How do I transfer photos from my camera to my Nexus 7?

jcm129

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I would like to be able to connect an SD card (via a card reader) to my Nexus 7 and download photos. I have a cable to connect my card reader to my Nexus, and I have Nexus Media Importer which my Nexus recognises, but when I put the SD card in the reader and connect it to the Nexus no photos appear. I'm wondering if this is to do with the formatting of the card? If so, how should I proceed? If not, what else would work? I would be very grateful for any help.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Does Nexus Media Importer show other media on the card, like mp3 or avi, or is it just jpg that it doesn't show?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jcm129

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
nexus Media Importer doesn't show any files at all.

---------- Post Merged at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:04 PM ----------

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

When you insert the OTG cable with your card reader attached, there should be something near the top of NMI that says: USB Device, and underneath that something like /dev/bus/usb/002/002 15.6GB FAT32 (the last part of that depending on the size and formatting of your card).

If you don't see that after pressing the scan button again, then the card reader isn't being recognized. Either the card reader isn't compatible or the OTG cable is bad. Also, make sure you insert the card into the reader before attaching the reader to your Nexus 7.

Oh, I almost forgot. Your original post mentioned formatting. Yes, the card or USB drive must be formatted as FAT32, FAT16, or NTFS.

And if you haven't done so already, try rebooting your N7.

If it does show the USB device, then, uh, it's something else?!

For photos, NMI can only read jpg and Canon or Nikon raw files, so if you have something other than those, I'd assume that they wouldn't show up. Also, you might want to try the developer's other app, Nexus Photo Viewer, to see if that works. It's a free app.

That's about all I can think of for now. Let us know if any of these ideas worked or if you found another solution.

Last edited:

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Also, a new version of NMI (3.1.1) was just released today. One improvement stated was "Better support for multi-slot readers". Perhaps this will make a difference for you.

jcm129

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My card reader still doesn't work with my new OTG cable. However, the very good news is that I can now connect my camera to my Nexus 7 and import my photos directly from that with Nexus Media Importer. Hooray!

Thank you for your guidance. My card reader is old and a multi one so I'll replace that and try again to read SD cards because that's a good way of transferring music and other files...

Bonsor48

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi jcm129,
Now that you can successfully download your photos from your camera, could you tell me how you connect your camera to the Nexus 7 to make this work?
To be specific, if you are using a connecting cable, what are the the two connecting end types and where do they plug into?
I have a Canon T4i and I would like to do the same downloading too. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11