Thinking about getting an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Can't stand the Iphone.

I don't have a problem with the Iphone, i have a big problem with apple, and the way they do bussiness. And also with the way they try to beat the competition(can't beat them sue them over patents that shouldn't be patents in the first place)

Reactions: Jude526

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
3) Total lack of customization. I would prefer to be able to make widgets and organize my screens as I like.

-mcskipp

#3 is solved pretty much by jail breaking it, but even then Android is much more configurable. Best thing that happened to me recently was when my case containing my iPhone came off when I was traveling on the motorcycle during a 100 mile trip. Was able to get a RAZR MAXX and don't miss the iPhone at all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Mr_Trebus

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had iDevices for 3 years. Ditching iPhone 4 this time for first android. Wife has an android and I'm jealous. Never thought I would be as the iPhone was the dogs bits - however int has lost its crown I'm afraid.

The 4S being in essence so little different to the 4 capped it for me. :)

They are boring boring boring these days. Simple yes. They work, yes. Secure, yes. But he'll they're boring (iDevice users will get that joke!!)

I'll keep my iPad though. The bigger screen does bring iOS to life somewhat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kgirl808

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on what you're looking for. I just recently switched (not by choice but by personal reasons) my Rezound to my mom's iPhone 4s. Being a BB/Android veteran of 6 years it was tough for me to jump ships. I love customizations, rooting and overall freedom an Android phone gives me. A much larger screen and more free apps than what Apple has to offer. Well I kept an open mind instead of being stubborn the iPhone isn't as bad as I thought. Both Android and iPhones has their pros and cons. Best thing to do is go down to the store and play w/ the Android phone and the iPhone and see. I don't know about At&t, Sprint, or TMobile but Verizon offers the 14 day guarantee so if you're not happy w/ one phone you can always exchange it w/in the 14 days w/ a $35 restocking fee. Right now iPhones are only 3g so if you didn't have an unlimited plan before you can only get 2gb for $30. 4g phones will get 4gb for the $30 price.

I know there's rumors about the newest iPhone coming out w/ 4g and a much larger screen but its rumors for now.

soothslyr

May 26, 2012
Visit site
from someone who has only had iphones and is about to jump ship to android, i can tell you that they're not that bad (ducks from oncoming flung poo).

i have been an avid fan of jailbreaking, and maybe that is why. i can tell you that i love the stability of the OS, and how you can not really brick the device, no matter what you do to it (unless you're really too smart for your own good). to me what the real draw is, is the APPS!

i know that android has more apps, better customization, and ultimately better usability, but from what i have seen, and heard, they're apps aren't always optomized, and can end up just looking outright embarassing because of it.

ultimately, i think that android has tons of advantages over iOS, but that does not make iOS garbage, it just makes it different. to each their own. i like the hardware of the iphones, although i will admit that android phones are freaking beautiful, and pack a hell of a punch.

try it out, and see what you think. worst case scenario, you get a music player out of it. the best music player, actually :p (sorry, android, google music just isn't up to snuff... yet lol)

avt7tablet

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
As the line goes...... It just works........., but not always for that long. For those wanting to Max out/ customise a IOS...... have you heard of jail breaking.

If you pick a side & stick to it, your missing out. Windows has relied on ignorant users for decades, surely Android users are smarter than that. or maybe not.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
i mean the iphone doesnt suck. its just not as visual as android. Its for some people who dont like to think or need something simple. thats why you see a lot of old people with the iphone. i work at a 5star resort and all i see there is old people with iphones. Android is a way better experience. You dont have to click on the calendar, or click mail just to see it. you can put widgets. and that comes in handy . The iphone is just very basic any one can use it with out any knowledge. I let my friends see my nexus, they cant even turn it on lol. they just look so lost. im not an iphone hater. Android is getting better and better every day.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Android doesn't have more apps. Also, iOS apps are better designed. It little stuff that I notice in Android Apps that
makes me sell every Android device I've had and return to the iPhone. The whole iOS operating system is way more polished. The scrolling and like things like all apps menus matching the iOS menus is what I'm talking about. It seems like 100s of people work on Android and then at the end they put it together. Some menus have buttons in different locations and some the select or scroll the same.

Last edited:

bnceo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm going iPhone this Fall. Android was nice, but too many things drove me nuts. Lack of ICS for 1/2 a year, not easy way to use with my Samsung TVs. Honestly, I want a full experience and with the iPhone getting a little bigger, it will ease the one thing that bothered me, which was the small size.

kgirl808

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
i mean the iphone doesnt suck. its just not as visual as android. Its for some people who dont like to think or need something simple. thats why you see a lot of old people with the iphone. i work at a 5star resort and all i see there is old people with iphones. Android is a way better experience. You dont have to click on the calendar, or click mail just to see it. you can put widgets. and that comes in handy . The iphone is just very basic any one can use it with out any knowledge. I let my friends see my nexus, they cant even turn it on lol. they just look so lost. im not an iphone hater. Android is getting better and better every day.

lol @ a lot of old people! Sorry had to laugh @ that. It all depends on what a person YOUNG or OLD wants ;) I have tons of young and older friends who have iPhones.

OlympianEye

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I came over to Android from an iPhone 5. I tried using a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and thought that Android was "almost there" compared to the iPhone. Now that I have the GSIII I can honestly say that they have surpassed the iPhone and left it far behind. It is just better, PERIOD.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a nexus 4 right now, I would take any oppurtunity right now to return to my iPhone 5. Why? because of the look and polish of the apps the new mailbox app is just freaking incredible, the stock mail app looks so beautiful,little things like scroll bounce bring a lot to the table I know these arent big features or anything but polish and looks/asthetics are pretty important to me. and that thing about customisation? yeah its useful but overblown.

As a conclusion I really like Android for what it is but iOS is far more polished in my opinion so next year I will be picking up an iPhone 5S.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
As a conclusion I really like Android for what it is but iOS is far more polished in my opinion so next year I will be picking up an iPhone 5S.

Personally the only features from iOS (and my iPhone 5) that I really like are:
-iCloud for backing up App Data, Call Logs & SMS
-GLOBAL Badge Notifications

However, with Carbon backing up is almost as good as on iOS.
And as for GLOBAL Badge Notifications, even that's now possible--> http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=199709

So while I too will be picking up a 5S, I'm pretty confident it won't be replacing my Nexus 5 unless they introduce customization into iDevices.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Uselessbass

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't miss a dam thing about iOS I feel crippled on it I still have my wife's 4s that she uses daily and I have 2 old iPhone 4 's laying around still the kids play with those but now that I know how much greener it is on the android pasture I'm not leaving lol running custom roms and all the customization I can do on android is my favorite things about it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Personally the only features from iOS (and my iPhone 5) that I really like are:
-iCloud for backing up App Data, Call Logs & SMS
-GLOBAL Badge Notifications

However, with Carbon backing up is almost as good as on iOS.
And as for GLOBAL Badge Notifications, even that's now possible--> http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=199709

So while I too will be picking up a 5S, I'm pretty confident it won't be replacing my Nexus 5 unless they introduce customization into iDevices.

I've started to use only holo based apps and they are pretty good,but the 5S will still be my daily driver, of couse I will keep the nexus 4 to stay up to date with Android. oh and i don't like that i had to download tesla unread plugin for badges, i guess i just want it to be all set up to me.

SiriusXM

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I've own an iphone. It's terrible compared to the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I've own an iphone. It's terrible compared to the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2.

Depends on how you use your device. From a productivity "get work done" point of view as long as you don't have any esoteric needs Windows Phone is better than Android and iOS is clearly better.

Customization is nice up front but it's a worthless metric to measure device usability if you choose a device based on your actually usage demands. All this superfluous tech in my Android device (NFC, WiFi Direct, Widgets (which use disparate UI themes [even Google's own] leading to messy home screens, so I never use them), extra home screens, etc.) in hindsight I can total do without and certainly don't *need* at all.

Outside of Mail and Maps, Google's services aren't anything to write home about either (and if you don't use an OS with a 1st party Gmail or Maps app, even those are typically a worse user experience than the stock services).

tennockey

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I personally wouldn't rock an Apple product but I've bought a few for my wife. Frankly, the way I see it is if you want something that just works, go Apple.

I prefer Android's versatility and the choice offered by its manufacturers, but it does need some more babysitting and research to get the max out of an Android device. Of course, for my needs, the max of an iOS product is not enough, while the max of an Android product is much more satisfying :D

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Perfectly stated. Agree 100% went from an iPhone 4s to a gs3 to an N4. Love it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678