What's everyone think about the LG Optimus 2X?

Haso17

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Great, but at what price?

I can't bring myself to trust LG. Every phone from them i've had from them fails completely within a year of owning it. The battery life is mostly poor and the phones always restart or shut off for no reason. It may be a great phone but I would take a samsung over it any day.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Lol I would not doubt that one bit. Hopefully they developed it to be very efficient with the battery. Or at least slap a massive battery on it.

1500ma. I'm not sure if the efficiency of tegra 2 but it doesn't seem like enough. Dual 1ghz cores? Look at the battery life of a single 1ghz proc. My guess us you'll get AT MOST 75% of that battery life. So if you get 12 hours now expect 9.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

soldierblade

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is mostly going to depend on what kind of apps and games you like to run dynamically effecting whether that second core is lit and burning juice or clocked way low in the background. I expect the 2X to have similar general use run time to a samsung fascinate.

Dark Phoenix

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I wish they could tell us if America will get and if so who? Moto Etna is going to at&t or verizon. Nexus S that has GB is going to Tmobile, wheres the love for sprint :(

soldierblade

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I wish they could tell us if America will get and if so who? Moto Etna is going to at&t or verizon. Nexus S that has GB is going to Tmobile, wheres the love for sprint :(
I'm sure thats being reserved for CES. I sorta expect this thing to head to VZW first, but thats just a gut feeling based on knowing that they and LG seem to have a better relationship than the other carriers. Samsung seems to favor Sprint so you've got the Orion to look forward to, cause I really dont see them having a variant of the Moto Etna. Its enough of a shock that its going to AT&T first as the Olympus.

Last edited:

Dark Phoenix

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure thats being reserved for CES. I sorta expect this thing to head to VZW first, but thats just a gut feeling based on knowing that they and LG seem to have a better relationship than the other carriers. Samsung seems to favor Sprint so you've got the Orion to look forward to, cause I really dont see them having a variant of the Moto Etna. Its enough of a shock that its going to AT&T first as the Olympus.

Orion is being released when? And I swear if Sprint gets the optimus 2x, I will cry tears of joy.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is mostly going to depend on what kind of apps and games you like to run dynamically effecting whether that second core is lit and burning juice or clocked way low in the background. I expect the 2X to have similar general use run time to a samsung fascinate.

You're assuming android is optimized for dual core. I'm not so sure it is. It'll be interesting to see how resource management goes. Kinda like when dual core first came out for computers.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I think you guys should read up on how Tegra 2 chips work. The two cores work together to split processing loads, frequently under clocking when not needed, to conserve battery. It is likely that if you use your phone the same exact way on a dual that you do on a single, you will see both better performance and longer battery life.

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
You're assuming android is optimized for dual core. I'm not so sure it is. It'll be interesting to see how resource management goes. Kinda like when dual core first came out for computers.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

I was thinking the same thing, the android system has not been optimized (as far as we know) to use dual cores efficiently. It's probably an easy task to get dual-core and android to work together, but to use both cores to it's true potential will take some work. Were going to need some early adopters to use devices like these to work out the bugs. That is just my opinion though, and i'm never right :/

briankeith513

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I think this could be a sweet phone. I hope it comes to VZW-The Network. I'm also happy that it's LG, because they made good feature phones for VZW in the past, and they were the number ranked feature phone manufacturer in the USA, just a few years ago. The LG VX6000, VX7000, VX8000, EnV, Voyager, all were great devices in their time. The question comes down to the skin, if it's not stock Google. The best Android skin that I've used is HTC, followed with a tie between Blur and Samsung's. I would prefer no skin, but I will have to wait and see how LG's skin is. I just hope this phone doesn't have the uber-cheap, plastic feel of the Samsung Galaxy series phones, and the Samsung Omnia phones. Why does Samsung make their phones feel like cheap toys? Give it HTC or Motorola build quality please!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you guys should read up on how Tegra 2 chips work. The two cores work together to split processing loads, frequently under clocking when not needed, to conserve battery. It is likely that if you use your phone the same exact way on a dual that you do on a single, you will see both better performance and longer battery life.

Quite a few other chips already do that. Actually the snapdragon in my myTouch 4G does that, so I doubt I'd see that much better battery life, if at all.

The 600mhz chip in the optimus line of phones (not this one of course) also do that automatically.

This is not a new feature that the tegra 2 magically started using. This is a battery saving trick that ARM chips have been using for a while.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Ill definately pass on this one. Even if it comes to sprint.

A major Hardware improvement wont be perfected and totally utilized on the first run/release. Battery life will SUCK, and performance will beat whats out there at the moment, but it CERTAINLY wont be optimized.

I'll wait till HTC busts out a 1.5ghz newer gen snapdragon dual core. ;)

OH and btw, the skin that will most likely be on this thing reminds me of touchwiz. Excuse me while i barf. Twice.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
It really dose remind me of the galaxy s with touch wiz wise but gees that was fast they just came out with the optimus s i to will hold off till I see how things go when it hits the seen lol but I really can't judge yet cuz Ive owend the galaxy s captivate and now own the optimus s now and the phone I have now I think it has a great battery life right now and I would love to hold it for a week and review it haha

Sent From PrittyBoy203 Using LS670

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I love that 4" seems to be becoming an android gold standard- great size for a phone. Not so big on the style of the phone though... looks like a cheaper built iphone rip. I like it better when the manufacturers try something totally unique and different. HTC has done a great job at innovating style. Not huge on Motos design choices but they get props for the DX just because it was bold, different, we'll built, slim and offereda totally different approach to there Droid line. The Droid 1 and 2 are a bit ugly to me. Samsung and LG make some cool phones but they just feel a bit like substandard iphone design. Just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20