First TIme Android User - Need Help Upgrading to KitKat

Doggerz

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've never owned a smartphone other than BlackBerry's - so this is new to me. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2
Currently running Android Version 4.1.2
I'd like to do a fresh install of KitKat

Is there some step by step guide to do this?
Did some searching, someone mentioned rooting the device.
Is there a place where I can follow step by step how to do that (if that is what is needed)
And then proceed to install KitKat?

Thank you so much.

Doggerz

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Chex313 - I don't know if I need it, I just figured it would be best to start with the latest OS? I'll give your link a shot :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Chex313 - I don't know if I need it, I just figured it would be best to start with the latest OS? I'll give your link a shot :)

Welcome to the forums.
Basic steps would be: Root, flash custom recovery, flash custom ROM like Cyanogen.

Be advised: Always follow rooting instructions and ROMs for your EXACT model number.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! Let us know if you have any questions!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I agree with Golfdriver.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What version of the S2 do you have?

-Wizzrah, Android Central Ambassador | Sent from my AT&T HTC One X running CodefireX 4.4.2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Basic steps would be: Root, flash custom recovery, flash custom ROM like Cyanogen.

Be advised: Always follow rooting instructions and ROMs for your EXACT model number.

Good instructions, and welcome to Android Central!

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Doggerz

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome, It's a little scary making a transition to a new platform. You guys are great.
Took me a long time to be knowledgeable about BB10 and how to load things not available from the carrier and all the little tricks and stuff - so its like starting all over from the very bottom again, so I really appreciate the kindness of everyone who took the time to say hi.

I'm going to try finding my exact model number and doing what Golfdriver said to do. I'll reply back when I've successfully made it to KitKat :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome, It's a little scary making a transition to a new platform. You guys are great.
Took me a long time to be knowledgeable about BB10 and how to load things not available from the carrier and all the little tricks and stuff - so its like starting all over from the very bottom again, so I really appreciate the kindness of everyone who took the time to say hi.

I'm going to try finding my exact model number and doing what Golfdriver said to do. I'll reply back when I've successfully made it to KitKat :)

Before you flash a KK ROM in your custom recovery, make a nandroid backup. That way you have something to restore if anything goes wrong

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Doggerz

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Ok wanted you guys to know I rooted my device and installed a KitKat Rom. Two actually. The first was called Hell Kat and it was just a little too bright for me. I wanted something to star with that might look as close to what Samsung might release. So I tried CM11. I think I'm ok with that. :)

So many possibilities to do with this phone. And I know it's an old model.

I am enjoying playing games with my BlackBerry Z30 which has a 5 inch screen. I am really considering a Galaxy Note 3 - but thought I'd ask you guys if there are any 5 inch android phones to also consider. The Note is quite a bit bigger which might be nice but just was wondering if another company other than Samsung might have a model worth considering.?

Thanks again for helping a total newbie root and installed a new Rom on day 1.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok wanted you guys to know I rooted my device and installed a KitKat Rom. Two actually. The first was called Hell Kat and it was just a little too bright for me. I wanted something to star with that might look as close to what Samsung might release. So I tried CM11. I think I'm ok with that. :)

So many possibilities to do with this phone. And I know it's an old model.

I am enjoying playing games with my BlackBerry Z30 which has a 5 inch screen. I am really considering a Galaxy Note 3 - but thought I'd ask you guys if there are any 5 inch android phones to also consider. The Note is quite a bit bigger which might be nice but just was wondering if another company other than Samsung might have a model worth considering.?

Thanks again for helping a total newbie root and installed a new Rom on day 1.

Posted via Android Central App

5 inch seems to be the spot that many OEMs shot for. There is the HTC One M7 and M8, Galaxy S5, Nexus 5, LG G2 and the 3 is probably going to be about that big, the Sony Xperia Z2...and I think we are barely scratching the surface.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2