I understand that gold cards are imperative to the rooting process, but what about post root?

Am I allowed to use the card still -- format, store stuff? Do I put it in a glass case never to be touched again? Can I have 2 gold cards? 3?

Yes, I'm new. Haha.
    04-06-2011 05:03 PM
    I understand that gold cards are imperative to the rooting process, but what about post root?

Am I allowed to use the card still -- format, store stuff? Do I put it in a glass case never to be touched again? Can I have 2 gold cards? 3?

Yes, I'm new. Haha.
    The GC is used solely for the rooting process. After that you can do whatever you want with it. Personally I keep it as a GC just in case. I basically have 3 SD cards. 1 GC, 1 ROM flashing card and 1 everyday card for apps, music etc. I has them laying around from previous smart phones.
    palmersprom likes this.
    04-06-2011 05:16 PM
    Well, does it ever ... like, *not* be a gold card? I mean, if I were to format it, or if I were to flash a rom with it, would it stop being a gold card? I guess I just don't quite understand how that process works.

Also, if I were to ever want/need to uproot (unroot?) my phone, do I need to use the same gold card? Or, would I be able to make another gc?
    04-06-2011 05:25 PM
    Well, does it ever ... like, *not* be a gold card? I mean, if I were to format it, or if I were to flash a rom with it, would it stop being a gold card? I guess I just don't quite understand how that process works.

Also, if I were to ever want/need to uproot (unroot?) my phone, do I need to use the same gold card? Or, would I be able to make another gc?
    Good question and honestly I'm not sure. Maybe? If you want to use it for something I would say go ahead and format it. Just remember it in case for some really odd and random reason you have to root again.
    04-06-2011 06:04 PM
    You mean.. *unroot* right? Not root?

So, it's not possible to have 2 gc?

I'm confusing myself lol. Sorry. I think I'll probably get another sd card, because I only have this one right now.
    04-06-2011 06:12 PM
    You mean.. *unroot* right? Not root?

So, it's not possible to have 2 gc?

I'm confusing myself lol. Sorry. I think I'll probably get another sd card, because I only have this one right now.
    AFAIK you don't need it to unroot only to root. If something really odd happened and you had to run the root process again, you'll need that card. Know what I mean?
    04-06-2011 06:21 PM
    I couldn't make another gold card if I screwed up with this one?
    04-06-2011 11:07 PM
    I couldn't make another gold card if I screwed up with this one?
    You sure can. You'll just need to find one that will work. Finding a good gold card can be tricky. Some just won't work for whatever reason.
    Case in point: When I was going to make mine. I tried 2 SanDisk 2GB cards. Popular brand. It has to work I thought. No such luck. Both failed. I found a 2GB card that came with a BlackBerry I owned years ago and that one had no brand name on it at all. Just a 2GB logo. That one worked.
    palmersprom likes this.
    04-07-2011 08:00 AM
    Okay, wow. I'll definitely be sure to pick up another micro SD then, in case.

Thanks for the info, mrro82!
    04-07-2011 03:39 PM
    Okay, wow. I'll definitely be sure to pick up another micro SD then, in case.

Thanks for the info, mrro82!
    No prob.
    04-07-2011 04:34 PM
    Couldn't I just backup everything on my GoldCard to a folder on my Desktop and have it to put back on the SD card if I was to ever need it again?
    04-14-2011 02:34 AM
    Couldn't I just backup everything on my GoldCard to a folder on my Desktop and have it to put back on the SD card if I was to ever need it again?
    Not sure. I guess if you got it to work once, it should be ok next time if you need it.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    04-14-2011 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD