How can I root my Inspire with a Mac?

redsox9724

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I have an Inspire 4G and I really wanted to root it. I don't care about unlocking, and I don't even know what the other stuff means. (S-off?) So I was wondering if there was a way to root it with my Mac and if was possible to just root. (I have VMWare fusion.):D thanks

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
HTC Desire: Creating Goldcard Using Mac Or Linux?€? | Mike Southby

I have been asked by a few people how to make a goldcard using a Mac, but as I do not have access to one at the moment I have not been able to produce a guide however thanks to Johnny and some research using Google you’ll be pleased to know that I have now produced a guide.

Caveat: I have not been able to test this myself as currently I do not have a Mac to test with; however I have read various comments confirming that this method works. Please post a comment to let me know how you get on.

PLEASE backup the entire contents of your microSD before proceeding, in one of the first steps you’ll need to reformat. I will not be accountable for anyone neglecting to do this and loosing data – you have been warned!

So, to create a goldcard using Mac OSX, simple do the following:

Backup the data on your microSD
Click Menu on your mobile
Go to Settings and then SD & Phone Storage
Click Unmount SD card
Click Format SD card

We now need to know the microSD cards CID number, using this method; we can find it by going to the market and downloading ASTRO File Manager. Once you have downloaded and installed it, do the following:

Open ASTRO File Manager
Navigate to sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:82d1 (you’ll find that 82d1 will be different on your device)
Long press on the CID file
Select Open As and then Text
Select File Editor
You’ll be given a long number, make a note of this

Next we need this long number in order to create your goldcard image; this can be done by using a simple tool found on this page:

Copy the number carefully into the data field and hit Submit
Make a note of the new number

Next to create the actual goldcard image by going to this page:

Enter the number from above into the SD Card Serial (CID) field
Enter the other details and hit Generate Goldcard
Check your email and save the attached goldcard image file to your user directory

Connect your Desire to your Mac and do the following:

Pull down the notification bar and press Charge Only (if you have previously changed the default option this may be different, i.e. HTC Sync)
Select the Disk Drive option and hit Done
On your Mac, open Terminal which can be found by clicking through Applications>Utilities>Terminal (or your Linux Terminal)
Type the following:
diskutil list
You should be able to see your microSD card; you can recognise it from its size and by the fact that its type is DOS_FAT_32. You need to make a note of the Identifier for example disk2s1
Now you need to unmount the microSD, assuming your Identifier was disk2s1 (change the value ‘2’ based on the number you got after the word ‘disk’) enter the following:
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk2

Finally, to create your individual goldcard do the following:

Open Terminal once again and type the following:
sudo dd bs=512 if=~/goldcard.img of=/dev/disk2
(remembering to change the ‘2’ if appropriate)
You’ll need to enter your password when prompted (or if using Linux, the password for root)

That’s it, goldcard created!

Q: but i cant find the CID number on my SD card and i downloaded astro file manager and everything.
A: with the sd card in the phone and the phone plugged into your mac, in disk drive mode do this at a command prompt
adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2:*/cid

from your android sdk tools directory that should give CID

Q: how can i access adb? i cant find it anywhere in any folder i have
A: you have to have installed the android SDK on your computer.
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html - it's also part of the hack kit look in the tools/osx directory

Q: i just installed the SDK and all i have in the ace hack kit V9 is adb and i cant do anything on it. it just runs and i cant enter anything into it.
A: ok open a command prompt in the directory the hack kit is located

then type adb then the command

Q: how do you open a command prompt in the directory. do i just go t the terminal application and type in adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc2/mmc2:*/cid
because i tried that in the terminal emulator on my phone and it says access denied

A: Open terminal on the Mac. Drag the advanced program to that window. Then type the rest of the command

Q: should i place the hack kit on my phone's sd card?
A: Create a folder on your desktop called "Inspire". Extract all of the files within the hack kit to this folder on your computer, not your SD card. Drag this folder to the terminal, hit Return. Now follow the instructions in the Linux/OSX readme (it will be one of the files you extracted)

Anything Else: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=997677

Last edited:
Reactions: iEmmanuel_FTW_NOU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463