iPhone 4 vs. EVO/Incredible/X/Captivate discussion (Keep it civil!)

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Apple does make nice solid hardware, no one can argue that. I will say though that my Evo has had no issues and feels as solid as any phone I ever held, more so than most actually. I cannot speak for others but mine is sold and feels well made.

Now to speed; you don't need more than 30FPS to move around the menus etc... That is not slowing it down.

Have you rebooted your Evo and then scrolled through the menus? It FLYS!!!

It is some apps hanging around in the background that slow any Android phone down. When mine gets a bit laggy I just fire up ATK and kill off some stuff manually and I am back to scrolling very fast. Android handles most programs very well but it is stil not perfect I am finding out.

The iPhone probably seems faster because nothing runs at the same time, well very little.

We can have programs keep running actually doing things in the background while iPhone apps usually freeze. They are basically task switching, not multitasking. Not that this is bad, just different and not as useful in my book. It works to the end user for the most part, and that is good, but some things will be limited due to this on the iPhone as some apps cannot keep running updating data or whatever.

Android apps are also supposed to freeze when they are not doing anything but some simply don’t, bad programming I guess.

I will take true multiasking anyday over task switching.

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what you guys are talking about, my EVO runs like a cheetah chasing a gazelle.

I agree, coming from the Pre then the Hero this phone is fast. I sit back and watch all the whiners and I just dont get it. I have but one minor complaint since I bought this phone on launch day, minimal lifting of the screen at the bottom. Other than that, the EVO is simply a GREAT phone!

Bob Sugar

May 31, 2010
Visit site
consider the source here people

gizmodo....

any recent events between apple and gizmodo ring a bell? yah credibility may be a tad lacking here lol

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
yah 600,000 preorders and sold out of stock in every single store, thats a bad first week.....

Exactly. Apple has, is, and will continue to do amazingly well. What is important for everyone in the Android to community to remember is that 160,000 Android devices are being activated EVERY DAY. Sure, Apple might sell a **** ton of phones when they launch the iPhone 4, but the other 11 months of the year Android will outsell the iPhone but a large margin.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I just merged 12 threads together. They all have a few things in common:

1) Most of them start out as "iPhone vs. <my device>"
2) and end up with a bunch of bickering.

If you are reading this thread and you see someone open a new iPhone 4 thread, please use the report post button to alert the mods, so we can close it or merge it with this one.

Thanks,

Cory

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Apple has, is, and will continue to do amazingly well. What is important for everyone in the Android to community to remember is that 160,000 Android devices are being activated EVERY DAY. Sure, Apple might sell a **** ton of phones when they launch the iPhone 4, but the other 11 months of the year Android will outsell the iPhone but a large margin.

Yeah, except for one major thing. Apple has two handsets; there are probably close to a hundred Android handsets being sold worldwide on every major carrier. Its an apples and oranges comparison. You can't compare one family of handsets consisting of two to a family consisting of at least 40 times that.

That being said, the pace of Apple's sales are going to only increase. Last quarter they sold 8.8 million iPhones, and that's with hardware that was on its way out. With upgrades for existing customers, and new customers, those numbers are only going to increase, despite the fact that there are only two models of the phone.

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
2. some of the questions were quite unfair to both iPhone and the android platform. for instance the iPhone is a device, and android is an operating system that encompasses many devices.

Personally I think it's a fair comparison (or at least close to fair). The iPhone and iOS are hand in hand. If you're talking about the iOS operating system, then you are talking about the iPhone, if you are talking about the iPhone then you are talking about iOS. And the iPhone is not one device, it is a family of devices all with the same name. Market share wise also, when surveys are done/shown it's based on operating system, not phone model. If you look at the fanbase, you have the people who love Apple's iPhones (there aren't web communities dedicated to iPhone 3Gs only for example) and you have people who love Android phones (again, I don't see huge communities dedicated to say JUST the HTC Evo, those are generally sub communities/forums part of the Android forums).

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I love my evo! I just think apple products are too limited! I will give them props tho if they never made an iphone all of our phones would still have buttons

Nope, I know Palm was making the Treos before the iPhone was even announced and they were touch screen smart phones.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia the first smartphone was made by IBM and was touch screen. It was released back in 1993.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(phone)
I'd argue iPhone only made the touchscreen more "cool".

Last edited: