New Android forum member - need some guidance!

gavincinema

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone - I've been looking for a site that would be helpful to me as I'm new-ish to Android and hope you guys and gals can help me. I did own a Motorola Xoom a fair few years ago but couldn't get to grips with it plus I had a slow internet connection!

I am now interested again in getting a tablet and would like to know out of the following 13.3 tablets (need the size because I watch a lot of films on my mum's laptop) which, in your opinion, are the ones I should consider looking at more closely i.e.for build quality, audio, etc . If you currently own one of them - great, if you don't, any advice generally really would be appreciated.

The models I have found are that are available to purchase in the UK are:

@Tab THIRTEEN.3 (also known as Versus?) COLORFLY CT132 13.3 HANNspree SN14T71 Gemini Q13 ARCHOS FamilyPad2 ARNOVA FamilyPad

Ok, now I have a bit of a technical question - if this should be posted on another thread, I apologise but wanted to keep everything together!

As mentioned previously, I watch a lot of films (via streaming sites) using Google Chrome with an extension from the Chrome Store called ZenMate. I use a certain ISP that has banned these sites but the Zenmate extension works around this. Can I somehow, when I purchase my tablet get that extension if I've installed the Chrome browser, or, if that is not feasible, are there other workarounds that you may know of - maybe Android apps that more or less do the same, alternative browsers that support Flash, etc? There is really only one film streaming website that I use and I want to be sure that it, and maybe other sites too will work. I won't be naughty and say which site because I could get banned from the forum, let's just say it's a very popular site that ends in '.ag'

Hope to have some helpful replies from you :)

Thanks,

Gavin.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what to suggest as this is not something that I know how to do. Sorry.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Chrome extensions for desktop Chrome don't work for mobile Chrome, so you'd have to find some other workaround.

As for the tablets you mentioned, I'm not familiar with them, but here are some thoughts after looking at their specs:

@tab Thirteen.3
Dual core
Android 4.1
1280x800
1 GB RAM, 16 GB ROM--decent, don't get anything under 16 GB ROM
"Up to 6 hour battery life"? I assume this means 6 hours of screen time, because if it's standby, that's terrible.
Mini HDMI out, microSD slot, microUSB
Wt 1.3 kg--almost 3 pounds, pretty heavy

Colorfly CT132
Quad core
Android 4.1
1280x800
2 GB RAM, 16 GB ROM (looks like a typo on the Amazon site)
smaller battery than @tab, but reports up to 8 hours of use
Wt 1.12 kg, also pretty heavy

HANNspree SN14T71
Quad core
Android 4.2.2--important, because these devices are unlikely to get a lot of system updates
1280x800
1 GB RAM, 16 GB ROM
even smaller battery, reports ">5 hrs of use," which probably means 5 hours and 1 second.
Wt 1.2 kg

Gemini Q13
Quad core
Android 4.2 (doesn't say if it's 4.2.2)
1280x800
2 GB RAM, 16 GB ROM
Doesn't specify estimated battery life on one charge
HDMI, microSD, microUSB
Doesn't specify wt

Archos FamilyPad2
Dual core
Android 4.1
1280x800
1 GB RAM, 8 GB ROM--too little
Battery life--10 hrs video playback
miniHDMI, microSD, microUSB
1.3 kg

Overall, a tough decision, because none of these makers is that well-known, which means not as good support, and unclear quality control. I'd probably go with the Hannspree, because they have a decent reputation for monitors and other electronics. Plus, it has Android 4.2.2. My only reservation for that one would be the battery life doesn't seem that great.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol