Anyone else sick of the iPhone?

mikec

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is it just me or does the mere sight of an iPhone make anyone else nauseous? It is so over advertised and everyone and there mother is gaga over it. Am I the only one insulted by the way the machine treats you like an idiot and apple and AT&T can't make up there mind on what you can or can't do on it. And apple's nazi-like control over the apps store, I mean come on. All the more reason for me to absolutely adore my G1.

Sick of the iPhone? Sure. And AT&T sucks. And Apple's Apps Store censoring is a pain.

However, definitely not sick of the iPod Touch. It's a great device, and if you tether to your 3G hotspot, it's great.

I miss multitasking, and the lock to iTunes sucks, but, they rest of the experience is pretty darn good. And the form factor rocks.

Until an Android device can do this as well as the iTouch, I'll be sticking with it. I tried and Archos 5 w/Android, and reallly, really wanted it to succeed, but's not there yet.

I expect 2010 will bring a bunch of Android devices, which is great. Competition is good.

androdave

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Totally sick of the iphone.
it was cool 1-3 years ago, now it is just close to stone age, the OS is so far behind compared to Android.
i can multi task on the android...i can't do that on the iPhone :\

i am just dying to see the day when Iphone sales plummet and everyone is using an Android powered device.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Totally sick of the iphone.
it was cool 1-3 years ago, now it is just close to stone age, the OS is so far behind compared to Android.
i can multi task on the android...i can't do that on the iPhone :\

i am just dying to see the day when Iphone sales plummet and everyone is using an Android powered device.

The OS is actually ahead in many areas over all other OS's. Does Android do some stuff better like notifications? Of course. They all have their pros and cons. Competition is a good thing.

And keep dreaming of iPhone sales taking a nose dive anytime soon. Just not going to happen.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
The OS is actually ahead in many areas over all other OS's. Does Android do some stuff better like notifications? Of course. They all have their pros and cons. Competition is a good thing.

And keep dreaming of iPhone sales taking a nose dive anytime soon. Just not going to happen.

Iphone OS ahead in many areas? Please explain, cause I don't see it. I had a 3g for a year and it was the biggest POS on the planet in terms of reliability. I had 3.0 on it as well. Constant app crashes, reboots, volume rising and falling on its own, etc. And after checking the forums, I wasn't the only one. IMO, the only thing iPhone OS has on Android is hype. Just the ability to easily multitask puts Android lightyears ahead IMO. I can't name a single advantage iPhone OS has over Android, not one. And don't say simplicity, cause that's the Apple marketing machine talking.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Iphone OS ahead in many areas? Please explain, cause I don't see it. I had a 3g for a year and it was the biggest POS on the planet in terms of reliability. I had 3.0 on it as well. Constant app crashes, reboots, volume rising and falling on its own, etc. And after checking the forums, I wasn't the only one. IMO, the only thing iPhone OS has on Android is hype. Just the ability to easily multitask puts Android lightyears ahead IMO. I can't name a single advantage iPhone OS has over Android, not one. And don't say simplicity, cause that's the Apple marketing machine talking.

Constant crashing? Sorry, fact is the iPhone OS is the most stable OS out there today, especially with the 3.1.2 software. Sounds like you had some issues but then again you were using a 3G on 3.0. Which would explain apps crashing. A lot of apps were simply not ready for 3.0 during the release of that software. How is that any different that what the Droid is going through now with Android 2.0? :rolleyes: Most of the bugs were worked out with 3.1 as they will with Android 2.1. Try a 3GS and tell me you can't see the difference in speed. No device comes close to the 3GS in terms of speed. Multimedia, applications are better, app store ecosystem, etc... No matter what you say, ease of use for a consumer device is huge regardless of what you think.

Multitasking = light years ahead? Bit of a stretch don't you think? Something Windows Mobile and Blackberry devices have done for a long time. So you're telling me those two operating systems are light years ahead of the iPhone OS? That's pretty amusing as those are two platforms that are really long in the tooth. Should Apple allow 3rd party app multitasking? Yes, they should let the consumer decide whether they want to take the battery hit while multitasking. While multitasking is nice it does have it's cons but the 3GS more than makes up for that with... I'll say it again, speed. I also do understand that may not enough for everyone out there.

Bottom line is my main device at the moment is a Motorola Droid but I still own an iPhone 3GS and use it often. Both are great but I find it humorous to see people dog the iPhone simply because it's a Apple product. Billions of people can't be wrong...

*Ah, now I understand the bitterness, you came from the Palm Pre... ;) (Just a joke...)

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Constant crashing? Sorry, fact is the iPhone OS is the most stable OS out there today, especially with the 3.1.2 software. Sounds like you had some issues but then again you were using a 3G on 3.0. Which would explain apps crashing.

Apps crashed before the 3.0 release and they continue to crash. I do read the apple forums. Apps crashing is one thing, but taking down the OS with them is another. When an app crashes on the Droid, I can force close. When it crashed on the iPhone, 8 ouf 10 times, I had to do a soft reset.

A lot of apps were simply not ready for 3.0 during the release of that software. How is that any different that what the Droid is going through now with Android 2.0? :rolleyes:

I've had the Droid for 3 weeks now, and while I've had to force close maybe a couple apps, I've NEVER had it reboot or the OS crash. Sorry even in its current state Android 2.0 is very stable, which is more than I can say for the iPhone. The people with rebooting droids more than likely have defective phones.

Try a 3GS and tell me you can't see the difference in speed. No device comes close to the 3GS in terms of speed. Multimedia, applications are better, app store ecosystem, etc...

I have played extensively with the 3Gs (coworker has one)and yes it is fast but no faster than the Droid. In fact I can switch between Apps quicker on the Droid. The only downside some people might have with the Droid is some aspects of the UI isn't smooth (web browser scrolling / switching home screens are 2 examples). It doesn't bother me and with Dolphin Browser I get to use pinch zoom and the scrolling is smoother than the stock browser. I'm sure they can fix these minor issues with updates.

Multimedia??? Sorry the Droid's screen is a lot crisper and movies / Games look better on it. Where I would agree with you is app / game availability and maturity which is understandable considering the head start Apple has had. But even so I've found many of the same or equivalent apps I had on the 3g so it's no where near as bad as some might make it out to be. Android's market is growing and is growing fast.

Multitasking = light years ahead? Bit of a stretch don't you think? Something Windows Mobile and Blackberry devices have done for a long time. So you're telling me those two operating systems are light years ahead of the iPhone OS?

In many ways yes, but I thought we were talking about Android? Bit of a stretch? Sorry but the ability to easily multitask and to have 3rd party apps run in the background greatly enhances the usability of any device. You can make all the excuses you want for the iPhone's shortcomings, it doesn't change that fact.

Those are two platforms that are really long in the tooth. Should Apple allow 3rd party app multitasking? Yes, they should let the consumer decide whether they want to take the battery hit while multitasking. While multitasking is nice it does have it's cons but the 3GS more than makes up for that with... I'll say it again, speed. If you have not used the device then you really have no first hand knowledge to comment or understand.

Please, spare me the battery lecture. Right now, a 3gs can hardly make it through the day with all the location services turned on and normal usage. I've seen the multitude of complaints all over the web and on the Apple forums. My coworker and several clients all complain about it. My Droid, even while mutitasking and with its location based services turned on, easily makes it through the work day with normal to heavy usage. Plus Droid users have the option of switching to a spare or extended (when they become available).

Bottom line is my main device at the moment is a Motorola Droid but I still own an iPhone 3GS and use it often. Both are great but I find it humorous to see people dog the iPhone simply because it's a Apple product. Billions of people can't be wrong...

*Ah, now I understand the bitterness, you came from the Palm Pre... ;)
Billions? hahaha, I doubt that.

Why do you have a Droid again? If nothing comes close to the 3gs I fail to see the reason for owning both these phones.

Anyway I don't dog the iPhone because it's an Apple product(hell I owned a 3g), I criticize it because I've seen and experienced many of its shortcomings which fanboys continually like to sweep under the rug.

Oh and I'll take WebOS over the crap that's on the iPhone any day of the week.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Let me first start off by saying I love the Droid and use it as my main device, I thought I made that clear but maybe I'm wrong. All I said about the Droid was that it has it's issues just like any new device or software. Either way, everyone that knows me here knows I love my Droid.

Apps crashed before the 3.0 release and they continue to crash. I do read the apple forums. Apps crashing is one thing, but taking down the OS with them is another. When an app crashes on the Droid, I can force close. When it crashed on the iPhone, 8 ouf 10 times, I had to do a soft reset.

So you don't have the device yet you continue to read iPhone forums, I spend time on iPhone forums too and apps crashing is not very common. That's not to say it does not have it's own set of issues. After all, there is no perfect phone out there. And 8 out of 10 times? That's exaggerated or you had a faulty device or were jailbroken.

I've had the Droid for 3 weeks now, and while I've had to force close maybe a couple apps, I've NEVER had it reboot or the OS crash. Sorry even in its current state Android 2.0 is very stable, which is more than I can say for the iPhone. The people with rebooting droids more than likely have defective phones.

I've had the 3GS since day one and not once, yes that's true, has it crashed to the point of resetting and I have about 80 apps on it. Android 2.0 is indeed a .0 release compared to a 1.2 release of the 3rd generation of iPhone software. You do the math. Perhaps you missed this.

I have played extensively with the 3Gs (coworker has one)and yes it is fast but no faster than the Droid. In fact I can switch between Apps quicker on the Droid. The only downside some people might have with the Droid is some aspects of the UI isn't smooth (web browser scrolling / switching home screens are 2 examples). It doesn't bother me and with Dolphin Browser I get to use pinch zoom and the scrolling is smoother than the stock browser. I'm sure they can fix these minor issues with updates.

You really are anti-iPhone if you believe that and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Although you pretty much nailed it by mentioning the UI. The UI can be a bit clunky at times compared to the iPhone. All goes back to simplicity and that increases speed.

Multimedia??? Sorry the Droid's screen is a lot crisper and movies / Games look better on it. Where I would agree with you is app / game availability and maturity which is understandable considering the head start Apple has had. But even so I've found many of the same or equivalent apps I had on the 3g so it's no where near as bad as some might make it out to be. Android's market is growing and is growing fast.

I never said anything about the screen, I didn't say anything regarding hardware for that matter. The screen is great on the Droid, in fact it's the best screen I've ever used. I said multimedia in terms of software is best on the iPhone and that is true with iTunes, iPod, video player built into the iPhone as well, enough said. Equivalent apps? Please share those for me. Please don't even say Facebook or any Twitter application. While Android apps are getting better they still have ways to go to get to iPhone caliber.

In many ways yes, but I thought we were talking about Android? Bit of a stretch? Sorry but the ability to easily multitask and to have 3rd party apps run in the background greatly enhances the usability of any device. You can make all the excuses you want for the iPhone's shortcomings, it doesn't change that fact.

I pretty much agreed with you but I just added a fact about battery life.

Please, spare me the battery lecture. Right now, a 3gs can hardly make it through the day with all the location services turned on and normal usage. I've seen the multitude of complaints all over the web and on the Apple forums. My coworker and several clients all complain about it. My Droid, even while mutitasking and with its location based services turned on, easily makes it through the work day with normal to heavy usage. Plus Droid users have the option of switching to a spare or extended (when they become available).

Come on this is something you should know about... I mean you did come from a Pre which has horrid battery life mainly because of multitasking. Battery life on the Droid and iPhone 3GS are decent at best but I can't ask for more knowing in general a smartphones battery life is pretty dismal, especially touch screen devices.

Billions? hahaha, I doubt that.

Why do you have a Droid again? If nothing comes close to the 3gs I fail to see the reason for owning both these phones.

Anyway I don't dog the iPhone because it's an Apple product(hell I owned a 3g), I criticize it because I've seen and experienced many of its shortcomings which fanboys continually like to sweep under the rug.

Oh and I'll take WebOS over the crap that's on the iPhone any day of the week.

I actually meant millions so please excuse my mistake. Why do I have a Droid? I love technology and I've owned/own every platform available. The Droid is a great device and I have one because I can. I never said the Droid overall is below the iPhone but I did say each respective phone have their pros and cons.

At the end of the day we can both agree to disagree on this one. No point of killing this thread. Enjoy your visit to our forums.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Since you bit and brought up some points that need addressing I will take you to task on a few things. I'm not trying to kill the thread but have a lively debate about things you mentioned in passing as if they're true.

So you don't have the device yet you continue to read iPhone forums, I spend time on too and apps crashing is not very common. That's not to say it does not have it's own set of issues. After all, there is no perfect phone out there. And 8 out of 10 times? That's exaggerated or you had a faulty device or were jailbroken.

I had a 3g for a year and I'm an avid forum reader. I do read forums/blogs quite a bit. I also extensively research before buying. So when you tell me crashing is not very common, I have to laugh. Maybe you speak for yourself. It seemed with each release of the OS update, some things were fixed and others were broken. I had less issues prior to 3.0, even though some apps still crashed. After the 3.0 update things got worse. The phone app reliability dropped and all sorts of other quirks showed up. Rather than deal with them, among others things, I sold it on Ebay. True 8/10 might be a bit of an exaggeration but it did require me to reset it quite a bit. My phone was never jailbroken and I did think about the fact that it might be hardware related but after reading thread after thread about the EXACT issues, I came to the conclusion it was more likely the result of faulty software.

I've had the 3GS since day one and not once, yes that's true, has it crashed to the point of resetting and I have about 80 apps on it. Android 2.0 is indeed a .0 release compared to a 1.2 release of the 3rd generation of iPhone software. You do the math. Perhaps you missed this.

I am well aware of the Dec 11 update. However I'm also a member of a multitude of forums and while the update does address some serious exchange sync issues, they're not issues shared by many people. I have no problems with syncing to my exchange server. In fact, most users are very happy with this version 1 device in its current state which says a lot. I never had an issue with the camera focus from day 1. And it's good to see Motorola/Verizon on the ball so early.

You are very lucky with your 3gs to have had it not crash to the point of resetting. Many others haven't been that lucky. For a 3rd generation device from a company that is supposedly almost perfect, I'm quite surprised to see
the kinds of issues people are continuing to have.

I never said anything about the screen, I didn't say anything regarding hardware for that matter. The screen is great on the Droid, in fact it's the best screen I've ever used. I said multimedia in terms of software is best on the iPhone and that is true with iTunes, iPod, video player built into the iPhone as well, enough said. Equivalent apps? Please share those for me. Please don't even say Facebook or any Twitter application. While Android apps are getting better they still have ways to go to get to iPhone caliber.

I consider iTunes to be substandard in almost every way to Double Twist, Songbird, Media Monkey, Winamp or even Motorola's Media Link. I used iTunes because I had no choice. Its clunky installation and overly simplistic UI is the reason I've had to (and continue to) troubleshoot a multitude of issues on client's computers. Luckily, it makes a backup automatically. I could go on for pages about my hate for iTunes but I'll leave it at that.

The music player on the iPhone was nothing special. Didn't see what the big deal was. I like the one on the Droid just as much or better even though it's plain jane. I does exactly what I need it to do. All it's missing IMO is an equalizer and I'm sure that's coming soon. The other supposed 'features' that some claim to miss are just fluff IMO. Syncing is also a piece of cake.

I don't use Facebook or Twitter on my phone but I do use Shazam, Stitcher radio, Droidlive, etc. some of which can also be found on the iPhone. I find them to be just as good. In fact Shazam performs much, much better on my Droid than it did on my iPhone. I've never had to hit tag twice to get it to recognize.

The built-in video player has worked great for the files it can recognize so I have no complaints there. I'm not impressed by fluff. As long as the video plays clearly, I'm happy. However I believe there are some codecs that require a third party player, so here the iPhone 'may' have an advantage.

The Youtube app on the Droid is also far superior to what's on the iPhone (imo) and the video quality is better as well (high quality has to be selected). Games? I can find all my favorites in the Market and the free ones that I've tried has been on par with what I had on the iPhone. No I'm not going to use my phone for more advanced games like quake, doom etc. That's what my PC is for.

Of course everyone's tastes are different and I'm sure there are some apps that are more functional on the iPhone, again, that's to be expected. But don't just discount the Android Market as some place full of weak apps. It's far from it.

Come on this is something you should know about... I mean you did come from a Pre which has horrid battery life mainly because of multitasking. Battery life on the Droid and iPhone 3GS are decent at best but I can't ask for more knowing in general a smartphones battery life is pretty dismal, especially touch screen devices.

The Pre's battery life was horrid mainly because it used one of the smallest batteries in terms of mah in the industry: 1100mah. Of course OS resource allocation, hardware and other factors do contribute but the main reason was the battery rating. Luckily this problem was easily solved with an extended battery.

Last edited:

KCaudell

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the comment that we have to give credit where credit is due. The iPhone was ahead of its time and a great platform that changed the cell phone landscape. It is still a great piece of hardware.

Where I disagree with Apple is the tight hold on the reins that Apple insists on keeping. I don't like iTunes for music organization that Apple insists that I use. I don't like the AT&T service as it's too expensive. I'm saving $50/month and getting data service for all four phones on the family plan instead of just my iPhone.

Apple has made a business decision and I have to make a decision that is best for me and my family. They have indeed lost my business.

But, the initial question was about the iPhone. It really is a great hardware platform. I just object to the business policies of Apple. I'll never buy a Mac either due to their monopolistic mentality.

KC

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I switched from an iphone to android. I have to admit. I loved my iphone. The only reason I switched is because my At&t signal took a turn for the worst. Now that I'm on android I would have to say I'm so glad it happened. :)

CyD13

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Is it just me or does the mere sight of an iPhone make anyone else nauseous? It is so over advertised and everyone and there mother is gaga over it. Am I the only one insulted by the way the machine treats you like an idiot and apple and AT&T can't make up there mind on what you can or can't do on it. And apple's nazi-like control over the apps store, I mean come on. All the more reason for me to absolutely adore my G1.

No, I'm not sick of the iPhone because I respect that everyone has their preferences. They can have their phone, I'll have mine. I don't judge.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
No one phone will kill iPhone but Android will

I have an Eris, but I wasn't aware til I hit this forum of how many phones used the Android OS. The media keeps looking for one phone to be "the iPhone Killer" but I don't think they'll find it. Seems to me that the Android OS, overall, will be the iPhone killer. It brings so much more diversity to the market, but it spread out across multiple phones, manufacturers and carriers.

Apple is so proprietary that I don't see them competing with it other than looking at the network speed of AT&T and the flexibility of accessories, apps and such that iPhone, iTunes etc offer. Phone to phone, though - everything I see and know says that Android will be the big dog for 2010 - though you won't see it in simply one phone.

Thoughts?

billbobaggins

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Why does everyone say"iphone killer" when it has never been the # 1 selling phone? There is no reason to have an iphone killer, unless you count the Blackberry curve that IS the iphone killer since it has outsold it since day 1.

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
There will never be an iPhone killer. Apple is just to perfect at marketing and creating trends. And the iPod/iPhone has become such trendy product. Plus it is a solid product.
When you really break it down the screen is the only thing going for it. Yes the Apple App store may have like 100,000 apps, but have you ever looked through them? 1) they count demos and free versions as separate apps, (so does google though), 2)and most important: most of them are crap. how many sodoku apps do you need? how many menu driven RPG's do you want? Most of the really worthwile apps are available or coming to android/blackberry/wm app stores.
So the iPhone can play music and videos? So can every other smartphone. No widgets on an iPhone though, can't even listen to pandora and check your mail at the same time. Even when other smartphones get that same fluid screen perfection, the iPhone will still outsell every single one of them for one reason only.

It's an iPhone, and everybody wants one because Apple says it's cool.

Why else would so many people settle for such crappy service, except to have the hippest phone. Even with less overall features than any other smartphone on the market, there will be no iPhone killer.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Why does everyone say"iphone killer" when it has never been the # 1 selling phone? There is no reason to have an iphone killer, unless you count the Blackberry curve that IS the iphone killer since it has outsold it since day 1.

The BlackBerry had a huge head start. That's the only reason it is where it's currently at. Face it, the iPhone is in a class of it own whether anyone wants to admit it or not. When the iPhone first was released you were talking about a $500 phone that you could not get a subsidy for. Where as you can get a Curve for what at the time 100 bucks? Can't even compare those two devices. Two different markets in my opinion.

The iPhone is compared to all touch screen smartphones and none come close to accomplishing what Apple has. With sales of only 20,000 Nexus One devices and 250,000 Moto Droids - it's going to take many more of these Android devices to even get their numbers close. Not happening folks as Apple shows no signs of letting their customers down with future releases.

*Disclaimer - I do own Apple products along with countless of other devices including my Moto Droid so please don't even mention Apple fanboy as I love all technology.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
The BlackBerry had a huge head start. That's the only reason it is where it's currently at. Face it, the iPhone is in a class of it own whether anyone wants to admit it or not. When the iPhone first was released you were talking about a $500 phone that you could not get a subsidy for. Where as you can get a Curve for what at the time 100 bucks? Can't even compare those two devices. Two different markets in my opinion.

The iPhone is compared to all touch screen smartphones and none come close to accomplishing what Apple has. With sales of only 20,000 Nexus One devices and 250,000 Moto Droids - it's going to take many more of these Android devices to even get their numbers close. Not happening folks as Apple shows no signs of letting their customers down with future releases.

*Disclaimer - I do own Apple products along with countless of other devices including my Moto Droid so please don't even mention Apple fanboy as I love all technology.

Um, the current sales figures for the Droid is probably over 1 million by now. The 250K was just in the first week. Yes the nexus launch was disappointing but it's way too early to sing the song of failure. When (not if) Google irons out its customer service issues and it's released to other carriers, things should begin to pickup.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/droid-approaching-1-million-sales-2009121/

As for the iPhone, well it is proof that Apple can sell ice to an Eskimo. The problem is the Eskimos now have more choice and are getting smarter.

As for Android, it took off and nothing is going to stop it. It's also spreading out. The Nexus is just one phone that's been over hyped. It was off to a bumby start, but Android is a different story. There are just way too many people who know about it now and the new generation of smartphones. And the ones in the pipeline will up the ante yet again. Watch iPhone sales slowly decrease in the years to come.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Um, the current sales figures for the Droid is probably over 1 million by now. The 250K was just in the first week. Yes the nexus launch was disappointing but it's way too early to sing the song of failure. When (not if) Google irons out its customer service issues and it's released to other carriers, things should begin to pickup.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/droid-approaching-1-million-sales-2009121/

As for the iPhone, well it is proof that Apple can sell ice to an Eskimo. The problem is the Eskimos now have more choice and are getting smarter.

As for Android, it took off and nothing is going to stop it. It's also spreading out. The Nexus is just one phone that's been over hyped. It was off to a bumby start, but Android is a different story. There are just way too many people who know about it now and the new generation of smartphones. And the ones in the pipeline will up the ante yet again. Watch iPhone sales slowly decrease in the years to come.

Um, sorry I wasn't clear enough. 1.6 million iPhone 3GS's were sold in the first 3 days compared to 20,000 and 250,000... What makes you think sales will slow when Apple introduces the next phone in the upcoming months? Have iPod sales slowed since it was first introduced? Nope. Again, not going to happen as it's a great consumer product.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Um, sorry I wasn't clear enough. 1.6 million iPhone 3GS's were sold in the first 3 days compared to 20,000 and 250,000... What makes you think sales will slow when Apple introduces the next phone in the upcoming months? Have iPod sales slowed since it was first introduced? Nope. Again, not going to happen as it's a great consumer product.

Nexus One Slows And Woes | Android Phone Fans

It's first week sales for all devices. Where are you getting the 3 days for the 3gs from? 1.6 million for a 3rd generation device that's available worldwide isn't that great. Also the next gen iPhone won't be revolutionary in the least and the competition will have their phones ready. Things have changed. Watch those numbers drop.