Hey All, i'm a possible iphone to Android convert

GedByrne

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello

I've recently bought a couple of VERY cheap Android devices with the aim of developing my own realtime GPS tracker that I can use to track where my dogs are.

The main reason for this is that I recently lost them both at the summit of Snowdon and it took 4 days to get them both back. Thankfully they are safe and well!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow, it's good you got them back! As for the developing, I'm sure you'll find it much easier to develop for Android than for iOS (easier to get into your phone in any case hehe). That is one COOL application, BTW. Sort of like a LoJack for mutts :p

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. I'm glad to hear you were able to track down your dogs. Mans best friend indeed. :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Keep in mind that with Android, you often get what you paid for, so if the devices you bought were dirt cheap, don't be too surprised if they're a little unreliable or not that powerful. If you want to get serious about developing for Android, I suggest you get at least a good midrange phone.

And hey, even if there are some decent Lojack-type products for pets, there's always room for competition, right?

Posted via Android Central App

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello

I've recently bought a couple of VERY cheap Android devices with the aim of developing my own realtime GPS tracker that I can use to track where my dogs are.

The main reason for this is that I recently lost them both at the summit of Snowdon and it took 4 days to get them both back. Thankfully they are safe and well!!

Hello and welcome to the forums! :D

Your app sounds like a great idea, good luck! :thumbup::cool:

Sent From My Galaxy Tab 3

waynomo

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Keep in mind that with Android, you often get what you paid for, so if the devices you bought were dirt cheap, don't be too surprised if they're a little unreliable or not that powerful. If you want to get serious about developing for Android, I suggest you get at least a good midrange phone.

And hey, even if there are some decent Lojack-type products for pets, there's always room for competition, right?

I'm thinking the monthly charges will make this not practical for a phone. What's the least expensive plan these days for an added phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking the monthly charges will make this not practical for a phone. What's the least expensive plan these days for an added phone.

Not sure what you mean. I assume the OP wants to develop a tracking app for smartphones that can keep track of GPS transmitters that you can place on or in your dog (along the lines of the RFID microchips that are implanted). So what the dog owner would pay for would be the GPS transmitters, and assuming the owner already has a phone, he or she could simply install the tracking app.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Or he'll give each dog a phone and have them share their location via Google+ and start updating their status. "Eating the neighbor's flowers" :p

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The dogs will start posting photos of KitKat bars next to Android devices, and funny cat videos.

CatSoft

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
GPS burns through battery rather more quickly than you might want, especially if it's using satellite only at any sort of polling frequency. Depending on how you propose to transmit that information, you'd better hope your dogs never get out of cell phone range.

A good starting point for Android GPS development is already on Github:

https://github.com/mendhak/gpslogger

That's another great thing about Android, so much of what you need is already available in github. I'd recommend you download IntelliJ's IDE to get the GPSLogger up and running immediately.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you mean. I assume the OP wants to develop a tracking app for smartphones that can keep track of GPS transmitters that you can place on or in your dog (along the lines of the RFID microchips that are implanted). So what the dog owner would pay for would be the GPS transmitters, and assuming the owner already has a phone, he or she could simply install the tracking app.

That's what I think. :thumbup::cool:

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

waynomo

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

That's what I think. :thumbup::cool:
I don't think that. :thumbdown:

While I would agree that makes the most sense, I don't get that from the OP. To me he is say he bought a couple of phones for his dogs and wants to have a phone on each of them.
I'm not trying to figure out what makes the most sense from a development standpoint. I'm just trying to interpret the OP.
If indeed he plans to proceed in the fashion you suggest then he wasn't very clear in his post which is the bottom line. I guess we'll wait for him to clarify.
I do think what you all state makes the most sense.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You may be right, that may be how he wants to start off developing his idea. But my guess is that a fully realized system would involve only a GPS transmitter on the dog, not an entire smartphone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1