Why exactly does iOS 7 need to be 64bit?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Is Apple future proofing it's OS so that it can up the memory past 4GB someday?

Think Android will follow suit and jump to 64bit?

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Is Apple future proofing it's OS so that it can up the memory past 4GB someday?

Think Android will follow suit and jump to 64bit?

The fact that people were beta testing it on their older devices indicates that it does not need to be 64bit. So either it's related to the fingerprint sensor or some other hardware aspect, or yes, I think some sort of future proofing/vision/roadmap. Nice improvements, but they are still moving too slow on other things though..particularly with a larger screen. How many more people will go with Android over the next year due to wanting a larger screen? Every year they put this off, is that many more lost sales to a compeitor.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that it's just future proofing. It's a pretty normal thing for Apple to do. They like to be the first to do things and this was an obvious place where they could do that. It's just unfortunate that they're the first at something that everyone else will likely adopt before the user sees any advantages.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure Google will stealthly introduce 64bit extensions/libraries/drivers and not make a big deal of it.

We already have Android phones with 3GB of ram.. to access more than 3.5, we need 64bit..

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It's possible they have more in store for ios7. The first version focused primarily on the user interface because that's what consumers want to see.

In subsequent years, once apple had the design fixed, they can then concentrate in adding the features 64-bit was designed to handle?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh my goodness. This guy in my class today (he's an apple fanatic), would not shut up about how it will be 64bit. Oddly enough I asked him the same question. His response: "Theoretically, they could add support for up to 32Gb of ram with it."

His face practically exploded when he said it. Really though, there is no benefit in a smart phone being 64 bit, other than allowing for the os to recognize more installed ram.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh my goodness. This guy in my class today (he's an apple fanatic), would not shut up about how it will be 64bit. Oddly enough I asked him the same question. His response: "Theoretically, they could add support for up to 32Gb of ram with it."

His face practically exploded when he said it. Really though, there is no benefit in a smart phone being 64 bit, other than allowing for the os to recognize more installed ram.

And support for faster RAM.

Posted via Android Central App

willmuny

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Is it theorically possible to run 32 and 64 bit app on a 64bit android ? or we will need to at least recompile the app ? how does linux generaly handle that ?
does chip already exist for android phone ? (seems to be the first step ;)

Last edited:

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I would have loved to be there and put his back side back into place! 64bit processor in a phone? What's next? A clown popping out of your screen in 3d to slap fat people with greasy fingers?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I would have loved to be there and put his back side back into place! 64bit processor in a phone? What's next? A clown popping out of your screen in 3d to slap fat people with greasy fingers?

The A7 has a 64 bit processor not only for supporting more RAM but to crunch data faster. Get it out of your heads that its only for increased RAM.

buneech

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
The A7 has a 64 bit processor not only for supporting more RAM but to crunch data faster. Get it out of your heads that its only for increased RAM.

No, it has a 64 bit processor for marketing and future proofing iOS (also - increased ram).
It also has double the integer and floating point registers for faster data crunching.

TroyBoy30

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Apple is smart to lay the foundations for 64-bit mobile computing now, for three reasons. First, large memory capacity is an academic issue in the mobile market today, but it won't always be. Second, the 64-bit transition happens to come along with other chip changes that are useful immediately. And third, it gives Apple more flexibility to build ARM-based PCs if it chooses to embrace an alternative to Intel chips.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
No, it has a 64 bit processor for marketing and future proofing iOS (also - increased ram).
It also has double the integer and floating point registers for faster data crunching.

You can say that again! Love how 'innovative' Apple has become by stating they've merely changed the processor architecture and they'll probably make this a big deal when the damn handset goes on sale in the Apple store!

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The i5s new A7 64 bit CPU is a gimmick to sell the phone. There are No 64 bit Apps and it will be 4 to 7 years before people start writing them until there are few 32 bit Apple CPU devices out there. A 64 bit CPU can run a 32 bit App but a 32 bit CPU can NOT run a 64 bit App. In a phone or tablet the one and only advantage a 64 bit CPU has over a 32 bit CPU is addressing RAM. A 32 bit CPU can only address 4 GB of RAM in it's single word computer instructions width without going to double word that would slow it's performance down. Unless a phone needs more than 4GB of RAM there is little a 64 bit CPU improves on over a 32 bit CPU.

There are no 64 bit Apps so forget about moving data faster with a 64 bit CPU. A 64 bit CPU only runs up the cost since you now need twice as much RAM memory to perform the same OS actions. If the phone or tablet was a data base server then the extra data width would have a speed advantage. 64 bits may give better color resolution but the last thing we want is wider data with limited mobile data modem speed and where the phone network charges you by the bytes transmitted and received.

That said Samsung is going to 64 bit CPU....

Samsung's next Galaxy smartphones to feature 64-bit chips, too | Mobile - CNET News

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Found this article that backs up what I said;

There's a reason the computer industry is shifting to 64-bit computing; the main benefit is memory capacity that can exceed 4GB. But just as we saw with 64-bit personal computers arriving over the last decade, 64-bit designs don't automatically improve performance for most tasks. In fact, there can be drawbacks: it's likely that 64-bit versions of programs will be bulkier than their 32-bit equivalents.

On mobile devices, though, the 4GB limit has yet to arrive. Even though having more RAM is really useful, it's got big drawbacks in the mobile market: it's expensive, it takes up room -- and most problematic -- it draws a lot of electrical power and therefore shortens battery life. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3, an Android phone, has an unusually large 3GB of RAM, but it's also got an unusually large size to handle a bigger-than-average 3,200mAh battery.

Better 64-bit math is helpful for tasks like scientific simulations, but it's not a big deal on mobile.

The real reasons Apple's 64-bit A7 chip makes sense

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Found this article that backs up what I said;

There's a reason the computer industry is shifting to 64-bit computing; the main benefit is memory capacity that can exceed 4GB. But just as we saw with 64-bit personal computers arriving over the last decade, 64-bit designs don't automatically improve performance for most tasks. In fact, there can be drawbacks: it's likely that 64-bit versions of programs will be bulkier than their 32-bit equivalents.

On mobile devices, though, the 4GB limit has yet to arrive. Even though having more RAM is really useful, it's got big drawbacks in the mobile market: it's expensive, it takes up room -- and most problematic -- it draws a lot of electrical power and therefore shortens battery life. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3, an Android phone, has an unusually large 3GB of RAM, but it's also got an unusually large size to handle a bigger-than-average 3,200mAh battery.

Better 64-bit math is helpful for tasks like scientific simulations, but it's not a big deal on mobile.

The real reasons Apple's 64-bit A7 chip makes sense

Basically meaning there's no real point in having a 64 bit processor in a handset unless the handset manufacturer wants to add more than 4gig ram in the handset.