Thinking about getting an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't like Apple, never owned their product and the reason I don't like them is they have been stealing ideas and and sing others since they started business.

Oh and superior apps, nope, no one has all superior apps. My sister has some great apps I can't get and I have just as many great apps she can't get. Most of the paid apps that we can both get are cheaper in the Play Store.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

SiriusXM

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok how about you go to any at&t, Verizon or best buy store and sample the phones and come back and let us know which one you like better iphone 5 or Galaxy S3/Note 2.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had about 10 android phones over the past few years and also owned a iphone 4. Really loved the fact that the iPhone really needed no adjusting like u see with android turn sync off turn maps location off and all that. It was a great device smooth and great battery life everything seemed a little smoother transitions opening apps up scrolling it was very nice. I'm not going to say don't get an iPhone because its all personal preference. We are all in the same smartphone world here. The iPhone does things better than android. And android does things better than iPhone. Find out what u want in a smartphone and decide what smartphone fits those needs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sconrad308

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm very fortunate to have owned and used most phone OS's. I started with a blackberry which I really like. Then I moved to android which was pretty good, at that time. After being on Android for a couple of years I switched to an iPhone 3GS but couldn't stand it. I returned it after about 3 weeks or so and went back to android. Next I went to a Nokia and Symbian which was pretty good, nothing great but better to me than iOS. I then decided to move on to Windows Phone 7.5 which was really nice. It quickly became my favorite OS. After a while my phone started to have problems and I had been playing with a cheap android tablet running ICS and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was, so I decided to come back to android. I'm running a GNex running 4.2.2 and this thing is SLICK. I'm impressed at how much android has improved since the days of donut and eclair.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't like Apple, never owned their product and the reason I don't like them is they have been stealing ideas and and sing others since they started business.

Oh and superior apps, nope, no one has all superior apps. My sister has some great apps I can't get and I have just as many great apps she can't get. Most of the paid apps that we can both get are cheaper in the Play Store.

The Gmail and Maps app on iOS are superior to what's on Android. The Android Maps app still looks like it's coded for GB in many areas. Google developers even pretty much conceded that in some statements they made shortly after Maps released on iOS. If your phone is not on JB then Google Search on iOS is superior, as well.

Camera+ on iOS is better than almost any 3rd party camera app on Android (and better than most stock camera apps as well). The fact that Android has 40 3rd party camera apps doesn't matter - they're practically all worse than that one iOS app.

Same goes for iWorks. It's better than practically all the Office Suites on Android - though OfficeSuite Pro 7 comes close with its support for the biggest Cloud Services and revamped User Interface (and practically flawless PDF reader, thanks to Adobe Libraries), QuickOffice is terrible and Documents to Go is barely supported.

The best 3rd party iOS twitter clients in some cases do not make it to Android. Where is Tweetbot? Facebook and Facebook Messenger on iOS are better than their Android counterparts. Even Google is releasing apps on iOS that has yet to make it over to Android (YouTube Camera, for example).

All the better IM clients like Beejive and Trillian are on iOS, work better on iOS, and are better supported on iOS.

Where is the $0.99 Ad-Free Words with Friends for Android? It doesn't exist. Have you used the Android version period? It simply doesn't compare.

There are barely any apps on Android where iOS doesn't either have that same app or have something else that is clearly superior to it. Developers on that platform are willing to put in the time and effort to make great apps because people actually pay for them, in much higher numbers than on Android (which still lags ridiculously behind Apple despite having a ton more users in App Store income). WhatsApp is just getting a Holo UI version in Beta. How long ago was ICS released, again?

If Apps are a big deal, the iPhone is clearly better. IMO, the main strength of Android is being an early adopter of new technology. Because of the way the Android hardware ecosystem is set up, OEMs are forced to adopt these technologies quickly in the fight to differentiate themselves from competing OEMs. So things like BT 3.0 +HS, WiFi Direct, DLNA, NFC, WiFi Tethering (actually that was on the HD2 before any (I think) Android Phones, but I digress), Higher Resolution Screens, HDMI output, etc. tended to come to Android before iOS.

If you can care less about that (I practically use barely any of that except the screen on phones I've owned that had HD screens), then Android devices suddenly stop looking so attractive, and you realize you were buying into the hardware moreso than the actual OS or services ecosystem.

Opinions don't change the facts, so asking for opinions on whether you should switch is fundamentally a worthless thing to do. Only way to make that decision is to use both devices for a decent span of time. This is why I used to have 2 active smartphone lines with data plans when I had T-Mobile. So that I could have two completely different devices and could come to serious decisions on which I wanted to use (SIM Swapping made that easy).

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The Gmail and Maps app on iOS are superior to what's on Android. The Android Maps app still looks like it's coded for GB in many areas. Google developers even pretty much conceded that in some statements they made shortly after Maps released on iOS. If your phone is not on JB then Google Search on iOS is superior, as well.

Camera+ on iOS is better than almost any 3rd party camera app on Android (and better than most stock camera apps as well). The fact that Android has 40 3rd party camera apps doesn't matter - they're practically all worse than that one iOS app. Same goes for iWorks. It's better than practically all the Office Suites on Android.

The best 3rd party iOS twitter clients in some cases do not make it to Android. Where is Tweetbot? Facebook and Facebook Messenger on iOS are better than their Android counterparts. Even Google is releasing apps on iOS that has yet to make it over to Android (YouTube Camera, for example).

Where is the $0.99 Ad-Free Words with Friends for Android? It doesn't exist. Have you used the Android version period? It simply doesn't compare.

There are barely any apps on Android that iOS doesn't either have that same app or have something else that is clearly superior to it. Developers on that platform are willing to put in the time and effort to make great apps because people actually pay for them, in much higher numbers than on Android (which still lags ridiculously behind Apple despite having a ton more users in App Store income).

If Apps are a big deal, the iPhone is clearly better. IMO, the main strength of Android is being an early adopter of new technology. Because of the way the Android hardware ecosystem is set up, OEMs are forced to adopt these technologies quickly in the fight to differentiate themselves from competing OEMs. So things like BT 3.0 +HS, WiFi Direct, DLNA, NFC, WiFi Tethering (actually that was on the HD2 before any Android Phones, but I digress), Higher Resolution Screens, HDMI output, etc. tend to come to Android before iOS.

If you can care less about that, then Android devices suddenly stop looking so attractive.

Back around the 2010/2011 timeframe I was real big into having the latest and greatest, and having all the new hardware features ASAP, but since I've slowed down following all this stuff and shifted my mobile use to more productivity-type tasks I've not felt a need to even consider the latest Android handsets because even a late 2011 flagship blows through most of what the average user needs to do, anyways... At that point the quality of Apps, App Support, Cross-Form Factor Interoperability, Standardized Synching/Backup Solution, Desktop OS Interoperability, and having a non-chaotic services ecosystem becomes a big deal and Apple does win over Google in all those categories.

Not gonna say you're wrong but I find that i disagree with a few things that you said.

1) App quality is just as good on Android as it is on iOS. At least it has been for me, hell many apps I used on iOS didn't work well for me, it was kind of annoying but that's more the developers fault than the OS's.
2) It's not really a blow against Android that Google apps work better on iOS (though they work perfectly fine for me on Android and that's enough) it's a known fact Google doesn't make any money off Android anyway so they're not gonna be biased against its competition. That's just good business.
3) Honestly if you're gonna judge what phone is better based on their camera then just don't use it and get a DSLR instead. (That's just my view on it though since I do own one.) The camera on my Nexus 10 is a blast to play around with though and it's great quality.

That's just a few of my views on your post. Again, you're not wrong that's just your opinion and others feel differently. Though there are a few things you mentioned that iOS does do better.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Lol Hardly.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.
What about tweetbot, infinity blade 1/2,camera+,mailbox(best mail client )
I of course respect your opinion on this mater but I in my experince find iOS apps with better UI's one thing i do love about my Nexus 4 is the onscreen buttons and I wish the iPhone had that.

Last edited:

teerone

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I have an Iphone 5 its okay but its just Soooooo held back. My nexus 4 is much more pleasant to use for me.

Just my 2cents.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Camera+ on iOS is better than almost any 3rd party camera app on Android (and better than most stock camera apps as well). The fact that Android has 40 3rd party camera apps doesn't matter - they're practically all worse than that one iOS app.

Same goes for iWorks. It's better than practically all the Office Suites on Android - though OfficeSuite Pro 7 comes close with its support for the biggest Cloud Services and revamped User Interface (and practically flawless PDF reader, thanks to Adobe Libraries), QuickOffice is terrible and Documents to Go is barely supported.

All the better IM clients like Beejive and Trillian are on iOS, work better on iOS, and are better supported on iOS.

There are barely any apps on Android where iOS doesn't either have that same app or have something else that is clearly superior to it. Developers on that platform are willing to put in the time and effort to make great apps because people actually pay for them, in much higher numbers than on Android (which still lags ridiculously behind Apple despite having a ton more users in App Store income). WhatsApp is just getting a Holo UI version in Beta. How long ago was ICS released, again?

If Apps are a big deal, the iPhone is clearly better. IMO, the main strength of Android is being an early adopter of new technology. Because of the way the Android hardware ecosystem is set up, OEMs are forced to adopt these technologies quickly in the fight to differentiate themselves from competing OEMs. So things like BT 3.0 +HS, WiFi Direct, DLNA, NFC, WiFi Tethering (actually that was on the HD2 before any (I think) Android Phones, but I digress), Higher Resolution Screens, HDMI output, etc. tended to come to Android before iOS.

If you can care less about that (I practically use barely any of that except the screen on phones I've owned that had HD screens), then Android devices suddenly stop looking so attractive, and you realize you were buying into the hardware moreso than the actual OS or services ecosystem.

Opinions don't change the facts, so asking for opinions on whether you should switch is fundamentally a worthless thing to do. Only way to make that decision is to use both devices for a decent span of time. This is why I used to have 2 active smartphone lines with data plans when I had T-Mobile. So that I could have two completely different devices and could come to serious decisions on which I wanted to use (SIM Swapping made that easy).

Right, because those are the only apps out there..smh.

Funny iPhone is "superior" but Android is outselling it when it comes to world sells.

I could care less about what phone you want, does not affect me. My point was to someone complaining people aren't neutral when they clearly are not neutral.

Last edited:

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Right, because those are the only apps out there..smh.

Funny iPhone is "superior" but Android is outselling it when it comes to world sells.

I could care less about what phone you want, does not affect me. My point was to someone complain people aren't neutral when they clearly are not neutral.

I think its pretty amazing how their is 1 in iPhone and it sells so good. There are probably 20+ if not more different android handsets that have been released in the past 6 months so of course its going to outsell the iPhone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think its pretty amazing how their is 1 in iPhone and it sells so good. There are probably 20+ if not more different android handsets that have been released in the past 6 months so of course its going to outsell the iPhone.

Oh please, business 101 tells you it isn't about supply, it's about supply AND demand. Supply has not been and issue with either OS, so now it comes down to demand.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh please, business 101 tells you it isn't about supply, it's about supply AND demand. Supply has not been and issue with either OS, so now it comes down to demand.

Must of missed that course when I went to college. So u think if there were let's say 3 different iphones with different screen sizes and overall size that the iPhone wouldn't sell better than it does now? Its like saying hey wow look at that the whole Chevy car,truck,SUV, and van lineup outsold just the ford fusion. Its not very spectacular to me that 20+ android handsets outsell 1 iphone.

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Had the i5 about 5 times (switch phones constantly) and I can honestly say the note 2, s3, and nexus 4 are all better overall phones.

Sent from my Sammy S3

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Must of missed that course when I went to college. So u think if there were let's say 3 different iphones with different screen sizes and overall size that the iPhone wouldn't sell better than it does now? Its like saying hey wow look at that the whole Chevy car,truck,SUV, and van lineup outsold just the ford fusion. Its not very spectacular to me that 20+ android handsets outsell 1 iphone.

It's also common sense. If it is superior, doesn't matter how many others there are. iPhone used to outsell Android, what happened was people got tired of basically having the same look and feel with each new update and new phone released.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It's also common sense. If it is superior, doesn't matter how many others there are. iPhone used to outsell Android, what happened was people got tired of basically having the same look and feel with each new update and new phone released.

Not really. In the phone world there is a lot of ppl who don't always go for the best phone available. Do u always get the best specd phone or the phone that best fits your needs? I know people who like big screens so they would never consider anything under 4.8 screen no matter the specs. Also people who don't have the money or don't want to spend $200-$300 on an upgrade. U have tons of options like that with android which is why its no surprise to me that they outsell the iPhone. Its amazing people have one look one screen size to pick from and the iPhone still sells like hot cakes.
Just because u aren't tired of the same look and feel doesn't account for the millions of other people who love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.