My Rant on the iPhone 5s

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
That is what the Note 3 is for!!!!

Exactly. That's basically what I told them. I use a galaxy s3 and it's plenty big to do what they want me to do. It's absolutely ridiculous my work would buy iPads for everyone when most of us (seeing a lot of my coworkers use Galaxy devices) don't need them.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that has changed now

Yeah, a lot has changed.

Posted via Android Central App

So now, instead of having apps that scale up badly on iOS, you can't even use those apps? So that means that you have about 1 million apps available on Android tablets, maybe 100,000 of which are optimized for tablets, and the rest of which aren't optimized but still work well on tablets, and while all apps for the iPad are optimized, there are only 400,000 available to download? I don't think that's a good solution.

Last edited:

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
So now, instead of having apps that scale up badly on iOS, you can't even use those apps? So that means that you have about 1 billion apps available on Android tablets, maybe 100,000 of which are optimized for tablets, and the rest of which aren't optimized but still work well on tablets, and while all apps for the iPad are optimized, there are only 400,000 available to download? I don't think that's a good solution.

Maybe read the post farish just made? You can still use the phone apps

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So now, instead of having apps that scale up badly on iOS, you can't even use those apps? So that means that you have about 1 billion apps available on Android tablets, maybe 100,000 of which are optimized for tablets, and the rest of which aren't optimized but still work well on tablets, and while all apps for the iPad are optimized, there are only 400,000 available to download? I don't think that's a good solution.

What? Apple by default shows iPad apps but you can choose to use iPhone apps.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
so now, instead of having apps that scale up badly on ios, you can't even use those apps? So that means that you have about 1 billion apps available on android tablets, maybe 100,000 of which are optimized for tablets, and the rest of which aren't optimized but still work well on tablets, and while all apps for the ipad are optimized, there are only 400,000 available to download? I don't think that's a good solution.

1 billion? Haha!

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Busted for what? As soon as an app is updated it is turned into 64 bit. The developer has no choice to not make a 64 bit version.

Thank you, good game.

How many times do I have to specify I'm talking about apps that actually USE the extra capability that 64 bit can give? Not just the same old app with the same old functions just simply converted to 64 bit? I think this is the 3rd time I've made that clear. Do you need a few more? Do I need to break out Google translator or something? How is this hard to grasp?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
How many times do I have to specify I'm talking about apps that actually USE the extra capability that 64 bit can give? Not just the same old app with the same old functions just simply converted to 64 bit? I think this is the 3rd time I've made that clear. Do you need a few more? Do I need to break out Google translator or something? How is this hard to grasp?

Any app that uses encryption or decryption will enjoy the benefit of 64 bit and probably be faster in some regards.

The problem is, you may never noticed it or never knew that was the case.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

You're confused. You don't have to add anything to take advantage, because xcode does that for you, exactly as he described.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

You're confused. You don't have to add anything to take advantage, because xcode does that for you, exactly as he described.

Please stop giving Chetan "I love my veggies" Takyar credit for repeating my postings. It will go to his head.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps you explained that in another thread. Perhaps one I am not participating in.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Tell me what the difference is between these two:

Scenario one: an app converts from 32 to 64 bit app, otherwise nothing about how it works is changed.

Scenario two: developer decides they want to add a bunch of complex capabilities not possible until now because 32bit wasn't capable of allowing it.

Can you explain what exactly is automated about scenario two?

Chet was trying to convince me that it's only going to take 3 months MAX for the majority of the devs in a store of nearly a million apps to not only do this, but to be motivated to do so. That right there is the part I find ludicrous, nothing more, nothing less.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Tell me what the difference is between these two:

Scenario one: an app converts from 32 to 64 bit app, otherwise nothing about how it works is changed.

Scenario two: developer decides they want to add a bunch of complex capabilities not possible until now because 32bit wasn't capable of allowing it.

Can you explain what exactly is automated about scenario two?

Chet was trying to convince me that it's only going to take 3 months MAX for the majority of the devs in a store of nearly a million apps to not only do this, but to be motivated to do so. That right there is the part I find ludicrous, nothing more, nothing less.

Nothing in the code about complex calculations, only code that really needs to change is assembly language. Data size and alignment is different so you need to take into account if you are exchanging app data between the 32bit version and 64bit version of the same app.

I can go into examples of this if you like.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Nothing in the code about complex calculations, only code that really needs to change is assembly language. Data size and alignment is different so you need to take into account if you are exchanging app data between the 32bit version and 64bit version of the same app.

I can go into examples of this if you like.

Not required, that was never the point of disagreement, I already stated my disagreement is with the timing.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Not required, that was never the point of disagreement, I already stated my disagreement is with the timing.

He is probably saying that all the apps will be 64 bit because of the dual binary when updated. When it comes to data types, that automatically changes with going to 64 bit, so some items will be planned carefully. I have no clue on a timeline myself but I would be worried about any app that uses iCloud to sync data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer