Lost Photos

tjinlb

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have two questions and both are concerned with photos on my T-Mobile Galaxy S II:

1) I saved a photo received in an e-mail attachment. Later that day it was nowhere to be found in any of the folders and sub-folders available in the FILES widget. Hmm... curious. So I returned to the e-mail to download again but got the message that the file already existed. Hmm... curiouser. What's going on, and more importantly, where is my photo?

2) I was renaming photos taken at the fair. A couple of the pics were related so I the name of the first ended with an ellipsis ... ... and the name of the second began with another ellipsis. The first pic was saved as expected ... ... but the second has vanished into thin air - or into Keanu Reeves' Matrix. Hmm... curiouser and curiouser. Where is my photo, and more importantly, how do I get it back?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to AC!!

Not sure what FILES widget is, but, have you used a file manager to locate the file? Or, have you tried plugging it into a computer VIA USB and looking for the photo there?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Photos downloaded as email attachments usually can be found in the Downloads folder. There should be a shortcut to Downloads in your app tray.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

tjinlb

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Incorrectly calling FILES a widget should be your first clue that I'm a bit out of my depth ;-) Maybe it's an app? (It only took me a week to figure out what that neologism meant.) FILES is that place I go when I want to look at a document I've downloaded, or decide which language lesson to play, or locate a photo to include in a message. It is where my doc/x, mp3/4, gif/JPEG files are located. My only access to computers is at the county library, which computers are unable to access my phone (although not vice versa). As for a file manager, I'm quite game to try one out. Is there one you would recommend that isn't tilted too far in the direction of serious, knowledgeable users? Would I find it in the Play Store? Thanks, by the way, for trying to help. -TJ

tjinlb

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Your answer intrigued me, so I went there to look. Nope. So I returned to the original e-mail to download again. I was cautioned that the file already existed, so this one was appended with the number 3, obviously in reference to my third time at downloading. I returned to Downloads to look at the pic but, surprise surprise, it wasn't there - at least, it wasn't visible, though I suppose it maybe might probably have been there somewhere. Probably hiding under the bed again ..... :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which browser are you using? On my phone (Droid Razr Maxx), if I download anything using the stock browser (i.e., the browser the phone came with), it goes to the Downloads folder. Are you using a 3rd party browser like Dolphin? Sometimes they use their own separate Download folder, which you can either access from the browser menu or by using a 3rd party file manager (see below).

The Files app that you're referring to is probably the phone's stock file manager. These types of file managers are usually pretty bare bones. Good 3rd party file managers include ES File Explorer, Astro File Manager, and Total Commander; they're all free, and can be found in Google Play.

tjinlb

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, B. As far as browsers go, I didn't know there were options. I'm using whatever Samsung/T-Mobile stuffed into my Galaxy S II. I'm not really a dummy, just unfamiliar with all these newfangled inventions. I'm usually in Ghana, where we're lucky to get electricity, much less anything approaching state of the art to run on it. I just bought this phone a few months ago. Hmm... shoulda just bought a danged camera hahahaha. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll head out to the Play Store as soon as I've finished dinner. (Now where'd I put my car keys?) Hey, you said that store was on the corner of First and Main, didn't you? LOL (just joshin' ya)

tjinlb

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well I'll be, B! Found 'em both. Downloaded the Astro app and used the search function. Easy as pie (though I feel more like Rosie than I do like Elroy). Thanks bunches.

tjinlb

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The pic with the initial ellipsis in its name was with the other pics of the fair. The stock file manager (sounds just like a pro now, doesn't he?) doesn't display initial periods. The e-mail attachments were initially from Facebook and were given filenames that began ".facebook et cetera", and were in the download file, as you suggested, but were hiding behind their dots. Again, thanx much for your help. I want to get these pics up on Facebook by sunrise.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante