Hello to my new community!

Lilrockerdude

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello to AndroidCentral!!! I just moved over from PreCentral(although I still have a Palm Pre until Tuesday, in which time I will have the new EVOShift :cool:. Any who just wanted to say hi and throw a few quick questions(although I doubt anyone is awake cause tomorrow is Monday and its almost 12:30 my time) but here we go.

#1 Brand new phone and not much out there yet, anyone know where I can find some cases for my EVOShift. Not to go too picky but I do have friends that like to play around with my phone and lets just say they aren't the most careful sometimes. So I need something Rugged example:Amazon.com: Seidio Innocase Active Case for HTC EVO 4G - Limited Edition: Cell Phones & Accessories

#2 I know the Palm Pre and Pixi used Homebrew where I could get more apps, different theme etc. so I was wondering(and I know its out there) is there a way to change up my themes, put some custom firmware, I do believe this is called rooting on the Android line but would like some clarification on this.

#3 I know there is over 100,000 apps out there(compared to the 5000 I'm leaving on the Pre) and I wont be able to hit them all at once so what are some basic to essential apps that I need to get? Just wanna know what your top 10 or so is

Finally #4 To anyone who has an EVOShift how do you like it right now and is anyone coming off the Palm line to the Shift?

Thanks to anyone and everyone that gets to read and reply to this and hope to get a few replies

Goodnight to all-
Matthew aka Lilrockerdude:cool:

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I just left the Pre for the Evo. Welcome to AC.

I recommend a different email app, like K9 and Handcent for text.

Posted from my eVo!

kalel3038

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Dont use Android Central that mUch but...

to answer your questions about the changing themes.. custom firmware....yeah its pretty much called rooting your phone it can be a long process at first but usually it comes to the point of something they call one clickroot and i believe unrevoked will be taking care of that so maybe keep on eye on that... depending on the development speed of the phone...usually htc developing goes by pretty quick i recommend going to xda once the phone comes out, but android central does pretty good in keeping up on the news of developing...now on the apps advice that just way to long of a list so have fun and good luck!!!!

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Lilrockerdude.
Welcome to Android Central..and to your new addiction. You have pretty much answered most of your questions. (Lol). Check Amazon.com for the cheapest price for your phone accessories.

There is the Android market for your apps(Over 200.000)

Rooting isn't necessary yet, until you figure out the full capability of your phone.

All your questions and more can be answered as you get to learn more about your phone. The EVO shift is popular amongst members here, and it is a very interested phone.

Read up on the pros and cons of rooting your phone. Understand why It's you wanna root, before attempting to do it.

Enjoy the forums.... and enjoy your new toy. :)