New guy here looking for some advise

dytkd

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello fellow android users/owners! I am new to the the forum, and I was looking for some advise. I am looking to get a tablet. What I have in mind, nexus 7, new nexus 7 or Tf300T I have been looking for the tf300 for a while now, and i read mainly positive reviews about it, but I could't afford the price tag. I have a $200 budget for my tablet, getting a used tf300 will be even below budget. My main concern is that the model is not as new, and I am afraid 4.2 maybe the last official updated on that device. That takes care of the tf300.
I also liked the nexus 7 a lot, and seeing that the new nexus 7 will be out anyday now, i could used that to my advantage to try to find a nexus 7 for under $100.
In regards to the new nexus 7, well, it seems to be new "right thing for the price". The affordability, specs, and newest updates put it in the front of the line. While the price is only $30 over my budget. I feel like I can way below budget if i go after the tf300 or nexs 7.

Sorry if I am all over the place. in your opinion, what do you think will be best based on, price, specs and availability to OS updates? Keep in mind that I am just the average user. Mainly need the check my email, surf the web, watch videos and video conference with my fam overseas. and some gaming like WWF, or candy crush. LOL. nothing really crazy...

Thank you for all your help.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi, and welcome to the forums.

For what you want to do with a tablet (email, web surfing, video watching, and video-conferencing), it sounds like the Nexus 7 should meet your needs. I don't know that you'll find one for $100 when the new one is out, but I would think $125-$150 would be reasonable (unless you want to get a used one, in which case you'll find them cheaper).

You may find once you have one that you want to use it for more, but it doesn't sound like you'll be a heavy user based on the info you posted. I have zero trouble recommending the Nexus 7. It's a great tablet.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about updates, but I would think the Nexus 7 will receive quite a few future updates (I'd be surprised if it didn't for awhile yet anyways).

dytkd

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. I meant $100 for used one tho. One thing i forgot to mention is the size. Sometimes i feel like 7 maybe to small, but not all the time. I remember one thing that keeps making me think about the tf300 is the ex. mini sd option not available on the nexus. Do you think $150 for a TF300 is a good price given the size and memory expansion option?

dytkd

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I was looking for some used tablets just now. I basically have 2 offers in line. used nexus 7 16gb for $100 or used TF300 16gb for $150, and it comes down to those two. I think I am going to the nexus 7 bc of budget.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
any other ideas?

Welcome to the forums!

Evil Monkey said it best. I can't really add anything to it. As a general rule of thumb: At least 8GB internal (Android will take up 4) and the more RAM the better. But I agree, the Nexus is probably the best way to go.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna jump on the Nexus bandwagon here. We have one kicking about the house and it's a great tablet. There aren't enough good things to say about it honestly. In regards to the size: 7 seems small to think about it, but I also own an original Galaxy Tab 10.1. I only use it in the car now due to it's size. I can't lay in bed and read with it because it's too big and heavy. The thing to remember is it's like lifting a 5lb barbell. You can lift it really easily and laugh at how light it is until you have to hold it out in front of you for an extended period of time. My arms got tired of holding the 10.1. I enjoyed my Note 8 a lot before I got rid of it, but I miss that tablet. I'd go with the 7 and you won't look back.

dytkd

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
thank you everyone for your input. It seems like 7 it is then. I may just wait a few days until the new n7 comes out to help drop prices on the current model