. You need to go to the market and download "wireless tether". That will get you up and running if you want to use your phone as a hot spot.

There is a little trickery you have to do to find "wireless tether" in the market. Being that you still have that "AT&T STOCK ROM" (sort of) wireless tether will be blocked in the market so you have to:

1. Put your phone in airplane mode
2. Turn your wifi back on and connect to the internet
3. Go into the market and look for "wireless tether" (by not being connected to the 3G network AT&T can't block things in the market)
4. Install it and turn your phone off airplane mode.

The set up is easy, you can change SSID, Password etc.

The other option is to flash a new ROM that has no AT&T branding and uses Android's Native wifi tethering option. Before you do this, however, do some reading and make sure you have the correct version the Bootloader to work with Clockwork Mod. (People that used the simple root have had problems with this). Here is a point in the right direction. CWM blackscreen? Look here before posting! - xda-developers Go to post #7 and follow those directions so you can avoid the 7hrs of hell I spent with nothing but a black screen on my phone.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I am about 1 wk ahead of you in this whole process. Not an expert just a bit obsessed!