Android Newbe Alert!!!

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

My name is Teddy, I'm from England, I recently bought a new Samsung S4 from a Nokia Lumia 800 - Do I even need to say how much better off I am? I never realised how good these phones where until I picked up this in a shop. WOW impressive.

I have not had any issues yet that I wasn't unable to solve rather quickly.

So as I am new there are a few questions I would like to ask about Keyboards, if you have the time I will post some questions if that ok?

Thanks

Last edited:

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
So I have question.

I have tried ad tested several keyboard apps but my top two are Google and A.I Type keyboard - the one I do use mainly is A.I as its customization is brilliant and I can have the Google keyboard Theme.

so my question is A.I keyboard uses around 42Mb of Ram - Is this Bad????

Thanks

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!! :)

Hmmm.....42MB (when compared to Thumb Keyboard) seems like a lot. Is it causing any lag or anything on your phone?

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
why thank you!!

It seems ok most of the time but every now and then some keys may stick for a second but nothing major.

also I am using nova launcher and some of my apps in some folders on my home screen seem to remove themselves - such as I have a games folder and twice now it has happened, where all the games will just remove themselves from the folder and them I am unable to re add them without deleting the folder itself and creating a new one. I should point out that when I try to re add doodle jump it freezes and says "nova has stopped responding" and closes and asks me to choose a default launcher again. Help would be great but its not a major issues however with a new phone this is kind of annoying.

Thanks

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I have question.

I have tried ad tested several keyboard apps but my top two are Google and A.I Type keyboard - the one I do use mainly is A.I as its customization is brilliant and I can have the Google keyboard Theme.

so my question is A.I keyboard uses around 42Mb of Ram - Is this Bad????

Thanks

Welcome to the forums!!!
That does sound kind of high. Google Keyboard takes up about 25 or 30. The thing is, with apps like your keyboard will always be running. So the more you can shave there, the more RAM you can have open for other apps.

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!!!
That does sound kind of high. Google Keyboard takes up about 25 or 30. The thing is, with apps like your keyboard will always be running. So the more you can shave there, the more RAM you can have open for other apps.

Thank you for the welcome Golddiver97

Ah well it may well be the themes and colours I have then. I guess that will make it use more RAM?

Also have any of you used Nova Launcher before? In the previous post I mentioned the issues I have had, do you think you could shine any light on it?

thanks

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome Golddiver97

Ah well it may well be the themes and colours I have then. I guess that will make it use more RAM?

Also have any of you used Nova Launcher before? In the previous post I mentioned the issues I have had, do you think you could shine any light on it?

thanks

I do. No problems on Galaxy S3. I have heard of issues and hiccups on the S4.
I wouod email the developer and let them know.

Sent a long time ago from a Galaxy Tab 2 far, far away on AC forums

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome! I'm using SwiftKey and have been using it for a few years now. What keyboard do you prefer as of right now?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Hello :) what a friendly bunch we have on here!

Well I was using Google Keyboard to begin with then I switched to AI Type Keyboard - I really liked A.I Type for the customization of colours etc.

But after using SwiftKey I have realised how much smoother and accurate it is for typing - It looks pretty too on it's own. So I'm very happy with that.

Do any of you guys use Nova Launcher, as i'm having some issues with it.

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
i use nova launcher and swiftkey...what issues have you been having. BTW, swiftkey is the best keyboard imo :)

Haha Swiftkey certainly is good at predicting what I want to say. Also the issues wit Nova, I have emailed the developer so here is the email I have sent:

Hi,

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I downloaded Nova Launcher and Nova Prime but I am having some issues.

One issue is, for some reason every so often some of my folders on the home screens will just empty or remove some apps I have stored there. An example is with my games folder - for some reason - I still have not figured out why or when (maybe when I restart the phone but I am unsure if this is when it happens) but my Games folder is empty and if I try to re add the game apps to the folder it will just act like an icon and not let me add to it and it will just move about if I hover an app over it to add. The only way around this is to delete the folder and create a new one again. Any advice would be great.

Another issue is that when I close apps by holding the home button and then going back to the home screen will bring me to Touchwiz and not Nova. This doesn't happen every time I do this but, it does happen every time I launch the task manager to look at RAM, then hold the home button to slide the page to close it - this brings me to TouchWiz every time.

If you can help me that would be great.
Just to point out I have restarted the phone several times and taken out the battery - Also all defaults are cleared on TouchWiz.

Many Thanks

Neox3d

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
i don't know the perma solution for this, as I have never seen this error before. Though what you can do is to make your folders and then when you are done leaving them where you want them to be, just go to nova settings and make a backup. then when they disappear just import the backup back, it will restore the folders or any icons, just the way you set the launcher, basically with a single command.

also are you using nova prime or the free version?

Try using a custom task manager.

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
hmmmm ok I will back it up - its certainly a work around but would rather this didn't happen - also I am using Prime so it should in theory be more stable?

I do like using Clean Master to clear Catche from the phone - unless there is a better option?

Also - I have sony 5.1 surround sound system with a ipod dock - I do not have an ipod anymore but would still like to connect my S4 to the Blueray player via usb like the ipod dock was to play music but for some reason when I connect my s4 to the player with te usb wire it doesn't pick up that it is connected. do I have to format the SD Card or something or buy a dock for this to work? any ideas?

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
hmmm well all I can say is NOVA NO MORE, had to get rid of it. was really starting bug me.

if I can sort the issues out then maybe but I think the touchwiz stability is just better for me. I do miss the gestures already though such as 2 finger swipe down for camera etc.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
hmmm well all I can say is NOVA NO MORE, had to get rid of it. was really starting bug me.

if I can sort the issues out then maybe but I think the touchwiz stability is just better for me. I do miss the gestures already though such as 2 finger swipe down for camera etc.

Nothing to worry about. Everything to put on your Android is hit or miss. You like it or not. Rarely there is a middle ground.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Neox3d

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
One thing you could have done through nova, (I missed it too) was to lock your desktop, that way all the launcher setting the desktop, by default can't be moved, deleted or changed. YOu actually have to hold down on an icon for a prompt to ask you that you want to change anything on the homescreen. I use it all the time, that way I don't shuffle my rows and columns of apps or dock icons. Just wondering, it might have had done the trick once your icons and folders had settled in.

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
One thing you could have done through nova, (I missed it too) was to lock your desktop, that way all the launcher setting the desktop, by default can't be moved, deleted or changed. YOu actually have to hold down on an icon for a prompt to ask you that you want to change anything on the homescreen. I use it all the time, that way I don't shuffle my rows and columns of apps or dock icons. Just wondering, it might have had done the trick once your icons and folders had settled in.

That's true, I don't know why I didn't think of that haha. Now I am giving Apex a go, it seems the same as nova except some slight differences of the screen transitions - there are more to be put simply.

I also tried to transfer the Nova desktop to the Apex but for some reason when I did it all the icons got messed up and were just pictures of the Android.

I will give the desktop lock a go though.

thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad