Hi! New to Android, finally jumping up to a smart phone

markag6

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi there. I'm a new forum member. I just signed on with Verizon and got a Galaxy Note 3. It is at my house waiting for me to get home from work. My wife also got an LG G2. These are our first smart phones. I know, we are late to the game, but we didn't want to pay for data before now. Anyway... A little about me:

I'm 26 years old. I am married and my wife and I have one daughter that is 17 months old. We have a second daughter on the way, due in May. I work as a manufacturing engineer in the heavy equipment industry. I am into cars, technology, photography, and tinkering on things. I build my own computers, which is lots of fun. I play video games. I play trumpet and play in a local big band in the Peoria, IL area.

These are our first smart phones. We have resisted the urge to go with smart phones mainly because we didn't want to afford any of the data plans. Plus, we had an iPod touch, a netbook, laptops, etc. so we really weren't missing out on much at home in the way of staying connected. We were sprint customers, but the coverage was terrible in our area. We switched to Verizon and finally joined the 21st century with smartphones ;) Our previous phones were slider messaging phones that were utter pieces of crap. I will be glad to see them go.

I am completely new to Android, so I have a lot to figure out. I am familiar with iphone OS just because of my out of date ipod touch, but I am by no means an iphone fanboy. I'll have a lot to figure out when it comes to Android. It sounds like Android is way more customizable and has way more options then a iOS. I'm looking forward to my note 3 and all the possibilities that the s-pen and large screen will give me.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

You both got some great phones in the Note 3 and LG G2.

Look around, ask questions and enjoy the forums !

Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Welcome! As Paul said, you two have a great set of devices. The forums are full of helpful information and tips, but feel free to reach out if there's anything we can help with. :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! Let us know if you have any questions or if you would like recommendations on Apps for certain services :)

markag6

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys for the responses.

I got the note 3 primarly because of the possibilities it gives me for work. That, and it is one of the fastest phones out there right now.

I work completely with new products at work, so I deal a lot with prototype builds and getting new tooling and equipment up and running on assembly lines. Our company does not provide company phones, they expect us to use personal phones instead. I'm hoping I can use the Note 3 to replace my camera and notepad when I'm out on the shop floor. I can take a picture of an issue and circle or jot a quick note down. Or if I'm following a new product, I could write down any issue we have on the phone and have access to them later. Right now, I carry a digital camera, a laptop, and a physical notepad on the line with me. I'm hoping to get rid of the notepad and camera and replace them with my phone.

The larger screen will be nice for browsing the internet and watching videos. I don't game all that much on my phone, I've got game consoles and a PC for that. I know how hard it is to browse on my tiny 2nd gen ipod touch, this screen is a lot bigger then that. Should be much easier on the eyes.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I got the note 3 primarly because of the possibilities it gives me for work. That, and it is one of the fastest phones out there right now.

I work completely with new products at work, so I deal a lot with prototype builds and getting new tooling and equipment up and running on assembly lines. Our company does not provide company phones, they expect us to use personal phones instead. I'm hoping I can use the Note 3 to replace my camera and notepad when I'm out on the shop floor. I can take a picture of an issue and circle or jot a quick note down. Or if I'm following a new product, I could write down any issue we have on the phone and have access to them later. Right now, I carry a digital camera, a laptop, and a physical notepad on the line with me. I'm hoping to get rid of the notepad and camera and replace them with my phone.

The larger screen will be nice for browsing the internet and watching videos. I don't game all that much on my phone, I've got game consoles and a PC for that. I know how hard it is to browse on my tiny 2nd gen ipod touch, this screen is a lot bigger then that. Should be much easier on the eyes.

Sounds like the Note 3 was the best fit for you :)
Lots of note taking options and the S-Pen. Plus one of the best cameras on a phone at the momebt

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

If you are planning to use the note 3 in an industrial environment, consider getting a heavy duty case like the otterbox defender or Trident Kraken ams.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi there. I'm a new forum member. I just signed on with Verizon and got a Galaxy Note 3. It is at my house waiting for me to get home from work. My wife also got an LG G2. These are our first smart phones. I know, we are late to the game, but we didn't want to pay for data before now. Anyway... A little about me:

I'm 26 years old. I am married and my wife and I have one daughter that is 17 months old. We have a second daughter on the way, due in May. I work as a manufacturing engineer in the heavy equipment industry. I am into cars, technology, photography, and tinkering on things. I build my own computers, which is lots of fun. I play video games. I play trumpet and play in a local big band in the Peoria, IL area.

These are our first smart phones. We have resisted the urge to go with smart phones mainly because we didn't want to afford any of the data plans. Plus, we had an iPod touch, a netbook, laptops, etc. so we really weren't missing out on much at home in the way of staying connected. We were sprint customers, but the coverage was terrible in our area. We switched to Verizon and finally joined the 21st century with smartphones ;) Our previous phones were slider messaging phones that were utter pieces of crap. I will be glad to see them go.

I am completely new to Android, so I have a lot to figure out. I am familiar with iphone OS just because of my out of date ipod touch, but I am by no means an iphone fanboy. I'll have a lot to figure out when it comes to Android. It sounds like Android is way more customizable and has way more options then a iOS. I'm looking forward to my note 3 and all the possibilities that the s-pen and large screen will give me.

Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you here. I see you have a 2006 ish Mustang GT as an avatar. Sweet ride...

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

markag6

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you here. I see you have a 2006 ish Mustang GT as an avatar. Sweet ride...

It's actually a 2008 Mustang GT. I got it used 2 years ago. I'm hoping to keep it forever. Done some small mods to it, but I have big plans for it long term. Right now I've got a custom tune and a cold air intake. Also have lower control arms for the rear axle to help reduce wheel hop. I've new rear end gears waiting to go in, and I have katzkin interior (from a contest I won at Christmas time).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's actually a 2008 Mustang GT. I got it used 2 years ago. I'm hoping to keep it forever. Done some small mods to it, but I have big plans for it long term. Right now I've got a custom tune and a cold air intake. Also have lower control arms for the rear axle to help reduce wheel hop. I've new rear end gears waiting to go in, and I have katzkin interior (from a contest I won at Christmas time).

How much HP you have?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Sounds like the Note 3 was the best fit for you :)
Lots of note taking options and the S-Pen. Plus one of the best cameras on a phone at the momebt

I agree...looks like the Note 3 was a good choice for what the OP plans on using it for :)

markag6

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I've never dynoed the car, but I would estimate about 300 BP to the wheels with the custom tune and intake. I've got custom exhaust too, but that really only changes the sound.

Anyway... I'm playing with my note 3 now. Loving it so far, but I've got a lot to learn with it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've never dynoed the car, but I would estimate about 300 BP to the wheels with the custom tune and intake. I've got custom exhaust too, but that really only changes the sound.

Anyway... I'm playing with my note 3 now. Loving it so far, but I've got a lot to learn with it.

Let us know if you have any questions :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Did you mean 300whp? Bhp refers to hp at the flywheel

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

markag6

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
The only thing right now is how to add lock screen widgets and how to move the widgets around that are already on the home screens.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The only thing right now is how to add lock screen widgets and how to move the widgets around that are already on the home screens.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Tap and hold the widgets to move them.
In settings, there is an option to add lockscreen widgets.