Short review of the iPhone 5, coming from the Razr Maxx

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't be so dense. The carriers can't do anything to an iPhone without apple. Apple modifies the OS.

Anyhow, I have had enough of your obnoxiousness. On ignore list you go.

that's funny since I get carrier updates on my Verizon iphone from the carrier and not apple themselves. Don't speak of something you know nothing about. The carrier blocks it not Apple and that is 100% fact. There's a reason why you call the network to set up the hotspot feature and not apple.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Its funny when people say "biased" or "defensive"
to be honest Im sure most people have never owner every Iphone or android phone... (since every android manufacturer is different)

with that Said I have only owned android phones. (HTC and Samsung) I have never owned an apple product. I have messed with my close friends Iphone5, and we even battled it out.
I currently have a HTC one S. Its a good phone and almost a year old now. Yet it still hung with his phone.

and then I realized. I just want my phone to work, make phone calls, and text people.
its basically the decision of toyota camery = Iphone or suped up 454 big block camero = Android. (they both work but one is more customization than the other)

If I want my phone to look like an Iphone I can. With almost every aspect. but Iphones cannot look like android (mannerisms) the only thing they can do is (theme) jailbreak.
and for me... that is not enough.

I see no hard feelings. Thanks for your post. and good luck with your phone.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
that's funny since I get carrier updates on my Verizon iphone from the carrier and not apple themselves. Don't speak of something you know nothing about. The carrier blocks it not Apple and that is 100% fact. There's a reason why you call the network to set up the hotspot feature and not apple.

Thank you for the truth.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Then why can I tether ?

If you are on the old Verizon unlimited plan, you can't tether unless 1) you pay VZW for the hotspot option or 2) you jailbreak and install an app like TetherMe.

If you are on a shared data plan, then yes, mobile hotspot is enabled by default.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
If you are on the old Verizon unlimited plan, you can't tether unless 1) you pay VZW for the hotspot option or 2) you jailbreak and install an app like TetherMe.

If you are on a shared data plan, then yes, mobile hotspot is enabled by default.
I don't live in the US, my carrier doesnt care what I use my data for so it IS the carriers fault.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't live in the US, my carrier doesnt care what I use my data for so it IS the carriers fault.

In a sense, it can be construed as Apple's fault if they allow the carriers to mess around with their default settings. They are able to block telcos from installing their own bloatware, but apparently had to cave in when it came to features like tethering (got it a full 6 months after I got my ipad) and facetime (I can only surmise why it only worked over wireless when apps like viber and skype already work over 3g, and jailbreak proved that it wasn't due to any hardware limitations).

I guess Apple still doesn't have as much clout as they would have people believe.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
In a sense, it can be construed as Apple's fault if they allow the carriers to mess around with their default settings. They are able to block telcos from installing their own bloatware, but apparently had to cave in when it came to features like tethering (got it a full 6 months after I got my ipad) and facetime (I can only surmise why it only worked over wireless when apps like viber and skype already work over 3g, and jailbreak proved that it wasn't due to any hardware limitations).

I guess Apple still doesn't have as much clout as they would have people believe.

Maybe the US carriers are to controlling?

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the US carriers are to controlling?

They definitely have their own bottom line to think off. Since facetime was integrated right into the phone app (people are much more likely to think of going right into facetime via an incoming call than make a conscious decision to launch Skype), the likelihood of people making voice calls via facetime could be greater, which in turn threatened their calling/sms revenue.

Here, my iphone came with tethering, but thanks to a combination of slow speeds and crap coverage, I don't come anywhere near to busting the seemingly 'generous' 12gb limit my data plan came with (average 1gb / month). :mad:

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
They definitely have their own bottom line to think off. Since facetime was integrated right into the phone app (people are much more likely to think of going right into facetime via an incoming call than make a conscious decision to launch Skype), the likelihood of people making voice calls via facetime could be greater, which in turn threatened their calling/sms revenue.

Here, my iphone came with tethering, but thanks to a combination of slow speeds and crap coverage, I don't come anywhere near to busting the seemingly 'generous' 12gb limit my data plan came with (average 1gb / month). :mad:

Wow that's bad.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
You're leaving android? You were a strong defender of the OS as far as I've seen.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Well I'm conflicted. iOS is stupidly boring but it works better with my other Apple products. No I am staying with my N4, can't go back to iOS as my main device ever again.

Optid

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
My transition from the Razr Maxx to the iPhone 5

I crave change, so on February 25th I got an iPhone 5. This was my first Apple product. I?d never played with one, so I didn?t know what to expect.

First impressions are good. The build quality feels solid. The entire front is glass and gorgeous. The volume buttons feel very sturdy and responsive. I?ve heard complaints of the aluminum back plate being scratched easily, but as with anything if you take care of it, it will be fine. The speakers are clear and have good sound to be so small. The call quality is honestly better than the Maxx, people on the other end have no idea I?m on a cell phone when talking to them. The camera is impressive, front and rear. It doesn?t have a gazillion megapixel, but it takes high quality, beautiful pictures and videos.

This phone is light, lighter than the Maxx, and thin, thinner than the Maxx. It is tall and narrow, and fits very nicely in either hand for one handed use. I don?t have to contort or twist or hold it at an angle to hit any of the buttons on screen or hardware. It does not feel out of place in the pocket.

The battery is smaller of course, and coming from the Maxx is difficult to be honest. I do have to keep a charger nearby when at work or home. Nothing can touch the Maxx when it comes to this, but it is better than the Nexus, the iPhone lasts me an entire day regardless. On the same note, the charging cable is expensive, I won?t quote a price, but you don?t want to go generic, you want to go with Apple branded. One thing I do like about the charger is you don?t have to turn it one way or the other, it just plugs in regardless of being upside down or right-side up, awesome when it is dark and you?re trying not to wake your wife/husband by turning on a light.

The OS, I don?t know what to say. It is locked down. Apps are everywhere, you can put them into folders, but I believe you are limited to only 16 apps per folder. Not bad, helps keep the screen organized and I?m still getting used to it. The app store is awkward compared to the Play store, but the quality of the apps is amazing, everything just works. I like having one dedicated hard button to take me home, all back and settings are on screen in each app. Keeps things clean. It is fast, almost fluid like. Navigating is simple and smooth, with no lag time. Multitasking is easy and simple and reliable.

Overall I?m happy, it makes calls, it takes pictures, sends texts and receives emails. It?s solid, reliable and gorgeous. But customization is limited to ringtones and wallpapers. I think I?ve found my new home, for a while. I would recommend it to someone who wants something that just works.

I switched from the Maxx to the iPhone as well. It took a little getting used to but I have it jail broken so I haven't lost any features. The iPhone has been the best phone I've ever owned hands down. Everything just works like you said.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I switched from the Maxx to the iPhone as well. It took a little getting used to but I have it jail broken so I haven't lost any features. The iPhone has been the best phone I've ever owned hands down. Everything just works like you said.
I'm impressed ex Android users like iOS:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12