From Windows too Android

bobbysworldrox

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey there everyone,

So ive finally decided to take the plunge and leave my windows phone 7.5 for Android Htc One-s. Its not an easy decision as ive followed windows since its 6.0 days but i think its time to throw in the towel. There are still missing features that were never incorporated to windows phone from windows Mobile and after 2 years of waiting no sign things will change. Here are a few things i miss.

Selective call blocking - I use to be able to block numbers or texts directly from the phone in WinMo. They dont even have a third party app for that.

Seperate ringer and volume controls - Say im at the gym listening to music, as soon as a message comes in. It comes in at full blast with no way of changing that.

Notifications - Live tiles are great dont get me wrong, if its one thing thats kept me happy is seeing live feeds show up on my homescreen. However a universal notification center is badly needed. If your app is not pinned to the homescreen and you miss the toast notification your screwed. This is bad if you use apps like ebay and real time messages are super important.

Games- You would think with Microsoft owning the number 1 selling console in the world it would get on board with xbox live on your phone. Sad to say not the case. It has some good games but nothing to rave about compared to the competition. I cant understand how that is after two years or more of having the opportunity to catch up.

Smart Dialer- Without a third party app, there is no smart dialer on WP. This is something that i sorely miss from windows mobile.

Phone/Text backup- There is no way to save your chat history that im aware of. This may have changed in wp8 but not to my knowledge. Again a feature i really miss. Last time i had to reset my phone and it took me a long ass time to manually re-install some apps that for some reason didnt download from my profile.

Finally i think customization - I know wp8 now allows for further customization and im glad they do. I just wish they allowed a bit more such as being able to remove the lock screen curtain if you dont want it. Or having an exhibition mode. Just little things that frankly im just tired of waiting. Ive pissed away tons of money on microsoft products and i think its time to throw in the towel. Atleast for now. I stayed loyal as long as i could but it doesnt seem like microsoft will ever catch up. They have done alot of things right especially with there panoramic app design,live tiles and a few other nice things in the OS, But everything else seems half-baked. I guess my dream phone would have been a hybrid of windows mobile features and windows phone smooth and fluid operating system but you cant have the best of both worlds. So moving on to Android. :'(

If theres anything that i should know about android or you have some recommendations about optimal use for my HTC ONE-S let me know.

Thanks,,

bobbysworldrox

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiousity - have you looked at Window 8 Phones to see if they address the issues you are having?

I did. Its a hit an miss really. A few features were addressed via third party but some still have not which is unfortunate. Notifications is just 1 example. Frankly im just tired of waiting. I figured to take a break from windows now and check them out again in summer and see where they stand there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With Android, you can select individual contacts to go directly to voicemail, which is a way to block people. They have to be contacts in your phone, though. Just find the contact, hit the menu button, and check the box that says "All calls to voicemail."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool