Traveling to the UK, Ireland and France, best pay as you go for HTC DNA?

julez

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I have never been out of the country before, so I am new to the whole international calling thing.

I have an HTC Droid DNA and know it has a GSM radio in it as well.

My carrier is Verizon, and their international plan is pretty horrendous. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of x number of minutes and 100mb of data for $40 and $25 for every 100mb after that.

What are my options?

Will_C

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
For the UK GiffGaff is your best bet, its very cheap and you can pay for only 1 month if you like. You can get 250 Minutes, Unlimited texts and 1GB of data for about $15 a month. There are also tariffs with more (or less) if thats what you need.

WRX13

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I am traveling to the same three places and have similar concerns.

I feel like I've seen so many carriers--is there any reason to choose one over another for a week's stay for any reason other than price?

Krkuenzel

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Cant speak to France or Ireland, but Lebara might be a decent option... with a lot of the standard carriers, such as O2, Vodafone etc, I found you have to have a UK bank account to get even the short term plans. The 30 day plans are sometimes included in credit checks, because essentially they are rolling plans every 30 days and you have to cancel them. With Lebara, you can buy credit nearly anywhere and sometimes they have people giving the sims away at the airport. A friend just visited me in London from the US and used Lebara sim in his Note 2. Hope this helps

afgzee

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Just decided to post this for anyone reading this thread and it will help you save money if traveling to these countries.

Best carrier would be Three UK. The reason I say this is because Three operate a network both in the UK & Ireland, you can use the same SIM card and the exact same allowance in both the UK & Ireland without paying any extra roaming charges.

So here is an example you get to the UK, buy a Pay As You Go sim card, top up ?15 and activate the all in one 15 add on, you will get 300 minutes, 3000 texts and all-you-can-eat data, this allowance can also be used in Ireland PLUS Austria, Australia, Denmark, Hong Kong, Italy, and Sweden without incurring any extra charges, except the all-you-can eat UK data will be limited to 40GB in any of the other countries unless you buy a Three unlimited data plan in that country.

lifesaver1

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Part of the equation is which country you will arrive in first, as you will likely want to set up your phone there. My experience last month involved Ireland, then Germany, using a Motorola Droid Razr Max. In Terminal 1 in Dublin there was a generic booth. Signed up for Vodaphone Ireland for one month for euro 30. The tech set up the APN code on the phone so that it worked for data (make sure you get a tech who can do that for you). Plan included euro 30 credit, 500 MB data, unlimited Vodaphone to Vodaphone calling, and 100 international minutes. Then Vodaphone gave me euro 10 more credit for registering my number online. Had I stayed in Ireland, I wouldn't have used that credit in a month. Vodaphone Ireland has a Europe roaming deal called Red, which you can sign up for via text for euro 3.99 per day to roam in most countries in Europe (in my case Germany). That includes 100 MB of data per day and use of all your normal credits as if you were in Ireland (like the international calling minutes). I was there 8 days. In the end, I added euro 10 to the account (so paid euro 40 total). Obviously you need an unlocked phone with a SIM card that can be removed.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante